User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #121
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Oodnadatta Camp Draft

Pulling up at the Pink Roadhouse for the second time in as many weeks I found that I could only fuel up the bike. I was looking forward to eating food prepared by someone else, a little treat for doing the adverse miles and distances. I was told that the only tucker available was out at the racecourse.

Intrigued, I rode south out of town with my stomach rumbling. The cars and crowd of people gave away the location of my next stop. I rode in on a different steed than that was being used within the arena. I was given heaps of thumbs ups and nods from the crew sitting on deck chairs and roo bars watching the action at hand.

I got a feed and made myself comfortable whilst watching the teams from the surrounding stations compete for the Oodnadatta camp drafting title.

Selecting a calf it was lassoed by the horse rider and dragged over to the central frame in the arena.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Here it was pinned against the railing, hooves bound and the calf brought down on its side by the wranglers.

Here the calf was "branded" with blue paint to mimic the normal process.

Crowds watched on as the teams did as many calves in the time frame allowed. Outback entertainment, cowboy style.

Later I remounted and rode the dirt track south, I had big miles I wanted to do...
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #122
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Ochre Cliffs

Even though I had ridden up through here previously I had totally missed this place not far off the Oodnadatta Track. Even in the bright midday sun the colours were startling. From white, to reds, yellows and mustard blends.

Panorama Paints

Bob tail, Blue tounge, Shingle back lizard, what do you call them in your area?

I stayed at the Marree Pub this time on the way down. My plans to camp on the side of the road changed as I watched a massive lightning show brew in the west and make its way east towards me.

I raced through the early evening darkness to enjoy cold beers and a immense chicken schnitzel and chips with the publican Phil and his wife Maz. We watched the lightning while the thunder signified the start of a heavy but short rain shower. Moments like those, sharing yarns with great company whilst mother nature puts on a show are unforgettable. You wouldn't be dead for quids!

If your passing through, drop in and check out the pubs interior. This is a real fine outback establishment. The large facade has a cavernous interior with heaps of museum like displays and photos of yesteryear. Well worth a look! My room was an age old squeaky floor boarded one with thick carpets and 12 foot ceilings! My only dislike of the place was the huge staircase to climb up with my wrecked knee!

Maz, watching my pained and pathetic movements, rang her friend June the towns RFDS nurse (for the last 30 years!) in the morning. June came around to inspect and strap my grotesque knee. Telling her that I was disappointed about being denied my plan to cross the Simpson, she simply replied "Ty, don't worry son, the desert isn't going anywhere. You can do it another time."

Putting it in such valid and simple terms made me realise I had a good excuse to come back another time. The desert wasn't going to beat me just yet!

The Marree Roadhouse makes awesome pies, pasties and giant sausage rolls for the hungry traveller.

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 05:06 PM
Old 08-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #123
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Bob tail, Blue tounge, Shingle back lizard, what do you call them in your area?
Blue Tongue were I came from many years ago (Nhill, Vic.).
I was gunna be a smart arse and tell you that those three names are actually three different lizards, but a quick check with my mate Wiki Pedia seems to indicate that Bob Tail and Shingleback are the same but Bluey is different.
I think that these fellas are Blueys, the "shingles" on a shingleback are bigger and more pronounced.
Biology class over, carry on.....

Great RR's, love your work.
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #124
Gotawee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Thanks for sharing your great RR and photo's.
Good to see the terrain as I will be riding some of the outback parts of your trip next August.

Hope your knee makes a full recovery.

Cheers Gotawee

2003 Suzuki GS500 - "Suzie"- Traded In
Gotawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #125
Phrog
Terra Australis

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonatic Ty View Post
Down from the Snowys to Eden on the NSW south coast I cleaned and stored the bike at my folks place.
G'day Ty.
First off, great report. This is the fire I might just need to get me off my ass & do that lap of Oz that I've always dreamed about.

Secondly, those axes on your Dads back wall, I hope their there because he's a competition wood cutter?

Poverty is the mother of invention.
Phrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #126
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Awesome!

Thanks for sharing!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #127
PilbaraGoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Bloody good yarn so far Hoon.
I loved your description of the dangers along the straight sections of our outback gravel "highways". The sneaky little washaways, pointy rocks, ruts hidden in the shade and the sandy bits...they do make it hard to relax at times.
Bugger about your knee....shoulder....exploding spinal column, damn - what could be next for ya.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #128
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Gratitude

Thanks crew for the encouraging comments!

As mentioned previously, I hope you all get a good dose of enjoyment and encouragement, following my tell it how it is ponderings and experiences on the adventure riding trail!

I will apologize for my intermittent postings, but you must understand the majority of places I find myself catching my breath, don't usually have any internet reception to share the tale with you!

Anyway.... "Lets Ride!!!"
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #129
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

New Direction

With my newly acquired disability, my mind and thoughts were evolving a new plan of attack, direction and destination as I rode down the Oodnadatta Track.

Plan D or was it E? was terminated soon after its inception when I pulled into Lyndhurst. The Strzelecki Track had just been opened to 4WDs only that morning, a big mob of trucks and their mining/gas field equipment were stationary at the turn off unable to continue, waiting for road conditions to improve. Talking to all the truckies on the roadhouse veranda, painted a picture of a muddy mess and a challenge I wasn't ready to undertake in my injured state... I was thinking of at least achieving a geographical milestone of Cameron Corner. It was not to be.

A southerly direction was continued and a return to the bitumen had me passing the northern turn off into the Flinders Ranges. This brought on a good feeling of knowing. A smile and thumbs up salute was dedicated to the rising geological wonderland on my left that had amazed me weeks earlier.

I decided to continue on down the blacktop to a place recommended by a ancient fella with a battered hat and not many teeth that I had spoken with at the Lyndhurst BP roadhouse. Filling up at Hawker I followed farming back roads, still wet with slippery surprises from the recent, but rare rains.

Getting into the Cradock Pub on dark, I was welcomed by the very bike friendly owners Shiree and Peter Holden. Their hospitality was backed with an awesome feed prepared by Peter himself and great, cheap accommodation. They fondly knew of the old fellow that suggested their well renovated piece of South Australian history. As I limped off to bed (thankfully stair free) with a full stomach, more outback miles under my belt and with a book on the local history from Shiree under my arm, I praised the word of mouth scenario.

Lawrence, the ghost of the former publican didn't disturb my slumber, but I felt pity for him as I read about his demise before I nodded off. It was from a strange virus (Meningitis?) He died in his room, but the local undertaker refused to move the body due to the nature of his disease. Poor Lawrence laid in his room for a week in the South Australian November heat until a group of locals decided enough was enough and carted him up to the cemetery!

The morning sun rises over Shiree and Peters pub and cars in Cradock.

Whilst doing my early morning ritual of bike prep, Peter came out to talk. He recommended the back road from Cradock to Yunta. This turned out to be another great local knowledge suggestion, the dirt road taking me through some awesome outback/farming country. If your anywhere near the area, do yourself a favour and check it out. Don't forget to drop in and wash the dust (or mud) out of the throat at the Cradock!

Farming ruins along the way.

Waukaringa Ruins Truck

On reaching the Barrier Highway at Yunta after a great morning of riding twisting, winding, lonely dirt roads I had to come to terms with a final destination. My five weeks off work would soon be coming to an end and I would need to make preparations to store the bike and return to sea.

I turned east for Sydney with a deciding factor in my mind. My riding gear was looking rather worse for wear with the second Dri Rider pants bought only a few thousand kilometres previous, now disappointingly in tatters. The RST jacket that I bought to replace the Dri Rider jacket (that also fell apart at the seams) was sporting the large grazed holes from my crash with Hydro in Geelong. Considering this I thought of treating myself. Mmmm Klim riding gear, that's it! here I come Sydney Town!

Along the way. Mannahill Train station.

Olary train station, note the steam train water tanks I mentioned earlier along the Oodnadatta Track.

Old towns...

Cockburn, border town.

Once I got into phone range in Broken Hill I contacted Steve Smith from Adventure Moto to see if he had any Klim Badlands suits to cover my large frame. His assurance that he had, got me in the mood to push out some large bitumen miles. Steve advised me though to "be careful of the goats out that way!" Once clear of the mining town his warning was heeded with the unbelievable amount of goats on the side of the road. I have never seen so many in my life. I must of past tens of thousands of them! All the roadside vegetation was seemingly trimmed meticulously to a uniform hight. Goat height.

Pulling into Wilcannia for a last fuel stop for the day I thought I had a chance to get to Cobar. I decided to go for it, only half way there the heavens opened and with foolish stubbornness I continued on not wanting to pull up in the torrential rain to get into my swag.

A mining Hilux ute roared by in the darkness and flooding rain. I took off after it, assuming it as my goat/native animal road clearer. I kept the tail lights close enough to just give me time to avoid anything that it spat out at me in its high speed wake. My faith was in the belief that I really couldn't suffer anymore dramas or bad luck than what had occured to me in the last week. It just couldn't be possible...

Drenched to the bone I pulled into the Great Western Hotel and after a counter meal dinner, crashed out in my basic but dry room out the back.

In the morning I was greeted with more torrential rain which didn't let up all day until I crossed over the Blue Mountains just out of Lithgow. Keeping positive, the freezing water within my pants I guess dulled the pain of my ballooned knee.

Humour along the way, there is a place for all of us out there somewhere...

Pitstop.

I found though that even in unfavourable wet, cold and miserable moments like these, I crazily still considered myself incredibly lucky! Fortunate that as least I was out and about on my motorbike.

Admiring glances from like minded others at fuel stations and food outlets, wide eyed kids staring as if I had flown in on a spaceship, intrigued looks from total strangers, some with the confidence to come up and ask "Where did you get all that mud all over your bike mate?" My reply of "Outback Northern Territory/South Australia" bringing shocked but glazed looks as they tried to imagine the far away lands I spoke of.

I'm enjoying the adventure, no matter what...

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 08:10 AM
Old 10-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #130
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
A W E S O M E !

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #131
foggyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
frickin awesome
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #132
shippy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Humour along the way, there is a place for all of us out there somewhere...

Fantastic.
shippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #133
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Gday Ty

Loving the thread Ty. Where's next?
turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #134
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

I'm on my way Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobob View Post
Loving the thread Ty. Where's next?
Hey there fella!

Great to hear you're enjoying the thread, especially since it was you I have to thank that encouraged the "Adventure Rider Writer' within.

From Sydney its up to Cape York!

Look out, here I come…
Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #135
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Sydney Town

There was an immense relief from the incessant rain I ridden through for the last few days and thousands of high speed kilometres as I rolled into adventuremoto.com HQ.

Frozen to the bone, battered and bruised I ungraciously dismounted to a warm welcome at the Sydney Hills Holiday Park in Dural. Steve Smith owns this comfortable place on the outskirts of the Sydney area which also doubles as the dispatch point of AdventureMoto. I booked into a onsite park home deciding that I would take Steve up on his friendly and very generous offer to store my bike and gear while I go back to sea for my 5 week swing. I had considered to keep motoring up to a mates place near Brisbane but in my thrashed and fragile state I thought it better to take it easy, recover and clean up both myself the bike.

A place to call home.

Any regret for spending a small fortune on my new KLIM riding gear was negated by the assurance of luxurious comfort and durability promised by both Steve "Wolfy" Smith and Lance "Russ" Turnley. I trust the age old saying of "you get what you pay for" will take place… I will keep you posted, as my future extensive travels will certainly test this impressive looking equipment.

Ahhh retail therapy, there is nothing quite like it, especially if it involves a motorbike or something for it...

Staying here at the Sydney Hills Holiday Park I soon got to meet one of the resident motorcycle enthusiasts, "MT". He keeps the place looking great and as we shared yarns it became clearly evident that even as a Kiwi, MT knows more places around Australia to ride an adventure bike than most Aussies! Verbally jousting with the most remote places visited, he would impressively match me with experiences had, people met and adversities overcome! A lot of his travels done years previously on a Triumph Tiger, he was a great source of info, hints and places not to miss. It is cool the characters you come across when you least expect it...

Cleaning "Swift Satin" and "King Kenny Junior"

Getting lost in a different kind of jungle or new environment can give you cool surprises or different rewards… Also it should be mentioned the surprises riding my bike for the first time in a long time, free of the loaded AndyStrapz Pannierz and Swag! A vastly different mount to hang onto!!!

In Funky Town, surrounded by funky people and funky motorbikes…

It was time to go back to work, back to reality, to let the body recover and give me a chance plan the next direction of adventure…