ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
Loading Open Street Maps on the Garmin Zumo 660 (Mac Users Tutorial)

firstly, i will say that in the year of planning, research, and to-do lists for my south america trip - the task of learning and installing a good south american map set onto my garmin zumo 660 was the most frustrating, feared, procrastinated, and unpleasant of anything else i have done or attempted to do.

garmin customer tech support, not surprisingly, is not in the business of giving 110% when it comes to you loading 3rd party maps that cost $00.00 on their devices. and basecamp, garmin's apple/mac friendly desktop user-interface, is far from being plug n' play. so that makes it fun too.

the open source mapping from garmin.openstreetmap.nl is excellent. this is not garmin. from what i can tell, it's a dutch programmer who is doing it for donations. so donate after you realize how awesome these maps are like i did. awesome, almost to the point of wondering how garmin is going to adjust their business model to adapt to the inevitability of this content being better than their own. garmin's south american maps are useless by almost all accounts online. and the alternative to garmin.openstreetmap.nl means loading maps by country, often on PC/windows only platforms that suck the life out of your soul.

in this post, i'm going to give a summary of what one needs to do in order to load 3rd party open source maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl into a garmin zumo 660. it may be different with other garmin devices, as they are not all designed/programmed alike. thank you to jeff smith, who spent 3 hours with me on video conference this morning helping me figure all this out. jeff - you are my hero. it shouldn't be this hard to do this, but it was.

and let's not forget to thank garmin for making it so freaking nearly impossible that it takes: 4 garmin applications, 2 open source applications, two pretty smart guys about 20 email exchanges and a 3-hour video chat, and one really freaking awesome dutch geek-god to make these open source maps and applications available so you can install them. great job!

1. install latest zumo firmware and latest version of basecamp.
2. download and install the additional garmin programs: garmin map install & garmin map manager, garmin POI loader (more about POI loader in a subsequent post.)
3. go to www.javawa.nl, download and install JaVaWa GMTK, JaVaWa device manager from this nice dutch guy. (possibly the same guy as the open street project??? not sure.)
4. go to garmin.openstreetmap.nl and choose the country map you would like to download - and download right there. (or enable "manual tile selection" to create your own regional/continental map - i made a map for all of southamerica)
5. if you make a custom map, garmin.openstreetmap.nl will ask for you email and send you a download link for the large maps that you create.
6. once at the garmin.openstreetmap.nl server, you will see many file types to choose from, download to your desktop osm_generic_macosx.zip (this is the map installer for base camp for mac users).
7. double-click on this file to run the install. it will open garmin map install, say yes to install prompts.
8. while garmin map manager is open, you can delete any old map versions or duplicates that might be there. make sure it's an old one though! or just don't do anything. never mind. you are on your own on this one.
9. now the new map will show in garmin map manager and is installed in basecamp as "OSM generic routable", the default file name.
10. using javawa GMTK, rename to whatever you would like (in my case, South America OSM). this will also keep you from having complications from duplicate file names, as all files coming from garmin.openstreetmap.nl will be called "OSM generic routable"...
11. control click on the application to open first time (mac security requires you to do this - will open normal subsequent launches).
12. select "OSM generic routable" in window, click "extra" in top menu, select "change map name and ID" in drop down.
13. write your own name (i used South America OSM) in "name on computer", "name on device", and "folder name" (folder name should still have .gmap at the end). keep family ID number the same, but if you download more OSM maps, increase the number by +1 each time to keep them all different in the bowels of your computer.) Click "modify" to complete renaming.
14. open basecamp. go to top level menu/maps, and select your new map (South America OSM for me). congratulations.
15. now, stop celebrating and let's get the map that is now installed in basecamp copied over to your garmin device. plug your garmin into your computer with the USB cable. launch garmin map install. select your device in the drop down menu (it's likely the only one there), and click "continue".
16. in the next window, select your new map (South America OSM) in the drop down. you will also see your factory installed North America NT map set.
17. once selected in the drop down, you must now select ALL the map segments (funny little rectangles and squares) from your new map by (click-dragging) your cursor from the very upper left corner of the map window to the very lower right corner of the window. when you let go, all those "segments" will have turned black meaning they are selected. now click "send maps" and "confirm" on next screen. it will now send from your computer (via map install) to your garmin device. my whole map of the entire continent of south america took about 10 minutes.
18. now open javawa device manager with your garmin still connected to your computer. again, control click on the application to open first time to satisfy apple security. select your new map in the list. go up to the top left menu and click "visible in BC", then "yes" on the next screen to confirm. you see the little basecamp icon added to the new maps icons in the list. this will allow your new map to be visible in the garmin's map folder drop down when it's connected to your computer and basecamp is running. for some reason that i don't care to describe, you have to do this in order to see it. let's just say it's magic.
19. now finally, "eject" your garmin device from the top base camp "file" menu. now you can quit ALL the applications - you are done with that crap. start up your garmin device. go into the menu system to make sure your map is there: tools/settings/map/map info... and you should see it in the list with your other maps, with a green check as "selected". have several cocktails at this point, or a cigarette if you smoke. (try e-cigs - they are better for you.)
20. plug your garmin into your computer one more time. start basecamp. it will take a while to read your new map, should be less than a minute. this is just to make sure that basecamp recognizes the new map as installed on the garmin.
21. go into your new map in basecamp (with or without the garmin connected), and create a simple 3 or 4 point route in a random exotic city's downtown. make sure that it routes through the streets, and not in a straight line, to make sure the routing data is all good too.
22. start planning your routes through exotic and exciting locations around the world that only a couple years ago where blind spots to this kind of data.
23. do something else. (i like the number 23 and it has special significance for me. so this is a 23-part tutorial now.)
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Thanks for sharing. Hope your trip is a great one!

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,634
Perfect timing! I found the OSM map of Mexico and am using it for my trip to Baja and was frustrated that the map name (OSM generic routable) isn't describing the map. Downloaded JaVaWa GMTK and followed your step by steps. Perfect.

Will add that the "control-click first time opening the application" only applies to Mountain Lion 10.8.X. The JaVaWa software works just fine with 10.6.8.

Buena Suerte on your upcoming trip...
(kind of strange seeing porkandcorn.com mirroring your thread on advrider; you've gone through the looking glass )

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

great to hear it worked for you!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
.....frustrated that the map name (OSM generic routable) isn't describing the map.
That's easily solved using an text editor that can read and make changes to binary files.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

thanks daryl - yeah, i think that's basically what javawa GMTK does, but makes it all 'drop-down-menu-rific'!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkandcorn View Post
firstly, i will say that in the year of planning, research, and to-do lists for my south america trip - the task of learning and installing a good south american map set onto my garmin zumo 660 was the most frustrating, feared, procrastinated, and unpleasant of anything else i have done or attempted to do.

garmin customer tech support, not surprisingly, is not in the business of giving 110% when it comes to you loading 3rd party maps that cost $00.00 on their devices. and basecamp, garmin's apple/mac friendly desktop user-interface, is far from being plug n' play. so that makes it fun too.

the open source mapping from garmin.openstreetmap.nl is excellent. this is not garmin. from what i can tell, it's a dutch programmer who is doing it for donations. so donate after you realize how awesome these maps are like i did. awesome, almost to the point of wondering how garmin is going to adjust their business model to adapt to the inevitability of this content being better than their own. garmin's south american maps are useless by almost all accounts online. and the alternative to garmin.openstreetmap.nl means loading maps by country, often on PC/windows only platforms that suck the life out of your soul.

in this post, i'm going to give a summary of what one needs to do in order to load 3rd party open source maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl into a garmin zumo 660. it may be different with other garmin devices, as they are not all designed/programmed alike. thank you to jeff smith, who spent 3 hours with me on video conference this morning helping me figure all this out. jeff - you are my hero. it shouldn't be this hard to do this, but it was.

and let's not forget to thank garmin for making it so freaking nearly impossible that it takes: 4 garmin applications, 2 open source applications, two pretty smart guys about 20 email exchanges and a 3-hour video chat, and one really freaking awesome dutch geek-god to make these open source maps and applications available so you can install them. great job!

1. install latest zumo firmware and latest version of basecamp.
2. download and install the additional garmin programs: garmin map install & garmin map manager, garmin POI loader (more about POI loader in a subsequent post.)
3. go to www.javawa.nl, download and install JaVaWa GMTK, JaVaWa device manager from this nice dutch guy. (possibly the same guy as the open street project??? not sure.)
4. go to garmin.openstreetmap.nl and choose the country map you would like to download - and download right there. (or enable "manual tile selection" to create your own regional/continental map - i made a map for all of southamerica)
5. if you make a custom map, garmin.openstreetmap.nl will ask for you email and send you a download link for the large maps that you create.
6. once at the garmin.openstreetmap.nl server, you will see many file types to choose from, download to your desktop osm_generic_macosx.zip (this is the map installer for base camp for mac users).
7. double-click on this file to run the install. it will open garmin map install, say yes to install prompts.
8. while garmin map manager is open, you can delete any old map versions or duplicates that might be there. make sure it's an old one though! or just don't do anything. never mind. you are on your own on this one.
9. now the new map will show in garmin map manager and is installed in basecamp as "OSM generic routable", the default file name.
10. using javawa GMTK, rename to whatever you would like (in my case, South America OSM). this will also keep you from having complications from duplicate file names, as all files coming from garmin.openstreetmap.nl will be called "OSM generic routable"...
11. control click on the application to open first time (mac security requires you to do this - will open normal subsequent launches).
12. select "OSM generic routable" in window, click "extra" in top menu, select "change map name and ID" in drop down.
13. write your own name (i used South America OSM) in "name on computer", "name on device", and "folder name" (folder name should still have .gmap at the end). keep family ID number the same, but if you download more OSM maps, increase the number by +1 each time to keep them all different in the bowels of your computer.) Click "modify" to complete renaming.
14. open basecamp. go to top level menu/maps, and select your new map (South America OSM for me). congratulations.
15. now, stop celebrating and let's get the map that is now installed in basecamp copied over to your garmin device. plug your garmin into your computer with the USB cable. launch garmin map install. select your device in the drop down menu (it's likely the only one there), and click "continue".
16. in the next window, select your new map (South America OSM) in the drop down. you will also see your factory installed North America NT map set.
17. once selected in the drop down, you must now select ALL the map segments (funny little rectangles and squares) from your new map by (click-dragging) your cursor from the very upper left corner of the map window to the very lower right corner of the window. when you let go, all those "segments" will have turned black meaning they are selected. now click "send maps" and "confirm" on next screen. it will now send from your computer (via map install) to your garmin device. my whole map of the entire continent of south america took about 10 minutes.
18. now open javawa device manager with your garmin still connected to your computer. again, control click on the application to open first time to satisfy apple security. select your new map in the list. go up to the top left menu and click "visible in BC", then "yes" on the next screen to confirm. you see the little basecamp icon added to the new maps icons in the list. this will allow your new map to be visible in the garmin's map folder drop down when it's connected to your computer and basecamp is running. for some reason that i don't care to describe, you have to do this in order to see it. let's just say it's magic.
19. now finally, "eject" your garmin device from the top base camp "file" menu. now you can quit ALL the applications - you are done with that crap. start up your garmin device. go into the menu system to make sure your map is there: tools/settings/map/map info... and you should see it in the list with your other maps, with a green check as "selected". have several cocktails at this point, or a cigarette if you smoke. (try e-cigs - they are better for you.)
20. plug your garmin into your computer one more time. start basecamp. it will take a while to read your new map, should be less than a minute. this is just to make sure that basecamp recognizes the new map as installed on the garmin.
21. go into your new map in basecamp (with or without the garmin connected), and create a simple 3 or 4 point route in a random exotic city's downtown. make sure that it routes through the streets, and not in a straight line, to make sure the routing data is all good too.
22. start planning your routes through exotic and exciting locations around the world that only a couple years ago where blind spots to this kind of data.
23. do something else. (i like the number 23 and it has special significance for me. so this is a 23-part tutorial now.)
Nomination for Nobel Map Prize.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

i will defer the prize money to jeff smith at moto-treks.com. i'm just his translator and grunt-laborer. he's the one that actually figured all this stuff out.