User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Honda XR650R (BRP) Exhaust Question

My XR650 R (kicker) still has the original muffler but it seems that the former owner modified something. I asked a guy who had the same bike and he said there is some kind of flame arrestor screen and/or spark arrestor inside the muffler which needs to be modified to get full power. Well, I have no clue but it really makes me mad as the darn thing is far too loud. And as I am riding on...err... lets say some routes where it is forbidden I need a silent muffler. Dont get me wrong I am not a hooligan racing on closed frie trails or farm lanes, I try to be a good boy and I dont want to attract attention.

In Europe I need a f*****g EC approved exhaust which is hard to get. Any ideas which brand I could get or if it is possible to alter the existing (original) muffler? If I could keep the original one it would be great. Would it help to put some new wool or damping stuff in the originl muffler (sorry dunno the correct term, I mean that stuff which one can buy to put into the muffler) ...

Thanks
Steve

Steveman screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 12:16 PM Reason: spelling error
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
The stock tip is part number 18317-MBN-670 (use your favorite OEM parts dealer or the googles)

But it is expensive. I would suggest finding a used stock exhaust on ebay or another used market. Or make your own. I made one for my 600 out of a steel sheet thing, but the baffle bolts to the outside so it was easy to ghetto rig one.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good idea, will check for a used one. Selfmade is a no-no as in Austria you need an EC approval or original muffler with original manufacturer number...

Thank you,
Steve
Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,266
I have the HRC tip on my stock muffler, which is similar the 2" hole saw mod, but I have this Baja Designs quiet tip installed in it. It really cuts the noise and hardly affects power. Unfortunately, they do not make them anymore for some reason?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
You take the original baffle out use a hole saw to remove the center part of the baffle.Then re-install baffle.The hole saw needs to fit just inside the outer chrome pipe on the baffle.Pipe looks stock and has all oem parts # remaining and isnt overly loud-sounds about like an aftermarket pipe.Oem pipes cheap on ebay.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I have the HRC tip on my stock muffler, which is similar the 2" hole saw mod, but I have this Baja Designs quiet tip installed in it. It really cuts the noise and hardly affects power. Unfortunately, they do not make them anymore for some reason?!
Meaning I cant get one anyway...
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
You take the original baffle out use a hole saw to remove the center part of the baffle.Then re-install baffle.The hole saw needs to fit just inside the outer chrome pipe on the baffle.Pipe looks stock and has all oem parts # remaining and isnt overly loud-sounds about like an aftermarket pipe.Oem pipes cheap on ebay.
Thx, will try to get a stock muffler or baffle and see what I can do...

CU
Steve
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Good idea, will check for a used one. Selfmade is a no-no as in Austria you need an EC approval or original muffler with original manufacturer number...

Thank you,
Steve
I just mean the baffle to quiet it down...unless you need approval on that too? O_o
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
I just mean the baffle to quiet it down...unless you need approval on that too? O_o
I copy, sorry was a misunderstanding...
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,964
Didn't see the HRC tip mentioned, it's louder than stock but still much quieter than most pipes. Not annoying and power is good too.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just to clear this up -- DON'T drill out to 2" with 2" hole saw -- TOO LOUD
JUST DRILL OUT THE SMALLER PART - or grind off the weld at end of pipe
you are just removing the smallest restriction - going to 1.25" from .625"
if you don't have a hole saw set - get someone with a lathe to turn off the weld on end of pipe
hope this helps
I did the 2" mod and after the novelty wore off - yes it's to loud
then found a stock tip and only removed the small sausage looking part - just right
with the stock 5/8" tip the bike was a 300 lb pig with the power of a 250cc - useless
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Didn't see the HRC tip mentioned, it's louder than stock but still much quieter than most pipes. Not annoying and power is good too.
Thanx, it was mentioned above but hard to get...

Thanks again
Steve
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldit View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just to clear this up -- DON'T drill out to 2" with 2" hole saw -- TOO LOUD
JUST DRILL OUT THE SMALLER PART - or grind off the weld at end of pipe
you are just removing the smallest restriction - going to 1.25" from .625"
if you don't have a hole saw set - get someone with a lathe to turn off the weld on end of pipe
hope this helps
I did the 2" mod and after the novelty wore off - yes it's to loud
then found a stock tip and only removed the small sausage looking part - just right
with the stock 5/8" tip the bike was a 300 lb pig with the power of a 250cc - useless
Aaah! Yeppers, that helps a lot! Great hints! Many thanks, I am already bidding on a complete original muffler on European Ebay. Will try exactly the mods you mentioned.

Cheers Steve