Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #226
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Seriously, man. That is one sweet ride. Not that the Subie isn't awesome in its way too, but there's a certain something about old 'dubs. Thanks for sharing!
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #227
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,909
That VW prerunner is one of the coolest rigs i've ever seen. . . . . want.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #228
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
I agree 100% with the comments about that Type 3...that's why I posted it!

Today, I brought the car over to Lonnie's. He took some notes, some measurements and photos and he will be mocking up some of our graphic options!

Then stopped at the local O'Reilly's just to browse, came out and saw this photo op of the race car next to a standard Legacy Brighton wagon.

And then installed some of my $3 roll cage padding.....yes that's a beer in the cup holder. I was parked in my driveway at the time!!

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #229
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
I like how the wheels/tires are, now, flush with the fenders. That's the way every car and truck should be.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #230
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRags View Post
Seriously, man. That is one sweet ride. Not that the Subie isn't awesome in its way too, but there's a certain something about old 'dubs. Thanks for sharing!
+1 on the Bug and Sube too. Been enjoying this build up - good luck with the race!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #231
erda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
So, any new work been done? Enjoying your 'journey' to date.

Previous rides: 2009 V-Strom 650SEA; 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex
erda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #232
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by erda View Post
So, any new work been done? Enjoying your 'journey' to date.

Nah, I sold the car and moved on to basket weaving

pretty cool, huh??

I wonder how long before the ADV Basket-Harley haters will start hating.....

Ok, let's see. The car is at Prevailing Communications so Tim (one of my gracious sponsors) can install the race radio, required race lighting and some other stuff like a few more 12v outlets, and other goodies.

Like everything else, we are getting down to the wire...67 days left until the race, so my wish list has been diminished to the necessity list. I was a few days late getting the car to Tim, but I hope he has the minimum needed done by this weekend. Then I hope to have the passenger seat mounted and door bars installed if Ray has time on Saturday. Then I need to finish painting the back of the cage.

On March 2, the car goes back to David at Apple Automotive in Vancouver for some tweaking. Although the motor is running sweet, he wants to replace some timing belt tensioners with some tough new stuff, and will be throwing on a higher quality timing belt. We want all new stuff because if that shit fails during the race...we are done..with it being an interference motor and all.

The skid plates are still not on, as I have been in no hurry since we are still working on the car and drilling holes and such. I might just wait until David is done with everything then button up the skid plate and fab up an additional one for the fuel tank.

My trip to vegas garnered me a crap load of tools and stuff for the garage. I have been spending a lot of time trying to get the garage in shape so I can actually fit the car inside to work on it when I get it back!! For now, I have the patented "Hoarder's path." If you look closely, you can see three old Honda's. The poor SL350 racing bike is buried under some peg board and Subaru crap...oh the indignity of it all!

I picked up some of these...how the hell I lasted this long without them, I don't know.

I did have fun on clearance racks and Goodwill over the weekend. I have been eyeballing WestCoast style pick-up mirrors thinking one might work mounted horizontally on the roll cage...as it sure would give huge rear view! I found this one for under $6 bucks brand new on the clearance rack at O'Reilly's.

Then I found a new sun screen for the front window at Goodwill for 3 bucks complete with small screens for the side windows. There is one thing I have learned over the years, that keeping stuff out of view helps to discourage thieves. The rear side windows are probably going to be covered with vinyl, so I wanted something to keep prying eyes away...as well as reduce interior temperatures when the car is sitting in the sun. I have one I use for the Sprinter and it works great.

I was hoping to run General Tires as they are the title sponsor, but they still aren't done with the production run for the tire size I need. I will be calling them tomorrow to see when they are expected. I have ordered some patches for our race suits...I'm going with some retro stuff just cuz...here's a couple.

I also ordered up some of these beauties to sew up on the race suit and some Dickie's pit shirts. They should be here in a few days

I'm figuring out some of the little details, which is what I really enjoy. I've been thinking a lot about our navigation set-up. I sold my Garmin Montana GPS to a fellow Mexican 1000 competitor and have decided to rely on my Garmin Oregon. I just wouldn't have used the Montana much, so we put the money toward an iPad which made Laura very happy! Win-win...as they say! I was thinking of using a netbook running a GPS puck for Laura to gander at during the race - but I'm not even sure about this, as it will be a rough ride.

I will also have the Motion X GPS app on my iPhone as a back up, since I'll have the phone for tunes anyway. It actually is a pretty robust app and for about $4 bucks extra, I am now able to load 2000 waypoints, which is plenty for the race course; even after Luke gets done with tweaking the route/track. It allows you to preload maps so you don't need to have a data or cell signal to use it. I have already installed the Baja map and loaded last year's course on it and it seems to like it just fine! All you really need for this race is to follow the line on the gps...you're not really doing any hardcore navigating. Besides, we will have the roadbook and are planning on using that as much as possible.

I suspect the cockpit will be full of little gadgets on Ram mounts....GPS's, iPhones, SPOT, Go-Pro, etc..

I sure hope Lonnie has ordered the vinyl....I am getting antsy to get the car looking like a race car!!

I now have a battery sponsor...more on this later!

Things should really start getting crazy now!! And once Luke's CB Desert Sled is running, we will be testing the crap out of these things!

Thanks for following along guys...there should be some "good" updates coming soon!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #233
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Awesome! I'm diggin' the patches and can't wait to see the Subie electronics suite and bitchin' graphics!

As for the basket-weave Harley... The ADV Basket-Harley haters always be hatin'

Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #234
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,916
Can you post up which timing belt tensioner you are using? I just bought an outback today and it's going to need a new one soon.

Thanks!

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #235
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro View Post
Can you post up which timing belt tensioner you are using? I just bought an outback today and it's going to need a new one soon.

Thanks!
I sure will! I'm guessing you mean when he installs the new ones.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #236
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,172
Quote:

I will also have the Motion X GPS app on my iPhone as a back up, since I'll have the phone for tunes anyway. It actually is a pretty robust app and for about $4 bucks extra, I am now able to load 2000 waypoints, which is plenty for the race course; even after Luke gets done with tweaking the route/track. It allows you to preload maps so you don't need to have a data or cell signal to use it. I have already installed the Baja map and loaded last year's course on it and it seems to like it just fine! All you really need for this race is to follow the line on the gps...you're not really doing any hardcore navigating. Besides, we will have the roadbook and are planning on using that as much as possible.

Yo Paul, please help me with this.

If there is no cell service or even just poor service then there is no gps function because multiple tower connections are needed to triangulate a location. So at this point your intent is to just use the phone as a "paper" map, is that correct?

This sounds a bit daring if I'm correct, but then you are an outa sight thrill seeker. Oh.. and your wife has a big pair of brass ones to tag along with ya.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #237
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,366
Newer iPhones have a stand alone GPS gadget inside. I use the Motion X as a backup to my Montana-no cell signal needed, just preload the maps.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #238
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
I did have fun on clearance racks and Goodwill over the weekend. I have been eyeballing WestCoast style pick-up mirrors thinking one might work mounted horizontally on the roll cage...as it sure would give huge rear view! I found this one for under $6 bucks brand new on the clearance rack at O'Reilly's.

Say Paul...if ya want a rear-view for the roll cage, I've got onna these 5 lens rear view mirrors from a race car that you can HAVE!!
(it IS for a good cause after all!)

lemme know if ya want it

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #239
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
This thread is great, im in
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #240
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,450
I have a USB GPS you can borrow for the trip if needed/wanted.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: