User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Batteries

Was just wondering if anyone has looked at and has any information about the Shorai LFX batteries? Just saw an ad on my local Craigslist from a local dealer. Never seen them before. Seems like a great option for those that are doing cafe bike and want to go with something a lot lighter and smaller, but just as powerful as the old school type batteries.

Any thoughts or experience??
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,367
I have those batteries in 2 of my dirt bikes and find them great , you can trickle charge them but don't charge them with a regular charger unless you can turn the rate way down .I have one of their dedicated chargers and have no problems .

Same batteries for 3 years so far.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Was just wondering if anyone has looked at and has any information about the Shorai LFX batteries? Just saw an ad on my local Craigslist from a local dealer. Never seen them before. Seems like a great option for those that are doing cafe bike and want to go with something a lot lighter and smaller, but just as powerful as the old school type batteries.

Any thoughts or experience??
I've had one in a 30 year-old UJM for about two years.

It works.

Take a peek here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=21219133
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Hmm, definitely something to think about when I need a new one. My present gel batteries are still holding out fine after 3 years. The Lithium ones aren't cheap, but if they last as long as they say, could be well worth it.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Mizumoto
n00b

Oddometer: 7
BMW AGM Battery

'Just checked my BMW AGM battery today from my 2001 R1100s (48kmi). I was doing the usual PM stuff with an airfilter change and I usually like to check the battery since it is also tucked waaaay under the tank and hard to get to normally. My HFT cheapie load tester read the AGM battery as good. But since I was going to the dealer anyhow to pick up a filter, I took the AGM in to have them officially test it on their expensive German tester. It read "good battery" with the service guy handing me the printout. Wow. So it has worked for me since 2004 for,...going on 9 years!! I ride pretty much year round commuting and throwing it on a Batt Tender when not riding for more than a week. BTW, I tried the newer Ballistic Lithium Ion Powersports Battery 12 Cell. It did not fit first of all with it being 1cm too wide. But through wiring it up anyhow the cranking performance was about the same as the old AGM. But I hear the Lithium Ion units only lose 1% charge /yr. vs the lead acid/AGM at 1%/day. And they improve in cranking power as they heat up with successive tries,...or so I am told. Hope that helps!
Mizumoto is offline   Reply With Quote