User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
lostinthemarket OP
lurker

Oddometer: 35
Costa Rica Feb 2013 - good DS route?

I'm planning a week-long trip to Costa Rica and plan on doing the usual - no plans. I'll be flying in to San Jose and renting a small DS bike and making a loop around the country and hopefully making it back in time to fly out.

I plan on winging it like usual but don't want to spend all my time on a highway or in traffic. Does anyone have a general route that would take me off the beaten path but take me to through the highlights of the country? Thanks
lostinthemarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthemarket View Post
I'm planning a week-long trip to Costa Rica and plan on doing the usual - no plans. I'll be flying in to San Jose and renting a small DS bike and making a loop around the country and hopefully making it back in time to fly out.

I plan on winging it like usual but don't want to spend all my time on a highway or in traffic. Does anyone have a general route that would take me off the beaten path but take me to through the highlights of the country? Thanks

A week doesn't give you much time to do a "loop" around the country. That would be alot of tarmac miles each day.
You'd be better off narrowing down what/which area you'd like to see and take it from there, i.e. SJO to the North volcanoes and beaches or SJO volcanoes and to the south.....
I'm hoping to get down in Feb also
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
lostinthemarket OP
lurker

Oddometer: 35
I was thinking of roughly following the route of poolman on his trip: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=costa+rica

Any other suggestions?
lostinthemarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,213
They're right...a week is not enough time to see the country, so focus on making the time you have good. Poolmans route is a good one for that time frame, and you'll get to see volcanoes, the mountains, and the Peninsula. Riding down the coastal Nicoyan Peninsula is a great time with lots of challenging off road stuff. Fortuna, Monteverde, Tamarindo, Montezuma, ferry to Puntarenas, Jaco, Manuel Antonio, then back to SJO. That'll keep you plenty bizee for a week and may be a bit too much, but you can adjust as you go. Have a great time and stay in local cabina's and eat at soda's and speak as much spanish as you can.
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Osa

Don't know you skills but OSA has the best riding in CR, if you want water crossings, semi steep grades head down to OSA, take Rincon toward Puerto JImenez and the cut off to Drake Bay, spend a night at tent camp and ride out same route back to Rincon and down to Puerto Jimenez for a night in town. Take the gravel road down along the tip of OSA and Golito Bay to Carate. Spend a night at Lunar Lodge sipping a cool cervaza and watching the rip tides. I have rode a lot in CR, the roads are great, paved and great views, but find those places crowed with tourists. In OSA there are a lot of eco tourists but all so great mom and pop cabina's and tent camps. In Carate you might run into the Turtle watch group who set up a couple years ago to go out everynight and tag the Ridleys, bury there eggs in an hatchery and then get to release the babies that incubated into the ocean,,, one of the coolest things I have ever done.
ApexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote