User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,184
RS /RT Fairing Driving Lights

I recently came accross a 1981 RT that has "pop out" driving lights built into the fairing....where the vent would normally live. One appears to be burnt out. The lights are swung out / actuated by locking levers in the fairing cockpit area.

How common are these lights?
Are they worth anything as an assembly?

I saw a set on a bike years ago but don't know if those were factory or aftermarket or what they were....

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 01:40 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
NC BMW Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
My understanding is that these are pretty rare. I've seen one fairing with these lights

They are pretty cool.

If you are interested in sell it let me know.

Regards
NC BMW Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC BMW Rider View Post
My understanding is that these are pretty rare. I've seen one fairing with these lights

They are pretty cool.

If you are interested in sell it let me know.

Regards

The lights are on a complete 1981 RT 100 I came across for sale for $1500.00. The bike runs but is in poor condition asthetically....brake master cylinders / calipers are all fouled up. It's been sitting out (in a dry climate) for a long time...under trees...covered in bird shit...but it started fairly well and the engine sounded pretty good considering it's been "resting" for so many years. Has kind of a "R100S type" smoke red / black paint job but again...pretty rough....was a sidecar tug for a while it appears.
The bike could have possibilities but that price is pretty high in my opinion. Restoring it would cost way more than it is worth....parting it out would be my angle but for $1500.00????

ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 01:45 PM
Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Madman1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Those are rare. One set was for sale in the US for $ 500, about 2-3 years ago. It was almost new.
I bought it. Put them on my 95 RT. Got them painted in the right paint. Installed xenon, run them only with high beam.
Together with xenon in the main light, I feel a lot safer. I got another set from Holland, so Im only using the long lenses.
Hans
Norway
Madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Yes, those lights are fairly rare these days. Here in Canada, they were a factory only option. i.e. you had to order the bike with them. But, some dealers were able to get all the parts and put together a kit. As a factory option they added about $500 to the bill. If you could get a dealer to get all the parts, it was closer to $1000. This was back in 79-81. My first 1979 RT did not have them, but when I bought my 2nd one in 1981, I opted for these lights. Just love them.

I still have my 81 RT. The left light is a driving light and the right one if a fog. There is a single switch on the dash (rocker type) that gives them power. On low beam, the fog light comes on, then when you switch to high beam the fog light goes off and the driving light comes on. They are Bosch lights using 55W H3 bulbs which are fairly cheap and easy to find. If you have an upgraded alternator, you can put in the 100W H3 bulbs as I have done. Plus I changed the fog bulb to amber, which helps cut thru rain and fog much better.

The only problem I find is that in very hot weather, it would be nice to have those vents available. But that can be fixed by ordering an aftermarket windshield with added vents, such as what Clearview makes.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 626
I have seen two pairs of these for sale this year ... One in USA for $500 and on in UK for $300 ... Alot of police force bikes had these fitted also.

I " stole " the idea and installed a set of PIAA riding lights in the vents for $300 ... These work real well in spotting Roo's. Maybe not as "cool " looking as the kit ... but functional.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 326
Pop out lights on ebay

These appear to be the lights described. I have no dog in this hunt, just found it interesting these popped up after recently seeing this thread.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MOTORCYC...266c59&vxp=mtr

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
These appear to be the lights described. I have no dog in this hunt, just found it interesting these popped up after recently seeing this thread.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MOTORCYC...266c59&vxp=mtr

Chuck
Cool. This will be interesting to see what they bring. I couldn't get the seller below his $1500.00 asking price for the bike so had to pass on the bike purchase. Maybe $1500.00 is reasonable but I've seen ridable RT's for a little more than his "derelict' asking price.

ABC# 1992