Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Not really, I simply would like to have less "going on" on top of the transmission - When I first bought the bike I cracked open the airbox to find this -

Critters were living in the airbox. I never did like the design of that airbox, especially with the tiny tornadic winglets in each intake that never line up correctly, the black plastic and the big chunky box of aluminum bottom.

If the pods hit my shins, it's not a matter of getting my pants dirty that would bug me, it would be knocking into the pods every time I move my legs.

I also wouldn't mind a bit more throat in the sound, not at all loud but just a bit growlier.
That picture is a perfect example of a K+N filter not fitting right (it's bowed back in front and unfiltered air and nuts are getting by for it). The trouble is that in my experience once they have been bowed back like that there is no fixing them. The rubber gets a memory that keeps bowing the filter back even after you cut into it to allow the filter to slide around the starter cover thusly letting the front lip fit over the front of the box like it should be.

Square airboxes? Personally I like them more than clam shells. Easier to work on and they work better IMO.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
That picture is a perfect example of a K+N filter not fitting right (it's bowed back in front and unfiltered air and nuts are getting by for it). The trouble is that in my experience once they have been bowed back like that there is no fixing them. The rubber gets a memory that keeps bowing the filter back even after you cut into it to allow the filter to slide around the starter cover thusly letting the front lip fit over the front of the box like it should be.

Square airboxes? Personally I like them more than clam shells. Easier to work on and they work better IMO.
Agreed, I changed that filter the first day I cracked it open - after removing the bottom box and starter cover etc to fully clean them all out.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,029
For your bike's sake I hope you replaced it with a modified K+N. They filter SO much better than the stock paper filters.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #19
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:

Hi SS.

I tried a D&A filter a few weeks ago. They made the same mistake as K&N. The starter cover pushes against the filter. It was easy to solve by putting 2 washers between the airbox and the gearbox. Now it fits perfect.
But on the top and bottom of the filter they made an edge so it can't be sucked into the box. Thats a good thing compared to the k&n.
The modification you mentioned (few weeks ago) might still be a good thing to not have to move the air box.

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 09:40 AM
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #20
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,855
Quote:
For your bike's sake I hope you replaced it with a modified K+N. They filter SO much better than the stock paper filters.
yes.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote