ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Moronic OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Moronic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 1,540
Guzzis vs Ducatis

Okay, I know Guzzis are alleged to be much, much cheaper to run and possibly even more reliable ...

... and that Ducatis these days tend to be faster.

BUT, which feel the best to ride?

I am talking mainly engine feel - you know that heartbeat thing that Ducatis have. Do Guzzis do that too?

Nevertheless, what about the chassis side? Guzzis used to handle. Do they still?

Are they capable of that same precision and near magically rewarding steering you can get from a Duc?

I suppose this should be in Beasts as my primary interest is in whether this:




(Pic, ashonbikes.com)

Could feel as good to ride as this:



(Pic: ashonbikes.com)

But as neither manufacturer has much of a following among Beasty types, I thought I'd get more input here.

For reference, I ride this:




... which feels fabulous in both respects but you can see why I am looking at panniers. Especially as I have an enthusiastic pillion, who likes camping.



I have ridden Guzzis, but a long time ago. On the two bikes in question, I know the Multi is sportier, the Guzzi more toury and dirty.

Can a Guzzi generate that same excitement some Ducs can offer even when just tooling down the road near the speed limit?

Thoughts invited from the cognoscenti.
__________________
Sorting out the S4Rs Ohlins shock: click here.

Moronic screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 08:59 AM
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
40cu.in.of.furey's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Milton, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 223
Maintenance

I would say the big difference is Maintenance. Do you do your own or take it to the dealer? That would be a deciding factor. shaft versus chain, lock nut and screw type valves vs desmo valves, obviously your familiar with the later. I'm sure you have thought of this as well, I to have been drooling over Guzzi's as well for quite some time.


Ben
__________________
07 DR650SE w/ FCR MX carb
01 Honda VFR800FI
73 Honda SL125
40cu.in.of.furey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
devildogg
Studly Adventurer
 
devildogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: MC nirvana Kootenay's BC
Oddometer: 595
Good luck on that one, I love my Multi but the Guzzi is a real differnt experience the Guzzi feels better in faster corners (maybe becasuse of the Ohlins) or maybe just because it sounds so cool with the Ti. pipes. THe Multi may have the advantage in the tighter (shrugs shoulders)
I couldn't decide so I kept both. Granted these are not real modern bikes but if I was forced to sell one it would be the Duc, the comparison between a 1200s and a Stelvio I would have to hang my hat on the Multi 150 HP

__________________

devildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
healeyblue
Old and Cunning
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Denver. CO
Oddometer: 73
Thumb

I currently own both. A Guzzi Norge and a Ducati Multistrada (air-cooled).

They both have a unique personality and provide an "involving" experience that most other bikes simply can't accomplish.

However, they are on opposite ends of the spectrum from each other.

Guzzis, in general, appeal to an older demographic. Many Guzzisiti have multiple motorcycles and many years of ownership. The great majority enjoy working on their own machines. A Guzzi engine sings a song that stirs the soul. It has a bass throb unlike any other.



Ducatis are more sporting and youth oriented. The new Multistrada is exceptionally sophisticated, very powerful and full of electronic technology. Not having spent enough time riding the new liquid cooled machine I can't speak to the level of "involvement" one has with the bike but the air cooled bikes are certainly on par with the Guzzis. Ducatis are higher revving machines with lighter flywheels and quicker response to throttle inputs.


If you don't do your own wrenching the Guzzi will probably cost less to maintain. However, there are fewer Guzzi dealers in the US and proximity to one (a good one) is valuable if you are not a DIYer.

Guzzis are updated tradition, Ducatis are leading edge technology.

I enjoy both of my Italians. They have a character unique to themselves yet, at the same time, wonderfully Italian.
healeyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mifune's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Oddometer: 493
I can only speak from my own limited experience of owning, both from new, a 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura and a 2007 Ducati 1098S. It's probably not a fair comparison, but here goes...

The Guzzi was a pretty bike. Even my wife liked the way it looked. But it was a heavy beast that made you feel the age of its technology. Loads of torque in the curves, a deep and reassuring grumble down below, but a handful to coax around them. Then one day the oil stopped flowing, a washing machine full of rocks started tumbling inside the bottom end, followed by silence. Biggest mistake I made was to buy a new engine for this bike. It had lost the will to live in the 21st century and I should have just listened to it.



The Ducati is a completely different sort of creature with no real point of comparison with the Guzzi. Everything about it says, "I'm sexy and you are going to pay heavily for the privlige of riding me." But it has never given me the tiniest bit of trouble, feels as light as a feather when you're whipping her around, excudes technical innovation and is all around just too much fun. My only complaint is that I'm not skilled enough to do her justice and feel vaguely embarassed for her to be seen with me in public.



I'm sure I must have been in love with the Moto Guzzi to have held onto it as long as I did, but I have never been tempted in the slightest to return to the brand.
__________________
2013 Ducati 1199 R
2012 KTM 500 EXC
2005 KTM 640 Adventure

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.

Mifune screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 11:18 AM
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
JamesG
Rabid Poster
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 10,946
apples and oranges

Totally different character and feel. The only thing they have in common is that both are Italian companies (oh and they share generators ).
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer
 
Dave.0's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The coldest part of Arizona
Oddometer: 727
I have a multistrada 1200s, with all tricky ohlins and stuff, and I have ridden the new stelvio. I think they are both great bikes and I may still have a stelvio one day. The main difference is how the engines make power and how you like to ride. The Multi is a superbike motor and rewards being driven like one with breathtaking speed and acceleration. The problem is that puts you well into triple digits in a heartbeat and isn't really usable much of the time. It will putt around fine, but its not really happy below 4k rpm. The stelvio has a motor that pulls easier from lower revs and seems happier at legal speeds. The stelvio weighs more, and that is noticeable at low speeds, but seems unimportant once up to speed. I wouldn't attempt to adjust the valves on the ducati, but the recommended valve interval is 15k miles and mine were in spec at that time. I now have 28k miles and have not had any issues other than the well known early recalls. I plan to keep the ducati a long time, but I still lust after the new Stelvio NTX with the 8 gallon tank.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,432
i think HealeyBlue offered the best response thus far. i've owned the Stelvio, both air/water cooled Multistradas, and to me, the feeling and vibe that the Guzzi motor gives off is like no other.....they truly are one of a kind. and what is more surprising is how well the bigger Stelvio handles, one would not think so given its size, but fast they are not.

if you're going to compare air cooled Ducatis motors to the Guzzi's, the question becomes more difficult for me, but i think i would still choose the Guzzi as being the more "feely" of the two.
__________________
2014 Ducati MTS1200S
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,558
The engines have different personalities, but if one appeals the other probably will.

Weird to compare the new Multistrada with the Stelvio. The Multi is more pavement oriented and has a shit-tonne more horsepower. The Stelvio has more suspension travel, the newest ones more fuel, and an air-cooled engine.

Guzzis are easy to maintain and make power in a satisfying way.

The Stelvio compares favorably with the R-GS. I would think the newest Multistrada is more in line with a 1050 Tiger.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
BUZZARD II
Old Geezer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: No.VA
Oddometer: 488
Had a Ducati and it was indeed the best handling bike I ever owned. But, it was designed for a smooth track. In the real world of potholes and tarsnakes it beat the snot out of you. And how fast do you really need to go?

That Guzzi V7 cafe racer looks like it might fit my needs. Yeah, I'm an old geezer.
BUZZARD II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,769
Honestly, I don't think it makes much difference. IF you appreciate Italic design and execution, they both converge on that point of artful understanding.
Guzzi people get labeled as weirdos by the mainstream of motorcycling, but really so do the Ducati fanciers. Both camps try to explain the mystique of their brand to people til it exhausts them.

You can love both. You probably already do. It's okay.

Speed limit tooling, they both do the same thing in singing a unique song and portaging you across mother Earth.

If it were me, I'd take the plunge and buy the Guzzi, just to go full on weirdo for once.
__________________
So there I was walking into a biker bar in Chattanooga with liberty spikes on my head and a drag queen beside me... - bcurvin
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,443
My 1098 was absolutely flawless over the 7k miles I put on it. It literally never needed a thing other than the 600 mile service and one oil change. I would buy it back today for what I sold it for if I could.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
I can only speak from my own limited experience of owning, both from new, a 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura and a 2007 Ducati 1098S. It's probably not a fair comparison, but here goes...

The Guzzi was a pretty bike. Even my wife liked the way it looked. But it was a heavy beast that made you feel the age of its technology. Loads of torque in the curves, a deep and reassuring grumble down below, but a handful to coax around them. Then one day the oil stopped flowing, a washing machine full of rocks started tumbling inside the bottom end, followed by silence. Biggest mistake I made was to buy a new engine for this bike. It had lost the will to live in the 21st century and I should have just listened to it.



The Ducati is a completely different sort of creature with no real point of comparison with the Guzzi. Everything about it says, "I'm sexy and you are going to pay heavily for the privlige of riding me." But it has never given me the tiniest bit of trouble, feels as light as a feather when you're whipping her around, excudes technical innovation and is all around just too much fun. My only complaint is that I'm not skilled enough to do her justice and feel vaguely embarassed for her to be seen with me in public.



I'm sure I must have been in love with the Moto Guzzi to have held onto it as long as I did, but I have never been tempted in the slightest to return to the brand.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
devildogg
Studly Adventurer
 
devildogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: MC nirvana Kootenay's BC
Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by healeyblue View Post
I currently own both. A Guzzi Norge and a Ducati Multistrada (air-cooled).

They both have a unique personality and provide an "involving" experience that most other bikes simply can't accomplish.

However, they are on opposite ends of the spectrum from each other.

Guzzis, in general, appeal to an older demographic. Many Guzzisiti have multiple motorcycles and many years of ownership. The great majority enjoy working on their own machines. A Guzzi engine sings a song that stirs the soul. It has a bass throb unlike any other.



Ducatis are more sporting and youth oriented. The new Multistrada is exceptionally sophisticated, very powerful and full of electronic technology. Not having spent enough time riding the new liquid cooled machine I can't speak to the level of "involvement" one has with the bike but the air cooled bikes are certainly on par with the Guzzis. Ducatis are higher revving machines with lighter flywheels and quicker response to throttle inputs.


If you don't do your own wrenching the Guzzi will probably cost less to maintain. However, there are fewer Guzzi dealers in the US and proximity to one (a good one) is valuable if you are not a DIYer.

Guzzis are updated tradition, Ducatis are leading edge technology.

I enjoy both of my Italians. They have a character unique to themselves yet, at the same time, wonderfully Italian.
Well said and totally accurate
__________________

devildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JJGeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sunny Seattle
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
BUT, which feel the best to ride?

I am talking mainly engine feel - you know that heartbeat thing that Ducatis have. Do Guzzis do that too?

Nevertheless, what about the chassis side? Guzzis used to handle. Do they still?

Are they capable of that same precision and near magically rewarding steering you can get from a Duc?
I've owned a bunch of Ducs, as well as a Guzzi 1200Sport and Griso (only bike I've ever regretted selling).

Both motors are great. If you like torque, and aren't as concerned about revs, then the Guzzi is the motor for you. Both sound great, but the new Ducs don't sound like they used to IMO. With a nice exhaust on new models from both manufacturers, I prefer the sound of the Guzzi. I also think the Guzzi motors look cooler. But again, both are great.

Ducati wins the chassis battle hands down. Guzzis are heavier bikes and don't feel as sporty. They'll do what you ask, but not as easily as the Duc. That said, they are very stable, and they don't feel as heavy as they are.

Between an MTS1200 and a Stelvio, I personally would choose the Guzzi. I love the looks of the Stelvio, and the ease of motor maintenance. I'm not a big fan of all of the gizmos on the MTS. BUT, I live in an are where good twisties are at least a couple hours away, and the cops hate motos. Based on that, the more relaxed ride of the Stelvio is appealing. If I lived in N. California with superb twisties all around I'd get the MTS (or actually the SMT).

For whatever inexplicable reason, I like Guzzis though.
__________________
'03 Yamaha R6
'06 Ducati 749S - DEAD
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 18,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Okay, I know Guzzis are alleged to be much, much cheaper to run and possibly even more reliable ...

... and that Ducatis these days tend to be faster.

BUT, which feel the best to ride?

I am talking mainly engine feel - you know that heartbeat thing that Ducatis have. Do Guzzis do that too?

Nevertheless, what about the chassis side? Guzzis used to handle. Do they still?

Are they capable of that same precision and near magically rewarding steering you can get from a Duc?


But as neither manufacturer has much of a following among Beasty types, I thought I'd get more input here.

For reference, I ride this:




... which feels fabulous in both respects but you can see why I am looking at panniers. Especially as I have an enthusiastic pillion, who likes camping.



I have ridden Guzzis, but a long time ago. On the two bikes in question, I know the Multi is sportier, the Guzzi more toury and dirty.

Can a Guzzi generate that same excitement some Ducs can offer even when just tooling down the road near the speed limit?

Thoughts invited from the cognoscenti.
I own an 08 Monster Tri Colour, an 08 GSA, an 05 Boxercup Replica and a brand new Grisso SE in tenni green. At 70 miles, the monster is coasting to a stop in need of fuel, the Grisso looks like its good for at least 100 miles so for me neither of them would be touring bikes at all. That being said, the Grisso motor does have a sweet sound and character by the bucket full. The fit a finish of the Moto Guzzi is several notches above the monster too. One thing it won't do as well as the monster though, is scare the hell out of you.
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014