Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #166
Voodoo Chilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Great RR!

Hey Ty

Probably the best RR I've had the pleasure to read... inspiring stuff!

Nice to see the Tenna held up pretty impressively too (my weapon of choice also)

Out of curiosity... how many Km's have you clocked up on it? APart from the Battery issue, what other probs have you encountered?
Voodoo Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #167
mattadv93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Hmm another great ride report that has seemed to of died..... hope the rest of the trip went well

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

-Husaberg FE570
mattadv93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #168
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Humble apologies...

Hey crew,

Please accept my apologies on the halt on my ride report postings.

I have had some life changing occurrences (Even more than what this bike ride has produced!) and they have had to take precedence.

Be assured that I have taken many mental and written notes and heaps of accompanying adventure photos!

I would like to share with you why and what to give you a better understanding and somewhat "legitimise" my disappearance.

Before leaving the adventure bike riding heaven state of Queensland I received the saddening news that my dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. The chemotherapy and associated treatment immediately took affect in both good and bad ways. I took to the road and trail south without the usual, uncertain destination. Bewildered and trying my best to understand, comprehend and deal with the news I tried my best to take in the beautiful East Coast of Australia. My following ride reports (I promise!) will show it wasn't all gloom and doom. I spent as much time as my return to work date allowed with my folks, joined also with my motorbike riding sisters.

On my return to the parents home in Eden after my work swing away on the ship I was greeted with a unsettling phone call from my best mate Doug who has been the major contributing reason to undertake this ride of a lifetime. I've always been worried that Doug, being a fellow fiercely independent, tough it out, "hairy arsed Aussie bloke" would not let me know of a serious turn for the worse with his health. I've always told him "Mate, you let me know if you ever need me. I'll stash the bike and or come riding to you no matter what"

The frail voice that replied to my usual expletive greeting, only shared between the closest of knock about mates stunned me...

"Ty...., fella...., it's time to come home"

With dad's condition stabilised as best as possible with his treatment I took off to cross the Australian Continent to my mate. Again I will later show you my travels, highlighted with my older sister Kym and I riding together for a stint. Kym, after seeing Hydro and I ride in and stay at her place a couple of times (including my friendly fire crash) decided that her place was no longer behind my brother in law on his BMW R1200RT but behind her own set of handlebars. Cool...! Also with Dougs blessing I detoured for a few days to the amazing Kangaroo Island in South Australia. This was followed by the Nullarbor Plain that proved to be not so plain...

Luckily on my arrival to Perth in Western Australia I found Doug in hospital but in a much better condition. Thank F#*k!!!

Doug was able to come home to Fremantle after his latest round of chemotherapy and I stayed until my return to work was required. But...

A day out before my flight back to Darwin to go to work I received a phone call from a good mate Adam Famlonga in my home town in Exmouth. Adam asked me "Ty, do you know what happening up here in Exmouth?" Confused with his out of the blue question I replied "Ummm the annual whale shark festival?" Adam then blew me away with his reply of "Na mate, it been pissing rain all day here and the levy banks of the floodway near you home have over flowed, I've just taken three goes to get out of your yard with my (massive tyred, lifted suspensionend) four wheel drive Hilux. Your house and workshop are going under!"

Ahhhh F#*k!!! What's f#*king next?

I rang and informed work and flew home on the following day. I was confronted with the mess of what a foot of muddy water flowing through you home and workshop does. The slippery mud in and over everything, water dripping from power points, laminated cupboards and draws swelling past breaking point, fridges and freezers now keeping their stocks warm within their doors, beds and other furniture leaking water onto the drying silt. Outside mud caked what ever that was there before, grass, concrete, garden beds. Walking around through it all, had you resembling a learner roller skater, one hand grasping anything firm and stabilising and your feet far from steady under you. Large boulders, logs and other floatsam accumilated in obvious flow points, some parts of the yard resembled small versions of the grand canyon, displaying the destructive effects of water and erosion. Unlocking the workshop door revealed the same muddy "high tide" mark seen throughout the house, confirming which items had spent time underwater, light items like empty plastic jerry cans had relocated from their original positions and settled in the mud elsewhere according to the flow of flood waters and its escape.

The following days I started the clean up, there is something surreal about being in your bedroom with a garden hose and shovel, pushing mud out the door into the lounge area and then washing it out the front or back door, which ever way it seemed to flow better. At one overwhelming point through leaking eyes I read a fridge magnet I had bought years previous that stopped me in my muddy track with my sooky la la attitude. It is a quote from Winston Churchhill from obviously harder, more trying times compared to what I was going through. It reads "Never, never, never give up". Suddenly thoughts of my Dad, Grego and best mate Doug enforced a needed reality check. What was I upset about? My dramas are nothing compared to the battles these guys face everyday, every moment of their lives!

Now before I go further and I am sure you are now wondering "Ty what the hell has all this got to do with an adventure riding blog" I will try to explain! One of the best things amongst many I have learnt and felt from this ride around Australia, is the realization that even though, all my worldly possesions are distilled down to fit into two canvas panniers, a tank bag and swag I can not remember being so happy in my life!

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of my house, yard and workshop, I will admit to loving my remote, comfy couch and large Sony flat screen TV, but in the the real essence of experienced happiness and enjoyment I cannot think of anything as satisfying as motorcycle adventure. Having nothing but the most essential items strapped to a motorbike and discovering far away, foreign places is awesome! All these other material possesions I had worked so long and hard to surround myself with, now seemed of a far lesser value…

I returned to work after a week as my relief, had to make an important appointment. I was happy enough that the house was now safe and near livable, also that the insurance process had been started.

The workshop and yard could wait until I get back. To be honest, I needed the refuge of the ship and the ocean to take stock and process all of the recent happenings!

