Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.14 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #241
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Newer iPhones have a stand alone GPS gadget inside. I use the Motion X as a backup to my Montana-no cell signal needed, just preload the maps.

What he said

Also, many new android phones also have a gps chipset that will work. Lots of apps popping up. Trust me, you'll go cross-eyed researching it all. But unless you really need a super robust stand-alone GPS, phones and tablets will work just fine with the right app.

The iPhone is just amazing when you think of it. For adventures like this, it can be used as a GPS, camera, video camera, web browser, OBD 2 reader, iPod for music and video playback, and much more if I wanted too...oh yeah, it has a phone feature too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
Say Paul...if ya want a rear-view for the roll cage, I've got onna these 5 lens rear view mirrors from a race car that you can HAVE!!
(it IS for a good cause after all!)

lemme know if ya want it
Looks like it might be a bit too big...but hell yeah, I'd try it! I guess when I head south I'll have to head your way. Unless we meet up before that.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #242
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I have a USB GPS you can borrow for the trip if needed/wanted.
That would be great! Because the Oregon and Montana do not feed a NMEA signal, so even an older gps would work as the GPS reciever for the notebook.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #243
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 584
Notebook

I have a Panasonic Toughbook that I can send your way if you're worried about the reliability of the notebook. I forget if it is a CF-25 or 35 or whatever, but i looks something like this:

I think it is running Windows XP at the moment. This is similar to what police have in their cruisers and was a demil piece that I put together from what was being scrapped.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #244
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

And now a word from our non-paying sponsor...

Nice little Subaru history lesson.

I really love the look of the new Crosstrek...maybe in 16 years, I'll race one in Mexico!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #245
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
I have a Panasonic Toughbook that I can send your way if you're worried about the reliability of the notebook. I forget if it is a CF-25 or 35 or whatever, but i looks something like this:

I think it is running Windows XP at the moment. This is similar to what police have in their cruisers and was a demil piece that I put together from what was being scrapped.

- Ken
PM Sent
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #246
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Beware of assisted GPS mode in devices

You might want to consider using a tablet with a bluetooth GPS puck. The setup is compact, reliable, self powered and can be placed for good reception without cords. Obviously with pre-loaded base maps.

Virtually all modern smart phones and tablets with cellular data capability use a method called "assisted GPS" to determine their position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

This works well in areas with cell coverage, but many implementations will fail to produce a position at all without cellular coverage - even though the device also incorporates a GPS chip.

Many riders trying to use smart phones and tablets for GPS find out about this the hard way when they get out in the boonies.

General Aviation pilots solve this problem by using a small bluetooth GPS puck to feed position to a tablet (iPad or Android). The Dual
XGPS150A puck is one of the most popular, I have one and it works quite well.

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #247
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by simestd View Post
You might want to consider using a tablet with a bluetooth GPS puck. The setup is compact, reliable, self powered and can be placed for good reception without cords. Obviously with pre-loaded base maps.

Virtually all modern smart phones and tablets with cellular data capability use a method called "assisted GPS" to determine their position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

This works well in areas with cell coverage, but many implementations will fail to produce a position at all without cellular coverage - even though the device also incorporates a GPS chip.

Many riders trying to use smart phones and tablets for GPS find out about this the hard way when they get out in the boonies.

General Aviation pilots solve this problem by using a small bluetooth GPS puck to feed position to a tablet (iPad or Android). The Dual XGPS150A puck is one of the most popular, I have one and it works quite well.

Good info, thanks.

Like I said, I have a Garmin Oregon and roadbook as our primary nav system. The iPhone, notebook, or tablet or anything else is more playing around to see how it all works. I know a racer in the M1K used Motion X on his iPhone with preloaded maps when he needed to see how lost he was...and it worked great for him. Which is why I wanted to try Motion X.

I understand the interest in these options which is why I mentioned it. If I can find the $100 bucks, I will try the Dual XGPS puck for sure...but coming down the wire...money is getting really tight.

I am going to check on the car today to see how the radio install is coming!!

My battery guy came through, so we have a nice new Optima Red Top going in!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #248
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 259
Laugh

Oh man, oh man, oh man! Getting really excited here!
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #249
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Whoop, whoop!

After work today, I went by Prevailing Communications to pick up the car from Tim...he was just finishing up when I got there

Not a good photo of it, but here's the Red Top Optima AGM battery from our new sponsor Interstate All Battery Center in Hillsboro, Oregon!!

No, Interstate doesn't make the Optima, but I wanted the AGM for the vibration resistance...and the Interstate All Battery Center can usually cross-reference an equivalent battery, or get the one you need....like they did for me!

They can also get you a battery for any device...lap top, flashlight, cell phone, car, boat...everything. They even rebuild cordless tool battery packs for less than a new one and give it a year warranty! I have a few 18v drill batteries I am going to bring in for sure. I am trying to work out a discount code for you local FF's..more on this later. They are an independently owned and operated business, please check them out if you are local to the west side of Portland, Oregon. Thank you Dennis for the support!

Tim and I had some very extensive and cool ideas for the car, but due to time constraints, we had to bring it all back to basics. We'll make additions and improvements to the car later...for now, with only 60-ish days until the race, its all about getting legal for tech inspection.

We removed the stock radio and cd controller to add the VHF race radio and siren/light/switch controller and extra 12v outlets. We wanted it to be as clean an install as possible without taking too much time. Installing the units there help it to remain stock looking while also putting the controls where we can easily reach them.

The NORRA rules allow for a siren on the race course and the "air horn" feature is nice and LOUD So of course, I had to have them!

The rear amber, red interior and additional race lights will also be switched from there.

Tim tuning the antenna...

It got late quick, so I need to get better photos tomorrow, but here are a couple for now...

Interior red LED light...to keep night vision intact in the desert when we are lost and frantically looking at our map in the dark in the middle of nowhere

You can also see the VHF radio speaker mounted above the driver's seat...

The required rear Amber light...we put two in for redundancy..they are LED so super bright, vibration resistant, and low power drain.

Lonnie has ordered the vinyl and we are figuring out a day next week to start the graphics. I will also be ordering side decals from FF Baja Dad and they'll look like this only with our number "12"..

He did these last year and I thought they looked super cool and he is not doing it to make a huge profit...just helping out fellow M1K racers to give their bikes and vehicles a cool little touch!!

Ray may actually get to the door bars and passenger seat this weekend yet.....

more coming tomorrow...

Something to watch for now to whet your Baja whistle. They were filming this at last year's race...just a quick trailer:

BAJA SOCIAL CLUB from DEAN MITCHELL-DP on Vimeo.

oregoncoast screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 11:18 PM
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #250
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Cool video!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #251
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

LC Garage

I finally was able to sneak away, and drive over to Outta Sight Racing's rider Rick Teegarden's (LC Garage) house to see how Luke's CB Desert Sled is coming. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Rick and Luke both rode the SL350 with me last year. This year they are busy building Luke's 2013 Mexican 1000 entry. It is pretty amazing what the boys have been pulling off over there...and I picked the right day to be there! I was able to witness the beast take it's first breath! The story of the bike is here, and soon there should be some photos and videos from yesterday loaded up:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823952

I decided to drive the Subaru over to Rick's because the boys haven't actually seen the car in person. This year's build has been a different one, since we have two going. It's hard for anyone to break away to travel to the other location to lend a hand...so we all tend to stay local, and work on the one that is closest. It was good to see the boys and it was well worth the 4 hour round-trip to go and see them and the bike.

I really appreciated that Tim left my cup holder intact in the Subie, so I had a place to put my McDonald's coffee on the way over

What, you've never seen a race car with a cup holder?? Peasants......

Rick showing off his two "new" fenders for his SL350 motocrosser project. Let's just say it took him a good 15 minutes to get them out of the packaging and they are fresh and full of, um, patina!

Rick was gracious enough to make some room and I was able to finish painting the roll cage while Luke was working on his wiring. Allan was on hand and took some of his signature cool shots too, which makes my crappy iPhone shots look even worse!

In between photos, Allan actually gets in there and helps out the boys quite a bit..

Heating the cage a bit in prep for paint:

Worked on some trim pieces for the drivers door area

And yes...those are small air cushions on the seat! The Cobra's are brutally uncomfortable. Luckily, OSR's latest member, Cory (Twinduro) has offered to build up some nice custom cushions for us. Cory will be coming down to Mexico to work as crew but will also be signed up as another co-driver in case we need him to jump in car...or maybe even on the bike. He did an amazing job shaping up the seat for Luke's bike..so I feel our asses are in good hands

It's been a productive couple of days and I plan on doing some stuff today as well......only 62 days left until the race!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #252
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,889
Nice to see the progress you guys are making.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #253
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,817
Paul checking where to put the hood pins

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #254
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,077
This is awesome! I ran into this thread when it first started via the Desert Sled thread, then forgot about it. 2 weeks ago I bought a '97 Legacy Outback and have been browsing other sites to find more info on these cars, then low and behold run across you on one of those Subi sites that feeds me back here!

Subscribed!
Support your local creep! CREEPS MC
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #255
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
This is awesome! I ran into this thread when it first started via the Desert Sled thread, then forgot about it. 2 weeks ago I bought a '97 Legacy Outback and have been browsing other sites to find more info on these cars, then low and behold run across you on one of those Subi sites that feeds me back here!

Subscribed!
Hmm...I am going to need some spares for the race....where exactly in Oakland did you say you park that '97??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: