User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #31
O-livier
S'en fout la mort!

Oddometer: 187
flame

These pics do break my heart... such a beautiful GS!

My limited 2 cents to the debate : Defective QD may explain how the fuel leaked but not why the bike caught fire. Have had many fuel leaks on hot engines and the bike never caught fire... strong smell and immediate evaporation is the result from the leak... Need an open flame or a spark to actually ignite the fuel... What coud have caused an open flame or sparks right next to the leaking fuel?
01 KTM 400 EXC
O-livier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
I only though the final drive could start a fire.

Seriously, that sucks. My 1100GS was one of my favorit bikes I've owned. Gotta say the replacement looks a peach, Has my favorite cases too.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #33
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,312
One day on my 2003 GSA I started the machine, put my gloves on and gave it a look over before I hopped on. I noticed a good flow of fuel coming from the fuel hose by the pinch clamp shown in the picture below. There are two clamps one above the injector and the other just up the hose. I took a pair of wire cutters or dykes and pinched the clamps stopping the leak.

In this picture similar clamps are under the red and yellow shrink rap or tape at the ends. Years ago there was a big QD thread. One expert who sold QDs said they weren't designed to have clamps on them.

Here is the thread I am referring to Reliability of quick disconnects from McMasters Carr Expert was Poolside.
Read the last paragraph of quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

Are some of you fellas reusing hose that was previously fitted? That's a bad thing. Specified procedure for all formed-end hose fittings is to replace the hose. Bead form, single barb, multi barb, and every other variation, specify no hose reuse.

Regarding the difficulty of removing the reinforced hose from the multi-barbed fitting: A reinforced hose in good condition cannot be removed from a correctly-sized multi barb fitting without damaging the hose.

Refitting a used reinforced hose, with an over-tightened external band clamp, masks the damage to the hose. But don't let anyone stop you from doing what you think is best

A common (and good) way to remove a reinforced hose from a multi barb fitting is to slice lengthwise above the fitting, through the outer layer of the hose, and through the reinforcement braid, with a razor. As the blade reaches the reinforcement braid filaments, and is drawn across the individual threads, it feels as though the blade is 'skipping' across the barbs on the fitting. But that isn't the case. The hose has another layer of rubber beneath the braid filaments.

It isn't an advocation. The specification for multiple barb fittings used with reinforced hose is no external band clamp. And the specification for bead-form fittings (as used on the OEM fuel filter and the fuel tank bulkhead), and single-flute barb fittings, is a just-snug band clamp.

scooteraug02 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 07:45 PM
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #34
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,409
Gas catching fire

I was up at my nephews ranch and did an experiment last fall.
We hooked up an old range outside an put a pot of gasoline on it and left the element on high.
Ambient temp. was about 60F.
The whole pot of gas boiled away and then the aluminum pot eventually melted.
No fire - I was surprised.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #35
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
I was up at my nephews ranch and did an experiment last fall.
We hooked up an old range outside an put a pot of gasoline on it and left the element on high.
Ambient temp. was about 60F.
The whole pot of gas boiled away and then the aluminum pot eventually melted.
No fire - I was surprised.
Good thing you guys didn't have any C4 or dynamite kicking around to play with.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #36
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,127
A more appropriate test would have been pouring the gas onto the element, though. As it was, the gas probably never exceeded its boiling temperature, which isn't all that hot.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #37
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO View Post

GREAT job on the rebuild...

Seriously....it made me sick when I read your RR and saw the fire.

Glad to see your up and at it again.