Unfortunately my swing was cut even shorter after only 12 days back at sea. A satellite phone call from my mum with the news that she wasn't sure that dads health would last the fortnight I had left to go. I departed the ship at the next port call in Darwin and travelled to his Canberra hospital.

Dads cancer illness has reduced him to a shadow of the man he once was. I've been terrified of him all my life with his strength of character and immence presence, now he resembles a haunting reminder of those black and white images of Prisoners of War.

Still though my admiration grows more for him everyday, with his fierce and gutsy battle to get better, especially when his is body allows, the talks we have about bikes.

His stories then flow of police chases, death defying crashes, pushing some bikes further than he ever rode them, carbies jamming on a old BMW while wide open on the throttle. This was with his mate on the back screaming to him to pull the plug leads from the heads! "Christ Ty, the electrocuting charge I got from that bike nearly killed me before we all came to a stop off the road and into the paddock!" . It seems like Dad has been riding "Adventure Bikes" for some time now...

So hopefully you'll accept my humble apology for my disappearance and when things settle down I will definitely continue my postings!
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #169
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Problems What Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Chilly View Post
Hey Ty

Probably the best RR I've had the pleasure to read... inspiring stuff!

Nice to see the Tenna held up pretty impressively too (my weapon of choice also)

Out of curiosity... how many Km's have you clocked up on it? APart from the Battery issue, what other probs have you encountered?
G'day Voodoo Chilly!

Sorry for the late reply. To answer your questions finally, so far I have ridden just over 50 000km on the Tenere. There is still a way to go!

I have been very happy with her and the day in, day out performance she provides. Sometime I think she is enjoying the adventure as much as me!

The battery problems still trouble me but I believe that is due to accessories draining the power whilst in "sleep" mode, particularly when idle for a while. I can only recommend being very careful on how things are wired up. I have been let down by some auto electricians and their standard of work when I first got things fitted. Unfortunately you usually only find these things out in the middle of nowhere. Also be careful of the amount of electrical accessories you put on the bike. It is tempting to keep adding the goodies when you are close to maximum or over the bikes charging capabilities. (Me!)

The cush drive rubbers wear prematurely compared to any other bike I've had. I believe this is a reasonably well known fault. I never bothered with packing them out with tyre tube rubber, I've just bought a new set when required. A bike mechanic I chatted with did warn me that if left unchecked, the thrush shock of the rear tyre with the chain can cause a whole lots of problems to the bike internally.

Other than that, the only other thing that has let me down is the fracturing of the 10-12mm? tubing frame that supports the headlight/windshield/fairing assembly. Where it bolts onto the head stem/frame it has fractured through.

I thought my eyes were playing tricks when I noticed the windshield vibrating to a blur doing the Bloomfield Track. I stopped at the "Lions Den" and electrical tied - zip tied it back in snug. I plan to strip it all down when I get a proper chance and weld it up with some extra bracing.

I have heard a few other Teneres doing the same through the "Tenere Tragics" Facebook page. I don't have my GPS on that small bar above the speedo, so I can't blame any extra weight being on the bracket. I could well blame 50 billion Far North Queensland dirt corrugations though…!

So mate thats all I can fault it on (Touch wood). Even after I lost her in a creek crossing on Cape York she still purrs away nicely.

I am a firm believer in doing regular services. Oil every 5000km or there a bouts. I think that oil and filters are cheap compared to the alternative... An old fishing boat skipper told me once when I was a young and impressionable deckie "Ty, I've never seen anyone go broke from doing too many oil changes on their boat engines, but I tell you what son, I've seen a couple that have by not doing enough". I will admit to living by that mantra, plus its my show of appreciation/thank you to the bike for giving me an awesome time!!!

Regards,

Hoonatic Ty
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #170
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Thought you'd forgotten about us mere mortals Ty...

Was speaking with Mark Griffin (Cuss) about you the other week.
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #171
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 139
Ty,
Best wishes for what's ahead of you.
You have been missed around here at ADV but we'll get by and keep hoping to see you back riding and writing just as soon as it suits you.

Keep well
Brian L
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #172
foggyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
hey ty

we were doing the lap of oz when that storm hit,we were planning on riding to Exmouth but the storm forced us to stop at the nanutarra roadhouse,ive never seen rain like it,i saw Exmouth on the news the next day it looks like we dodged a bullet but you were not so lucky,
good luck with the challenges ahead and as not the messiah said you've been missed round here,looking forward to your ride reports when the time is right,foggyred

foggyred screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 03:50 PM
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:57 AM   #173
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Holy Shit Ty
No one should have to go through that shyte all at the same time. That was a great post. U have the right attitude. I can totally understand ur feelings about the material items.

Anyway all the best for your buddy and Dad. I'll say a prayer for them and you.

Water and mud sometimes suck very much.

Keep on, keeping on
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #174
biker7one
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'm loving seeing country that I know well being described by you, it's like rediscovering it all over again. My best wishes to your loved ones battling their illnesses, they have a great friend/son in you.
On a much lighter note that lizard is known as a Sleepy lizard in SA, Shingleback in the eastern states I think and sometimes Stumpy lizard, although they do have a blue tongue a Blue tongue lizard is another reptile, sleeker, faster about the same size. Sorry for the trivia interval at this time, do what you gotta do. You have a great attitude to life and the land, thank you for the excellent read.
biker7one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #175
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 421
When you are down there is always some bastard trying to put their foot on your head. Chew hard and make the best of what is happening mate

Like you said, never, ever, ever give in

My best wishes are with you, your family and friends

Glen
Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #176
foggyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
hey ty

its been a while since weve heard from you,i hope all is well and life isn't throwing more shit at you, hope to hear from you soon foggyred
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote