Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #61
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I would suggest planning another $3-5K in up front costs for a few extra rental/loaner scooters. If someone brings in a warranty repair that's gonna take you a week or two to complete, or you get in a bind, suck it up and provide a free "loaner". As you get better at the service work, you'll be lending out scooters far less often, but while you're learning the ropes, the loaner bikes will buy you a ton of good will.

In the early 70's Subaru had just started selling cars in rural Pennsylvania. They were cheap so my dad and I went to look. The dealership was very small, and was a 2-3 man family operation at best. The shop owner was tied up w/ contractors installing his drop ceiling, but he greeted us warmly. "Is there a specific car you guys are interested in?" My dad said "The 4wd wagon." The dealer grabbed a set of keys and magnetic plate and handed them to us. "You can test drive that one if you want. If you come back in about an hour, I'll have time to talk to you." We drove that car all around and got a pretty good feel for it w/o high pressure sales. We came back to the dealership and my dad bought one. About a year later, the car needed some minor adjustment to the fuel system. We took the car in and pretty much got the same treatment. "I'm not sure when my mechanic can get to it. Probably within the week. If you leave it, you can borrow a demo off the lot until it's ready." I think he had our car for about 2 weeks, but how could we complain? He'd given us one to use in the meantime. My dad bought 2-3 cars from that dealership over the years, and the dealership grew... until Subaru went upscale/corporate and started behaving like every other dealer. He lost his franchise to a bigger multi-line outfit.

Also, if I were opening a scooter shop, I'd think hard about carrying Honda clone bikes like the Skyteam Dax, Z125, PBR, etc. They're pretty nice and very easy to work on. I've also found pit bikes w/ that "Honda Monkey" style engine to be very tough. They could probably be sold for around a grand and still make you some profit. With a little practice an engine swap can be done in under an hr. Parts are very cheap too. Carbs for $30-$40, CDI boxes for under $10, etc.

Good luck and have fun !
Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #62
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #63
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
I'm calling photoshop on that.

His rear spring isn't even compressed. Looks like he's not moving, yet he's got no feet down.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #64
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I don't know, I know that neighborhood....
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #65
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Who or for that matter why would someone photoshop an electric range on a Bintelli Scooter?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #66
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,343
Another picture. The guy that posted that in jo momma said it was two miles from his house..

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #67
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
There's also a "WE PAY CASH" recycling center nearby.

But dang, now I may have taken some of the mystery away!
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #68
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Is that you Justin?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #69
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBike View Post
There's also a "WE PAY CASH" recycling center nearby.

But dang, now I may have taken some of the mystery away!
Funny - the guy doesn't LOOK like a drunk.

But...the drunk scooter; trying to sell a range as scrap for a few bucks, moving it by tying it to the drunk scooter...it all adds up to one pathetic arse-hole.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #70
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,476
Gee I ve done stuff like that , Even took a bike on the back. 3 LArge tots tubs etc. As long as the cops don't see it your fine but no helmet etc thats dumb
Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #71
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Here in So. Cal., a few years back Vespa built a beautiful facility in downtown Long Beach. Geez what could be better than a crammed uban area with a new, fresh scooter shop a block from the beach. Sadly it did not last. I was in there a few times when I thought I would be buying my first scoot. Great shop with tons 'other' goodies for the bike. These are the bread & butter items where the mark up happens, and the conveince of the dealer installing it for you. Now most recently I understand that Vespa in L.A. has closed its doors also. I found this out from the folks at NOHO Scooters when I was in there not too long ago. NOHO was telling me that this really put a strain on their service department. Now, NOHO is out of bsiness also.

I don't know what this says or indicates, but it makes me really leary about buying ANY scooter from ANY shop. You just don't know if they're gunna be there. Honda, Yammy, Suz are looking pretty good right now. I know there dealers close also, but not at the rate of the scooter shop level.

All this being said, I sure want the Kymco 300.
Here in Vancouver BC I bought a scooter from the local Vespa SYM dealer and they were a fantastic dealer with good products at fair prices and terrific service. It was a busy place, all the customers loved the shop including me. It should have been a model for success and yet now they are gone.

The distributer ran into trouble and if dealers don't have any bikes to sell, they run into trouble. Wild swings in demand mean that it is very tough to make any money in the scooter biz even if you know what you are doing.

I knew the owner. He relocated and went back into working in the movie business ( not exactly low risk ) where he could make way more money with way less trouble.

Dreams of wealth with Chinese scooters is what happens when you have really smart people who really don't have a clue what they are getting into.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #72
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRandy123 View Post
Well the MSRP is supposed to be the price the dealer can sell it for and make a reasonable profit. I never liked
having to wheel and deal for a vehicle. Do it like Saturn and set a price, if I like it I'll buy if not, see you later!

I bought a scooter recently, the MSRP was $3499, one dealer wanted around $4000 the other said $3499 + $129
document fee. If one dealer can sell it for MSRP why can't the other?

So if you want to have happy customers, put tags on each one and show the out the door price. People can shop and
know what they'll have to pay.
I totally agree. In fact I think it should be illegal to advertise anything but the OTD price. I consider doing so fraudulent advertising.

And the freight and setup IS TOTALLY BOGUS. I know that for a fact. A friend of mine who used to be a sales manager for a Kawasaki dealership explained it to me, and showed me the numbers to back it up. It is known in the business as additional dealer markup, or in some cases, literally "additional dealer profit"
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #73
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I totally agree. In fact I think it should be illegal to advertise anything but the OTD price. I consider doing so fraudulent advertising.

And the freight and setup IS TOTALLY BOGUS. I know that for a fact. A friend of mine who used to be a sales manager for a Kawasaki dealership explained it to me, and showed me the numbers to back it up. It is known in the business as additional dealer markup, or in some cases, literally "additional dealer profit"
7 years ago when I did most of my new bike buying I never paid freight and setup. They still tried but once you mentioned that you would not pay it they waved it easily. However lately they seem to insist that you pay it no matter what. In fact if you don't pay it you don't buy it and they will just wait for the next guy. Not sure what changed but most dealers seem to consider it a normal charge you have to pay now.

I heard margins on new bikes are so awful now days they have to charge it or they make no money in the deal. As a consumer though I find it very frustrating that the motorcycle I am buying with an MSRP of say $5,999 magically becomes $7,500 OTD. I don't play that game!

I recently looked at a 2013 KLX250S that was $5,099 plus $475 Freight plus a $200 Setup and a $150 document fee. With taxes of 9.5% it was plus licensing it was $6,508 OTD. I was like..NO WAY! The outrageous freight and setup is what soured the deal. So I bought a used 09 with 1500 miles on it for $3,600 private party and its almost as good as new.

Before the KLX I looked at the new CRF250L. Its a great bike and bargained priced at $4,499 but by the time the dealers are done they are bumping about $6,200 right now.

I heard business is good this year at least in the Pacific Northwest. I find it really surprising considering the gouging that is going on. I guess people just don't know and/or have money to burn. Its bad enough that people like me who know better and we can't deal.

The dealers tend to loosen up in the fall and winter but right now they seem to think a sucker is born every minute. At my local dealer they actually were changing the prices on all the used bikes + $500 just because they think they can get it and they probably will.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #74
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,476
It's funny that a dealer wants 450 Feight because at least with Yamaha they charge every dealer 99 bucks ship out a bike to them. I really dought any scooter maker charges the dealer more then 150 bucks. Set up fees? Gee you putt the wheel backs on and spent 1 hour max going over it. I remember before they changed this Doc fees .
I keep looking at scooters but inside got I don't wanted pay 600 bucks that's just a cash grab. Only once every paid this to car dealer because I was tired and need a car for work now and not next week. As for what dealer make it all depends on the bike. a pcx 150 they might be making 400 bucks on but a 7000 grand NCx700 they ll be 1200 or so. The higher the price the more they make. Theres a website that you can google for dealer motorcycle cost. I ve Forgetten the link In canada cycle mag the Langley Yamaha dealer mark had a 2 page write about how dealers make their cash. Loans seem to be one area they make money on. Helmets etc they make money on and service . Some Maker of Scooter or motorcycle use to demand a dealer take x number of bike etc including ones that weren't so poplar. Think that's changed.

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 07:33 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote