User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #376
Bandit240
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Granted I'm a bit late to the game here, but you should have found a legacy postal to do this project with. RHD would have been badass.

I think some of your mods are going to end up on my own cars.
Bandit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #377
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,099
Felicidades muchachos. El carro se ve muy bien y parece que estan listos. Nos vemos en mexicali, voy a pasar el viernes para charlar con todos ustedes. Tenere la familia con migo tambien que vean las motos y carros.

Hasta pronto amigos!!!
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #378
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Felicidades muchachos. El carro se ve muy bien y parece que estan listos. Nos vemos en mexicali, voy a pasar el viernes para charlar con todos ustedes. Tenere la familia con migo tambien que vean las motos y carros.

Hasta pronto amigos!!!
Thanks!! Yes, I translated it on my Imac However we won't be in Mexicali until Saturday morning, first thing. Hopefully you'll still be around?
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #379
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,811
Woo-Hoo....go get 'em kids!!

Have a great race, stay safe, and I'll be cheering from back here!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #380
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Best of luck, be safe, have fun and thanks for taking us along on your adventure!!!

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #381
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,544
Does this mean our run in the dunes is out?.................I was finally ready last weekend

PS: Good luck

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #382
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Thanks!! Yes, I translated it on my Imac However we won't be in Mexicali until Saturday morning, first thing. Hopefully you'll still be around?
I won't. But as mentioned in the other thread, I'll be in SF to wave my genitals in your general direction as you guys go by.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #383
RLK

Oddometer: 6,380
Save travels and best of luck. Thanks for sharing the whole story.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #384
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

I'm exhausted. Cory and I were very busy today. I'll update more, but here are a few photos for now. We head out first thing in the morning. Here is the Outta Sight spotwalla page that Allan has set up.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...35170cdd39ea88

It should be active tomorrow, but the race starts Sunday...that is when the real action will be happening on the page. There will be the Subaru, Luke's race bike and our two chase trucks...you'll be able to track our progress!

David on Saturday, dropping off some parts and fixing some last minute stuff:

Some of the "parts" David brought down

Ray and Cory prepping the trailer..she ain't pretty, but she'll do the job!

Cory and I finished up a bunch of little things, like sound deadening the bulkhead, bolting up the last skid plate, finishing the install of the window nets....etc.

Friends and neighbors stopped by to say goodbye, lend a hand and have a beer, including Lonnie!

More when we get on the road...

Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #385
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

something I just thought of, sorry I didn't sooner.....

Taking car parts across the border could cause problems. Motor parts especially. Use your drive to look up how to avoid the problem. Hopefully you know about this already and have taken precausions to setup a "proper import." Regardless of ownership, and regardless of intended use, if you don't "properly import" the parts, they will try to collect a "tax" on it at the border and you will be delayed and will have to pull enough cash to pay the "tax" that they levy.

I hope you've thought of this prior and I am not even kidding about the trouble this can cause you. I think you know that I lived in TJ for years and I drove across the border every day. Sometimes with tires, engine parts, engines, wheels etc.... nearly every time I was stopped I was sent to secondary for the "tax" collection.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #386
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:

Cory and I finished up a bunch of little things, like sound deadening the bulkhead,

I've been wondering when you were going to get around to that.

Mixed emotions about not seeing you on the south bound journey Maybe on the return trip?

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #387
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Last night, while watching Sons of Anarchy, Laura and I donned our racing suits, helmets and neck support as part of our rigorous training regimen...of course the adult beverages were for scale only (although the two cup holders are fully functional in the Subaru).

Been following with interest - great adventure with the Missus.

Glad the training has gone well!

Good luck with the race - will be checking up as soon as Mrs Snow and I return from a little Oregon float trip. (Fishing the Grande Rhonde.)

Safety Third!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #388
RLK

Oddometer: 6,380
F5?

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #389
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 708
Good luck Paul & Laura, hope you have a really fun time, can't wait to hear the stories!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #390
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

The trip south was pretty uneventful for Cory and I, made it as far as Redding the first day because we had some things to take care of along the way.

The Sprinter towed Ray's trailer and Subaru just fine and got 17+ MPG cruising at 65, which I thought was not too shabby considering the amount of crap we had crammed in the van!

Luke got a much later start and he stopped in Ashland, OR for the night. We agreed to hang out on Tuesday morning so he could catch up and Cory could take over some of the driving for Luke. Luke arrived and we started our caravan south!

Until...

Luckily, it was just the AC belt. We pulled into Lodi and got it fixed up proper. I decided I would call General Tire to get my tires ready at will call so I could pick them up on my way through. Last week, they told me they had tons of tires so I could just set up my order right before I came in. Well, they were out of the Grabber's in my size and they only ones that existed were in Florida or Texas and would I like them shipped...

When building the car, I went with the biggest tires I could get away with without having to cut the fenders or wheel wells. Unfortunately, it is a size that just doesn't exist much in all-terrain tread (205/75R15). I should have gone with 215/75/15 and I would have been able to choose from numerous brands.

Ok, so I went to the local Lodi Les Schwab to get a couple of Toyo's like the ones mounted on the car. No go. Only 4 available in....wait for it....Redding...where we had spent the night

I decided to get my Baja-on and went to a used tire place and picked up the only two 205's that had any sort of aggressive tread. At this point, I did not want to buy new anyway, because after this race, I'm going to switch tire sizes.

So I now had 4 new tires on the car, 3 new spares and 2 used spares. We were good to go!

Back on the road, trucked through until about 11 pm and crashed near Riverside. The next morning we were at the Dude's!

Ted "The Dude" Sumner is a gracious host and opened up his shop and home to us for these days before the rally. He was also prepping his 18 ft. boat that he will be towing down the highway as he chases us (only he will be in front at the Bivouacs every night). After the race, we will be taking our time driving back and spending more than a week fishing the Sea of Cortez along the way!

Ted has a well equipped shop and Luke even managed to use the lathe for something. We welded, fabbed and got the Subaru and Luke's monster bike ready!

Here's Cory working on Luke's fancy fuel delivery system as the Dude oversees the action.

The Dude's spread is a true bachelor pad with awe inspiring views. He works like me, with home projects taking a backseat to race projects. His property is littered with race cars. There's two vintage Ford Race trucks, a buggy and motorcycles. Here is Ted's race truck from last year:

And Cory making vroom vroom noises in Buggy 10 from the 2011 Mexican 1000, which Ted wants us to bring back to Oregon to prep for one of us to race next year

Some strategerizing

We have been working and bullshitting for three days now and we are very excited about crossing the border first thing tomorrow. Thanks for all of your well-wishing! I will try and update as much as possible. Luke is picking up David and Allan now and then later I'm off to the airport to pick-up my co-driver Laura!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: