ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 470
Honda XR650R (BRP) Exhaust Question

My XR650 R (kicker) still has the original muffler but it seems that the former owner modified something. I asked a guy who had the same bike and he said there is some kind of flame arrestor screen and/or spark arrestor inside the muffler which needs to be modified to get full power. Well, I have no clue but it really makes me mad as the darn thing is far too loud. And as I am riding on...err... lets say some routes where it is forbidden I need a silent muffler. Dont get me wrong I am not a hooligan racing on closed frie trails or farm lanes, I try to be a good boy and I dont want to attract attention.

In Europe I need a f*****g EC approved exhaust which is hard to get. Any ideas which brand I could get or if it is possible to alter the existing (original) muffler? If I could keep the original one it would be great. Would it help to put some new wool or damping stuff in the originl muffler (sorry dunno the correct term, I mean that stuff which one can buy to put into the muffler) ...

Thanks
Steve

Steveman screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 12:16 PM Reason: spelling error
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 205
The stock tip is part number 18317-MBN-670 (use your favorite OEM parts dealer or the googles)

But it is expensive. I would suggest finding a used stock exhaust on ebay or another used market. Or make your own. I made one for my 600 out of a steel sheet thing, but the baffle bolts to the outside so it was easy to ghetto rig one.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 470
Good idea, will check for a used one. Selfmade is a no-no as in Austria you need an EC approval or original muffler with original manufacturer number...

Thank you,
Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,266
I have the HRC tip on my stock muffler, which is similar the 2" hole saw mod, but I have this Baja Designs quiet tip installed in it. It really cuts the noise and hardly affects power. Unfortunately, they do not make them anymore for some reason?!

__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer
 
oldxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: central komifornia
Oddometer: 1,001
You take the original baffle out use a hole saw to remove the center part of the baffle.Then re-install baffle.The hole saw needs to fit just inside the outer chrome pipe on the baffle.Pipe looks stock and has all oem parts # remaining and isnt overly loud-sounds about like an aftermarket pipe.Oem pipes cheap on ebay.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I have the HRC tip on my stock muffler, which is similar the 2" hole saw mod, but I have this Baja Designs quiet tip installed in it. It really cuts the noise and hardly affects power. Unfortunately, they do not make them anymore for some reason?!
Meaning I cant get one anyway...
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
You take the original baffle out use a hole saw to remove the center part of the baffle.Then re-install baffle.The hole saw needs to fit just inside the outer chrome pipe on the baffle.Pipe looks stock and has all oem parts # remaining and isnt overly loud-sounds about like an aftermarket pipe.Oem pipes cheap on ebay.
Thx, will try to get a stock muffler or baffle and see what I can do...

CU
Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Good idea, will check for a used one. Selfmade is a no-no as in Austria you need an EC approval or original muffler with original manufacturer number...

Thank you,
Steve
I just mean the baffle to quiet it down...unless you need approval on that too? O_o
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
I just mean the baffle to quiet it down...unless you need approval on that too? O_o
I copy, sorry was a misunderstanding...
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 4,964
Didn't see the HRC tip mentioned, it's louder than stock but still much quieter than most pipes. Not annoying and power is good too.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Weldit's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Muskoka Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
You take the original baffle out use a hole saw to remove the center part of the baffle.Then re-install baffle.The hole saw needs to fit just inside the outer chrome pipe on the baffle.Pipe looks stock and has all oem parts # remaining and isnt overly loud-sounds about like an aftermarket pipe.Oem pipes cheap on ebay.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just to clear this up -- DON'T drill out to 2" with 2" hole saw -- TOO LOUD
JUST DRILL OUT THE SMALLER PART - or grind off the weld at end of pipe
you are just removing the smallest restriction - going to 1.25" from .625"
if you don't have a hole saw set - get someone with a lathe to turn off the weld on end of pipe
hope this helps
I did the 2" mod and after the novelty wore off - yes it's to loud
then found a stock tip and only removed the small sausage looking part - just right
with the stock 5/8" tip the bike was a 300 lb pig with the power of a 250cc - useless
__________________
'11 Dakar 990
Weldit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Didn't see the HRC tip mentioned, it's louder than stock but still much quieter than most pipes. Not annoying and power is good too.
Thanx, it was mentioned above but hard to get...

Thanks again
Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldit View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just to clear this up -- DON'T drill out to 2" with 2" hole saw -- TOO LOUD
JUST DRILL OUT THE SMALLER PART - or grind off the weld at end of pipe
you are just removing the smallest restriction - going to 1.25" from .625"
if you don't have a hole saw set - get someone with a lathe to turn off the weld on end of pipe
hope this helps
I did the 2" mod and after the novelty wore off - yes it's to loud
then found a stock tip and only removed the small sausage looking part - just right
with the stock 5/8" tip the bike was a 300 lb pig with the power of a 250cc - useless
Aaah! Yeppers, that helps a lot! Great hints! Many thanks, I am already bidding on a complete original muffler on European Ebay. Will try exactly the mods you mentioned.

Cheers Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014