User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
pavemike OP
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 298
Continental Divide choice, XRR or DRZ?

Planning on running the CDR next year, but I'm torn on my choice of bike and hoping to hear from others that have run this route on these bikes. I'm looking for pro's or con's of each. My choices, based on what's in the garage, are either a plated 2001 XR650r or a 2004 DRZ400s. Both bikes have been maintained and are ready for a long trip. Specifics:

2001 XRR. Owned since new. Less than 3k miles thanks to an overseas assignment. Stock uncorked motor with Edelbrock carb and white brothers exhaust. Lighting is a single 8" trailtech halogen. The 6+ gallon Acerbis tank should cover the long range legs. Suspension has been updated with heavier springs to handle a small load on the rear with a giantloop bag. Standard protection is already installed (skid plate, hand guards, case savers).

2004 DRZ: bought used a few years ago and currently has 6k miles. Stock motor/exhaust/carb/suspension/lighting. Jetted with high altitude JD kit. Clarke tank installed for range. Protection is the same as the XRR (skidplate, hand guards, case savers). Original bolt on Giantloop already installed.

Your thoughts are welcome, and I'm hoping that someone will bring up some points that I'm overlooking.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 8,997
The DRZ will do anything the XRR will do, has better suspension (not by much, they both suck) and has a HUGE advantage of having E-Start.

It will be less comfy on the road with the tranny. The XRR is a beast anywhere, but is a tall bike that likes to be ridden fast. The suspension and brakes need to be upgraded, and you will learn to hate the kickstart with every fiber of your being.

Both bikes weigh about the same, but the DRZ has a better subframe.

It would be close if the XRR had E-start, but because it's kick-only, you have to give the nod to the DRZ. The XRR has a piston the size of a coffee can and a high-compression aluminum race engine that's prone to overheating if idling too long. And when it gets hot, it does not like to start. Do you want to spend your energy kicking over a bike, or riding?

So yeah, I'd go with the DRZ. Drop on a diff pipe, the DRZ-E hotter cam/carb, tune up/rebuild/replace the suspension and you have a pretty sweet ride. You can't fix the 5-speed tranny, but if you are offroad most of the time that won't be much of an issue.

Good luck and have fun! I'm jealous.

Do you have full gear and a full face helmet/goggles?
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 736
Take the DRZ with a countershaft sprocket option in your pocket for the days with lotsa road? I rode one on a 65mph pavement stretch with dirt gearing, and it wasn't a fun time with a headwind and tractor trailers around.

XRR could be done, but since you have both, the Suz takes it with e-start and overall more bomber and mellow, imho.

Caveat: haven't ridden the CD yet, and not sure what your route is (average speed planned; doing the hero loops or not; trailering home or pavement home; etc).
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
pavemike OP
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 298
I did forget to add a bit about the XR. I have a KTM fan installed with engine ice. I can run it slow with high RPMs in New Mexican sand washes during the summer without overheating issues. The Vapor computer shows the coolant temp rarely gets over 185 degrees. With the Edlebrock dialed in (painstakingly) the XR has become very easy to kick over (3 kicks max). But I do have to agree that the e start is a definite player in picking the DRZ over the XR. Power wise, the XR wins hands down, but I don't see myself blasting down dirt roads at speeds that would run the risk of finding my bike impounded. That power does come in handy on short highway jaunts though, especially when the DRZ feels like she is working hard at 70mph.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
take the suzuki. save the honda for somethen later thats alot of mies youll be puttjng on her.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
I don't think the bike choice matters much. I rode the north half from CO to Canada on my KLX400SR (green DRZ-S), but went with other riders who had a KLR and a BMW 650 Dakar (the single cylinder bike). Any decent thumper will work.

The DRZ-S has a decent subframe, and with a stock carb can get 50+ mpg. Stock gearing was OK. I didn't need lower gears, and I just kept it at about 70 mph indicated on the highway coming back.

I didn't check the valves or change the oil in 2700+ miles. Afterwards, the valves did not move even one thousandth in the past 4000 miles (including the trip), and the oil looked very clean. I added 6 oz. over the 2700 mi., and that included 1200+ miles of pavement at ~70 mph indicated. It is true that shim and bucket valves don't need to be adjusted very often.

Check or replace all the cables before going - the constant dust caused a very sticky throttle tube and cable, a new clutch cable is advised, and my speedo cable broke in Montana. Otherwise, the bike ran well. It never over heated even in 100 deg. days at 25 mph in Montana.

It is a good idea to replace normal wear items like chain, brake pads, tires, sprockets, etc., regardless of the bike you choose. I've known some who had the trip ruined when they had to spend a day or more looking for parts in the middle of nowhere.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
The stock seat on a DRZ400S is really bad, but you probably already know that. Adding an Alaska sheepskin and wearing bicycle shorts can make 400 mile days tolerable, though.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,705
I vote with murgatroid. Stock gearing and a sheepskin. The farm roads are fast so you'll be running them at freeway speeds for long stretches. Not really much pavement riding unless you are counting the commute to the CDR. Longest stretch you need 200 miles fuel range, depending on the exact route. That is the stretch between gas at Farson and gas at Rawlins. For me it was only about 170 miles, but my route was shorter than the track file I used.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
The DRZ will do anything the XRR will do, has better suspension (not by much, they both suck) and has a HUGE advantage of having E-Start.

It will be less comfy on the road with the tranny. The XRR is a beast anywhere, but is a tall bike that likes to be ridden fast. The suspension and brakes need to be upgraded, and you will learn to hate the kickstart with every fiber of your being.

Both bikes weigh about the same, but the DRZ has a better subframe.

It would be close if the XRR had E-start, but because it's kick-only, you have to give the nod to the DRZ. The XRR has a piston the size of a coffee can and a high-compression aluminum race engine that's prone to overheating if idling too long. And when it gets hot, it does not like to start. Do you want to spend your energy kicking over a bike, or riding?

So yeah, I'd go with the DRZ. Drop on a diff pipe, the DRZ-E hotter cam/carb, tune up/rebuild/replace the suspension and you have a pretty sweet ride. You can't fix the 5-speed tranny, but if you are offroad most of the time that won't be much of an issue.

Good luck and have fun! I'm jealous.

Do you have full gear and a full face helmet/goggles?

Still crying over not being able to handle the big XRR?

Get your facts straight so your hating makes sense.

DRZ has higher compression than the XRR, thus making it the more high strung bike of the two.

The E model is the same weight as the XRR, the S is maybe 20 pounds more than an XRR...non issue anyways, it's the Divide, dude.

pavemike, having ridden the divide route and knowing it's all high altitude I'd choose the bike with the biggest engine. Sounds like you have them both setup up right already. Come on spring!!!

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote