ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Chuck_V OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Planning a trip to CO in a few weeks...

Hey guys, I've been checking out the Rockies regional forum for a few weeks, just trying to get an idea what things are like out there. My Dad and I are hoping to make a trip out to Colorado in a couple weeks (middle of December). Our family is considering moving from PA and we want to check out as many places as possible while we're there.

Where we're mainly focusing is the Front Range region, since Boulder is what originally caught our eye. Unfortunately living IN Boulder seems out of the question, with the cost of houses. What attracted us to that area though was the cleanliness, culture, abundance of outdoor sports (motorcycling, trails, mountains, etc...), and lack of hardcore conservative Christians.

Any suggestions or tips? Nothing about the trip is set in stone yet, aside from us leaving to come out there around December 14/15.

Chuck_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_V View Post
and lack of hardcore conservative Christians.

Any suggestions or tips? Nothing about the trip is set in stone yet, aside from us leaving to come out there around December 14/15.
So, it seems like you know to avoid Colorado Springs?

Give a shout. We can take you on a Fort Collins brewery tour. We'll have to be selective, as there are more breweries that a reasonable BAC allows.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 1,918
Don't rule out the western slope. It fits your description. Not very crowded, friendly, and decent cost of living until you get closer to resorts, then it can get pricey.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Don't rule out the western slope. It fits your description. Not very crowded, friendly, and decent cost of living until you get closer to resorts, then it can get pricey.

+1 Check Grand Junction, bring your bikes. I'd say check New Mex as well but you mentioned cleanliness, not part of the culture here. Of course our December riding weather can be pretty good
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
fortrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Fort Collins

Check the Fort area. Winter is mild, I had a great ds ride Sunday in the mountains. No traffic up there either. Breweries galore around the area. Cost of living, so so. Plenty of mountain activities close by. You want be disappointed.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Chuck_V OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Thanks for the quick responses, guys! Yes, I'd heard Colorado Springs probably wouldn't be a good fit. Here's a little more about what we're looking for (probably typical of most people moving to CO):

Different climate. Winters in PA are generally grey and wet and summers are humid.

More riding areas. There are almost NO motorcycle accessable trails in PA. The offroad scene is almost non-existant, aside from MX. There are some good paved twisty roads around us, but I can only imagine that with the mountains of CO there are plenty of twisty paved roads for street/sportbikes?

Friendlier people, with more similar ideals. No one in our family is religious, and around here that has a huge effect on who will be friendly with you. As far as the environment goes, I think you should just try to have as little negative effect as you can. There's no reason to needlessly roost a sensitive environment and harm the wildlife. It seems like this is the general opinion out there, too.

As I mentioned, culture. The breweries and restauraunts out there sound awesome. In our area it's tough to find anything that's not a chain restaurant or PA Dutch food...the only seasonings they use are salt and pepper, and all the food somehow ends up the same color haha.

There is something very nice about our area now and that's that we can leave the bikes in the driveway and not worry about them being stolen, or run to the store and leave the garage door open. Now, drive 25 minutes into Lancaster or Reading and I'm worried every time the bike is out of my sight. The crime rate in either of those cities is on par with Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, so I realize that you can have very nice areas nearby to some places you'd rather not live.

Oh and we won't be bringing the bikes on this trip! The plan is to pick up a rental car and drive out as quickly as possible....not much to see between here and there anyway.

Chuck_V screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 09:51 AM
Chuck_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,105
So you get a sunny ,cold ,snowy winter in trade for a gray sky/snow. The temps are likely colder in CO than in PA. The prices for everything are higher in CO than they are in NM. In some parts of NM you ride year round. Remember altitude is colder and winter stays a while there. Of course you can always trailer down to S NM if you get winter weary.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 1,918
I think that with the lack of humidity, even sunny days over 30 degrees are tshirt days! Plus with the western slope, you are close to Moab if you need a quick temperature change!
In all fairness, anywhere in this region, Colorado, Utah, NM, would probably be a welcome and pleasant change. Good luck with your move!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
The west is pretty different than the east, out here it doesn't much matter what your religion or your upbringing are; people are friendly. Well, except maybe in Boulder. There is a ton of sun and stuff doesn't get stolen very much as long as you avoid Colorado Springs .

Like Mountains and Rivers said, don't rule out the Western Slope, the closer you live to dirt roads the friendlier everyone gets. On that note, the sport bike riding is pretty limited.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses, guys! Yes, I'd heard Colorado Springs probably wouldn't be a good fit. Here's a little more about what we're looking for (probably typical of most people moving to CO):

Different climate. Winters in PA are generally grey and wet and summers are humid.

More riding areas. There are almost NO motorcycle accessable trails in PA. The offroad scene is almost non-existant, aside from MX. There are some good paved twisty roads around us, but I can only imagine that with the mountains of CO there are plenty of twisty paved roads for street/sportbikes?

Friendlier people, with more similar ideals. No one in our family is religious, and around here that has a huge effect on who will be friendly with you. As far as the environment goes, I think you should just try to have as little negative effect as you can. There's no reason to needlessly roost a sensitive environment and harm the wildlife. It seems like this is the general opinion out there, too.

As I mentioned, culture. The breweries and restauraunts out there sound awesome. In our area it's tough to find anything that's not a chain restaurant or PA Dutch food...the only seasonings they use are salt and pepper, and all the food somehow ends up the same color haha.

There is something very nice about our area now and that's that we can leave the bikes in the driveway and not worry about them being stolen, or run to the store and leave the garage door open. Now, drive 25 minutes into Lancaster or Reading and I'm worried every time the bike is out of my sight. The crime rate in either of those cities is on par with Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, so I realize that you can have very nice areas nearby to some places you'd rather not live.

Oh and we won't be bringing the bikes on this trip! The plan is to pick up a rental car and drive out as quickly as possible....not much to see between here and there anyway.
What! You don't like scrapple?
I grew up a few miles west of Reading (Robesonia). Left for college in NY in 1990 and been on the western slope of Colorado since '93.
No turning back now. Kids, business, etc. Not to mention I probably wouldn't fit in too well back there.
Don't pass up checking Grand Junction and even Durango. I guess if you are used to traffic the Boulder area is better than PA, but.......

Oh, bring some Yuengling if you are driving. I'll trade ya some ska!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Don't forget to 'throw the cow over the fence some hay' and 'outen the light' before you leave.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
dutchoven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I spent two years searching for a new place to call home. We lived in NC and were tired of the humidity and just wanted to enjoy 300+ days of sunshine. My wife works in Boulder, however, I avoid it like the plague as it smells like Patchouli and is so far left I get dizzy just walking down Pearl street. The front range has more to do as far as nightlife, culture, arts,restaurants,etc... Riding is plentiful and great. I miss my friends greatly.....I did however make the right move. I settled in Westminster and have no regrets. Hurry as there is only room for three more people and then Colorado is closed
dutchoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,118
Quote:

Yup, you definitely wouldn't like Colorado Springs.

I left the doors wide open on our van in the driveway last night. The case of beer was still sitting there this morning.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
Wired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
While I love Western CO, it sounds like you need a more liberal atmosphere, and that's going to be the Front Range. There are some more liberal places on the western side, Telluride (as mentioned), but overall we're fairly conservative over here.

I grew up on the Front Range. I wouldn't leave my garage door open while I left. You could leave a bike in the driveway and you're probably ok though.
"I'm going to play with ninjas, you go to the kitchen."
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 3,972
If you want something close to Boulder, you can look at Lafayette, Broomfield, or Westminster. All are cheaper. They don't have the numbers or restaurants, and don't really have a downtown.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote