Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
DrewCopter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quick way to sell foreign bike in Portugal or Spain?

I'm trying to sell my Irish registered bike as a holiday draws to a close here. I thought it would be a piece of cake to unload my bike (honda vfr) to a dealer but I've not had any luck with that in Portugal so far. Seems like everyone is only interested in trade-ins for new bike purchase. I've tried going on local classified but reponse is pretty poor considering my bike is irish registered.

So if you were in Portugal or Spain and needed to ditch a bike in a hurry where would you turn? I know I'm gonna lose a little money but I'd prefer to sell off the bike ASAP at this point.
DrewCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
PHILinFRANCE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
I reckon your best bet is to go on an expat forum but sadly as here in France you're going to loose more than a little money , probably only get 50% of the value !!!

Phil
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,126
The economy there is in toilet isn't it? Nobody has any money.

Is it insured against theft?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
iantochips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Has it got a Certificate of Conformity? If not any buyer in Portugal at least wouldn't be able to re-register it.

How do I know this? From painful personal experience.....take it back home is my advice.
iantochips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Put it in storage until the spring.......either a nice wee run home,or you can get to Greece
on the ferries for 250GBP(300 something "E" money!).My bike is currently sitting in Barcelona,
just going out to rescue in.......couldn't get it in the villa myself.Be out around the 18th if yer needing
a hand!
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
So if you were in Portugal or Spain and needed to ditch a bike in a hurry where would you turn? I know I'm gonna lose a little money but I'd prefer to sell off the bike ASAP at this point.[/QUOTE]

Try advetising it in UK and offer to pay the price of a flight + some expenses for the buyer to come and get it with a 'free' holiday thrown in?
Worth a go, you're never going to shift it otherwise. Either that or do a 2 day mega blast back and sell it at home. Ferry from spain to UK?

Good luck

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
So if you were in Portugal or Spain and needed to ditch a bike in a hurry where would you turn? I know I'm gonna lose a little money but I'd prefer to sell off the bike ASAP at this point.
Try advetising it in UK and offer to pay the price of a flight + some expenses for the buyer to come and get it with a 'free' holiday thrown in?
Worth a go, you're never going to shift it otherwise. Either that or do a 2 day mega blast back and sell it at home. Ferry from spain to UK?

Good luck[/QUOTE]

What's with all this UK talk? It's an Irish registered bike not UK.
Completely different country! Different paper work and you will not get much value in the uk selling it either.

My advice is to get the bike to Ireland, give yourself a holiday, drive up through Spain, France and catch a cheap boat to Ireland.
Advertise it on an Irish site called www.donedeal.ie and it will sell quickly while you drink Guinness!
Then fly back to Portugal.
Simple.

While your at it throw up some pictures and details of the bike here.

The other option is to register the bike in Portugal but I don't know what that involves.
Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapegoat View Post

Good luck
What's with all this UK talk? It's an Irish registered bike not UK.
Completely different country! Different paper work and you will not get much value in the uk selling it either.

My advice is to get the bike to Ireland, give yourself a holiday, drive up through Spain, France and catch a cheap boat to Ireland.
Advertise it on an Irish site called www.donedeal.ie and it will sell quickly while you drink Guinness!
Then fly back to Portugal.
Simple.

While your at it throw up some pictures and details of the bike here.

The other option is to register the bike in Portugal but I don't know what that involves.[/QUOTE]

I have already spread the word on www.biker.ie but, they will n need photos and more info. Great excuse to take a sun holiday and ride back.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
DrewCopter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Decided to give myself more time to sell it in IE rather than chance it so I left portugal fast. In the UK now will be back to the emerald isle soon.. will have more detalis on the bike as well!
DrewCopter is offline   Reply With Quote