Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
jacoba331 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Bluhduh !!!clutch help!!! '06 1200 gsa

okay GS wizards,
My 2006 GSA is having clutch issue symptoms. A couple thousand miles ago (@ 60k) when easing the clutch in first gear the RPMs would bounce up and down until fully engaged, if it didn't fully engage it would stall (without any jerk, just a smooth engine cut off). This only lasted about 500-1k miles, then the first gear symptoms ceased. now im at about 62.5k

this morning on the highway when hammering on the throttle in 5th or 6th gear my RPMs went up and slowly dropped as i slowly accelerated despite the open throttle. (felt as if i was feathering it). then on my ride home the symptoms did not appear.

also, when going into 5th while merging it kicked back down into 4th without my permission. this used to happen on my 1150 all the time but just blamed my lazy left foot for not fully shifting. is that the case?

today was the first time i have felt this highway speed issue and was puzzled when it did not happen 8 hours later.

so, o wise ADV riders and gurus....

-when do these clutches usually fade?
-how long can/should i ride on it?
-is there a connection between my first gear symptom and 6th gear symptom?
-what would i have to replace?... plate? fluids? seals? whole assembly?
-what is that going to cost me approximately (no labor costs)?
-anybody have these parts laying around and want to help a brother out?

i will gladly receive all the wisdom and pointers you can throw at me. THANK YOU

i appreciate you,

jake (the kid on a 1200)
jacoba331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,065
Bummer to hear about your problems. I don't know much about clutches but I have heard of an 18 year old kid that rode to AK and has ridden more than driving.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Britome
Get Free

I'm looking forward to what the more tech/mechanical people have to say. Where are you?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,718
Jake - The first part of your write-up sure sounds like a slipping clutch issue, but I'm not sure how that could relate to the bike unexpectedly dropping from 5th gear back to 4th. That would be a separate gearbox issue and like you mentioned, the only shifting anomalies I've ever encountered on my R12 were due to my my own "lazy left foot".

My '07 is still on its original clutch at nearly 114k miles with zero problems, with all types of riding that's included off-road use with intentional clutch slipping and the accompanying momentary fragrance of hot disc friction material. My buddy's '02 R1150GSA also has its original clutch with 112k miles on its clock. Others on this forum have changed their clutches out at lower mileage, so just like with tire and brake pad wear I don't think there's one target mileage when you can say the clutch will be worn out.

Do you see any evidence of oil leakage/oil film anywhere around the gearbox-to-crankcase mating area? If so, the clutch friction material could be getting oil contaminated from a rear main seal or gearbox input shaft seal leak. It might also be worth pulling the starter and looking into the clutch area for any evidence of any oil in there and also to try and judge wear/thickness of the friction material. You may also want to pull the clutch slave cylinder (two bolts, no need to remove the clutch fluid line) and see if the seal at the back of the gearbox input shaft is leaking or if the slave cylinder itself might be leaking. Oil from that area can migrate forward up through the hollow input shaft along the clutch pushrod and contaminate the clutch. There should be a felt washer on the pushrod to help prevent that, but who knows if it's there or if it's oil-soaked.

I'd think a slipping clutch should give pretty consistent symptoms, and hopefully others here will chime in with other suggestions. There are numerous good threads on the forum about changing a clutch, including this one by The Other JC. If the clutch is bad, you should replace the entire assembly, sold by BMW as a kit (friction disc, pressure plate, etc.) with new pressure plate bolts as they are intended to be one-time use. You can look up the prices on one of the on-line parts fiches from the Max BMW or Bob's BMW websites. Personally, I'd likely only change any seals if I found them leaking.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,117
Some of the gearbox issues may be real, or a lazy foot. Deliberate shifting helps.

Is it possible that your left handguard has rotated a little bit and put some pressure on the clutch lever(intermittently), preventing it from fully engaging?

Otherwise, jdub covered the other worst case scenarios pretty well.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Britome
Get Free

Some pics of slave cylinder and gear box side. Is this normal?

BTW, I'm the boy's dad.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,676
That slave is beginning to fail. Time to replace. If you check the bearing in the center, it should feel rough. Intermittent slipping is occasionally caused by too much fluid in the master cylinder. You gain fluid as the clutch wears. Also, you need to read the cover and see if it uses DOT4 or the mineral oil. Don't mix types. Ever BTW brake is always Dot 4 The clutch may be different. Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote