User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
XRochester OP
XRochester

Oddometer: 37
276c upgrade from 176 - couple questions.

I have a Garmin 176 (grayscale) that has been awesome. I have pounded on it for 10 years with various bikes, snowmobiles, boats and car. Love everything about it except the lack of a color screen. It's almost impossible to tell the diffference between my tracks and roads, for example. I'm thinkin' I could just upgrade to a (used obviously) 276c and it would be plug and play, meaning I could use all my existing cords, cards, software, mounts and everything else.

Can any 276c users out there tell me if the screen is bright and contrasty enough to see in bright sunlight? Are you happy with the unit? Is it rugged enough to withstand the rigors of off road riding? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
XRochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRochester View Post
I have a Garmin 176 (grayscale) that has been awesome. I have pounded on it for 10 years with various bikes, snowmobiles, boats and car. Love everything about it except the lack of a color screen. It's almost impossible to tell the diffference between my tracks and roads, for example. I'm thinkin' I could just upgrade to a (used obviously) 276c and it would be plug and play, meaning I could use all my existing cords, cards, software, mounts and everything else.

Can any 276c users out there tell me if the screen is bright and contrasty enough to see in bright sunlight? Are you happy with the unit? Is it rugged enough to withstand the rigors of off road riding? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
I did the same upgrade you are pondering years ago.
Yes-----it's a huge improvement--the screen is really bright and the color is awesome----not just the screen that's an upgrade----- but an extremely long list of other things that would take a long time for me to type out.

The cord is way different.
The gps's look identical physically--but are different----I use touratech mounts and the 276 doesn't fit in a 176 mount very well.
I eventually got a mount to fit it properly.
The 276's will take up to a 2GB proprietary card---the 2GB cards are available on AdvRider somewhere--otherwise the biggest you can buy elsewhere is a 512MB.
The 276C is good for mapsource users.

Thing is------------you will be extremely lucky to find one for sale.
So many have been destroyed or wore out as it's been a really long time since they quit making them---and the ones people are still using won't part with them.
And Garmin quit re-furbishing them about 3 months ago cause they ran out of parts.
Good luck finding one---they do pop up now and then.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 10:40 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
I picked up a 296 (aviation model) for a song. I load the same maps into it as my 276. Do a search for the 2 gb card, the way I did it I had to sacrifice an old card for the housing, you replace the little board inside. And watch the internal battery contacts, they can break off.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I picked up a 296 (aviation model) for a song. I load the same maps into it as my 276. Do a search for the 2 gb card, the way I did it I had to sacrifice an old card for the housing, you replace the little board inside. And watch the internal battery contacts, they can break off.
The name of that song should be "Zippity Do Da-----Zippity Day---My oh my what a wonderful day"

Your are lucky to find one------especially for a song

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,356
I had a 176 also for a few years , till, stolen out of my truck. Sigh! Been running the 276C for probably 15 or better years now. Have two now. Had a Zumo 550 , it went bad, had it fixed, sold it on Ebay. Just never did like it after being spoiled with the 276C for all these years. Just put in a 2 gig chip and now can load the whole USA in it. The other, I just have 4 states local in it. Still love em till they die.
I almost sold one of the 276Cs on ebay awhile back but changed my mind and just sold the 550 Zumo. If you find one on EBay, they are usually priced pretty good.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote