ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
MrBob
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,228
Before my last trip I shopped in vain around Boulder for the gear I wanted and ended up at Performance and Moto Gear in Denver, where the service is usually excellent and prices usually at internet prices.
RMK in Longmont: I've purchased oil filters and such but, that's it. They did have some good prices on low-end riding gear.
Mikes: Not much inventory on the floor, nothing I was interested in, I was ignored while I was there.
Colorado Powersports in Boulder: I buy oil filters from them. Always friendly service at the parts counter.
Epic: Screwed up a simple job and I needed to chase after them to fix it. No apology or recognition of the inconvenience. Sort of an adolescent feel to the place, IMHO. Did a great job of straightening out a carburetor issue I had.
Some gear can be had at Wolfman Luggage in Longmont.
I need to pay a visit to that place in Loveland.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider
 
AteamNM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sandia Mountains New Mexico
Oddometer: 3,243
Is there not a BMW dealer in FC that you should insect and buy their high end helmets?

Excellent thread.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #18
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Oddometer: 72
Thumb

Thank you everyone, you guys/girls are great
ibeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
beernutt
This space for rent
 
beernutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 299
Set of tire irons - $25
1 hour of your time - ???
Learning how to change you own tires - well, you know.

A second or third opinion about Mike's Motorcycle in Boulder - not the friendliest place but Mike is a good guy at heart. (his wife, not so sure...) He's talked me through some issues with my R80 and even if it's not the chummiest experience I still buy my BMW expendable parts (filters, gaskets, seals etc) there. Buy local, spend local, save local.
beernutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
Performance Cycle
303-744-2011
 
Performance Cycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 97
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutt View Post
Buy local, spend local, save local.
Love it! :)
Performance Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic
 
Wannabeeuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Boulder
Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutt View Post
Set of tire irons - $25
1 hour of Owen's time - ???
Learning how to change you own tires - well, you know.

A second or third opinion about Mike's Motorcycle in Boulder - not the friendliest place but Mike is a good guy at heart. (his wife, not so sure...) He's talked me through some issues with my R80 and even if it's not the chummiest experience I still buy my BMW expendable parts (filters, gaskets, seals etc) there. Buy local, spend local, save local.
Fixed this for you, buddy.

But seriously, changing your own tires is a necessary skill.
__________________
"Build a man a fire and you will keep him warm for a day, set the man on fire and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life"

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
wakewop
Hucker
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: westminster co
Oddometer: 663
For tires I would go to Tfog. He is an active member here and has great service and prices !
wakewop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Oddometer: 72
Eh?

Do dual sport tires have to be balanced like street tires?
ibeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #24
Redhurricane
Adventurer
 
Redhurricane's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Oddometer: 79
I work on all my own stuff. Occasionally run to Sun Ent but find that pricing is really not even close to competitive. However, I have bought two bikes from Rob, sales manager. a CRF250X, and a CRF150F. Auction bikes when the economy tanked for 40% below msrp. random occasions I will buy a set of bark busters of other simple accessory when I am in a time crunch.

I try to support local businesses when I can, but rockymountainmc/atv almost always has far better prices and free shipping over $100.

Tires I buy when I am in Southern California at Cycle Parts West "back to the desert" sale or at Chaparral on my way back out of California. With a small herd of bikes I have to go with the best purchase i can make. NO ONE in the Front Range has been even close to competitive on tire prices in my experience.
Redhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #25
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeme1 View Post
Do dual sport tires have to be balanced like street tires?
They should be, especially if you have rim locks. A quick and dirty method is to put an axle through the wheel, and support it on jackstands. Place stick-on weights on the rim until the wheel is balanced, i.e., when spun it will not stop at the same place all the time. Put some nice looking duct tape over the weights just to make sure they don't come off. (This is what I do)
__________________
"We hang around people who think these activities are normal."
"Me and gravity, we are really, really good friends." - Streetbike Tommy, Nitro Circus
"I'm a dude in his mid-40s, who acts likes he's in his 20's. But I don't plan on stopping any time soon." - Ken Block
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #26
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell
 
PrairieRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: As near Hell as I can get
Oddometer: 3,874
I've changed my own tires and used the axle balancing method as well. Only difference is I make my own weights from melted down car wheel weights that I usually find stuck in the pavement outside tire shops. I use some double thick heavy duty aluminum foil to make a rectangular mold and pour in the melted lead. I score the cooled bar with a chisel so I can break them apart more easily. Once the weights are positioned where they need to be, I glue them down with silicone and leave the duct tape on to hold them there until the silicone is dry. Those darned wheel weights can be expensive! Yes, I own a KLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42 View Post
They should be, especially if you have rim locks. A quick and dirty method is to put an axle through the wheel, and support it on jackstands. Place stick-on weights on the rim until the wheel is balanced, i.e., when spun it will not stop at the same place all the time. Put some nice looking duct tape over the weights just to make sure they don't come off. (This is what I do)



Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 KLR650
1999 DR350SEX
2003 CRF230F
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #27
TooFast
Studly Adventurer
 
TooFast's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Rocky Mountains
Oddometer: 630
Keep an eye on Sun Honda -

I bought a left over XR600 via phone and credit card deposit.

But when I arrived and read the paperwork before signing, it was $250 higher than agreed on over the phone - they tried sneaking in some shipping and setup.

TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Oddometer: 72
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42 View Post
They should be, especially if you have rim locks. A quick and dirty method is to put an axle through the wheel, and support it on jackstands. Place stick-on weights on the rim until the wheel is balanced, i.e., when spun it will not stop at the same place all the time. Put some nice looking duct tape over the weights just to make sure they don't come off. (This is what I do)


Right on, what about scotch tape? A LOT of it
ibeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Oddometer: 72
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhurricane View Post
I work on all my own stuff. Occasionally run to Sun Ent but find that pricing is really not even close to competitive. However, I have bought two bikes from Rob, sales manager. a CRF250X, and a CRF150F. Auction bikes when the economy tanked for 40% below msrp. random occasions I will buy a set of bark busters of other simple accessory when I am in a time crunch.

I try to support local businesses when I can, but rockymountainmc/atv almost always has far better prices and free shipping over $100.

Tires I buy when I am in Southern California at Cycle Parts West "back to the desert" sale or at Chaparral on my way back out of California. With a small herd of bikes I have to go with the best purchase i can make. NO ONE in the Front Range has been even close to competitive on tire prices in my experience.

Thank you Red and everyone else for your input, it is GREATLY appreciated!
I decided to pick up some tires, stand, tire levers from Scott at Sun Enterprises. SUPER nice guy, very helpful. Scott introduced me to another accessory guy who was very knowledgable as well as nice as well. Price on a set of tires wasn't much more than online prices. I prefer to support my local shops as much as I can.


I hope to meet some of you soon! I am in Broomfield so if you are close let me know.


Jeff
ibeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #30
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieRider View Post
... 'Only difference is I make my own weights from melted down car wheel weights that I usually find stuck in the pavement outside tire shops. I use some double thick heavy duty aluminum foil to make a rectangular mold and pour in the melted lead. I score the cooled bar with a chisel so I can break them apart more easily. Once the weights are positioned where they need to be, I glue them down with silicone and leave the duct tape on to hold them there until the silicone is dry. Those darned wheel weights can be expensive! Yes, I own a KLR.
That sounds like a lot of work, and don't breathe the fumes. Harbor Freight sells wheel weights, in 1/4 and 1/2 oz sizes, and were in stock at the HF in Ft. Collins. They are not made of lead, but steel or something, because lead is being banned and phased out everywhere throughout the world. They cost a few bucks, so they could be too expensive for a KLR.
__________________
"We hang around people who think these activities are normal."
"Me and gravity, we are really, really good friends." - Streetbike Tommy, Nitro Circus
"I'm a dude in his mid-40s, who acts likes he's in his 20's. But I don't plan on stopping any time soon." - Ken Block
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014