Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
I always liked the Road King since it first came out as the Electra Glide Sport (or the original Duo-Glide if you prefer), to me it's the original classic motorcyle style, the kind of look that never goes out of fashion. It's not influenced by wind tunnels or the B1 Bomber it's just an old school bike with modern features: cruise control, abs etc.

Just traded this an 09 RK that had 62k miles.

The Electra Glide follows the same philosophy and it's really the same bike as the RK with the "Batwing" fairing thats been available since 1969. Like the RK it's modern in many ways, ABS, cruise control, heated grips, AM/FM/CD etc.

My new bike 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

I'm not sure HD fits into retro style since some of the styling cues haven't changed all that much in 40 years.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,324
I fell for the Scrambler,absolutely had to have one. Bought an 07 green/silver,it really looked the part and people marveled at it wherever I parked it,old coots came out of the woodwork to kibbitz about the old days.
Problem is I always forget Im somewhat of a hotrodder and like to pitch bikes into corners and lean em way over after nailing the brakes hard coming in................The Scrambler would have nothing to do with this sort of frivolity.

Hitting the brakes hard only made the forks twist and the bike crab sideways,and they arent even good brakes,the forks and shocks are the same thing Harley puts on their bargain bin Sportster,clunky/banging back smacking things.

And hard parts drug as soon as I leaned it over much at all,this with longer shocks. Then it held very little gas,and got very poor mileage,and made about 38 hp from a 900cc engine. Well over 500 lbs dry. Slow? Dont Ask.

I think that Triumph nailed it on these bikes really,they are honest to dog vintage bikes with vintage performance,and they have the look down just so. Many riders are deeply smitten with these bikes and keep working at making them look better.

Triumphs are a quality bike though,I picked up a 99 1200 Trophy and have had nothing but a blast every time I ride the thing,it easily goes fast enough and handles great.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
CBRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I think the retro style bikes just look right. I guess because that's what bikes looked like when I started riding. I bought my 2000 W650 new in 2002. This is a bike I don't think I'll ever sell.

One of these days I might get a Moto Guzzi V7 Stone to keep it company in my garage.

This is a recent photo. It has about 32,000 miles on it.

CBRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #19
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 596
Suits my abilities better than a sports bike, Had Triumphs for the last 18 years and like the reliability and the style. Got the Thruxton as I didn't like the kink in the exhaust of the Bonneville. Its a good bike if you like tinkering and have done about 30 or so modifications to get it just the way I wanted it.

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #20
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Sensible

Oddometer: 383
Does this qualify as a "Retro-Styled" Bike? Retro-Styled-Sportbike maybe?

LOL!! I know I'm stretching it b'ys ... the 'lil ZZ-R is an absolute hoot though and dirt cheap to run!

You all are lucky to have such lovely Bikes folks ... those Guzzis and W650s are the stuff of dreams ... thanks for allowing me to drool!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #21
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,714
I get the classic styling without the shyte electrics and suspension parts.

Win-win. There's a CB1100 in my future.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #22
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
[QUOTE=CBRider;20188156
One of these days I might get a Moto Guzzi V7 Stone to keep it company in my garage.
[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid that a look at the Stone and CB1100 might make me break my new one bike only rule.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #23
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
Why do you need a retro when you can ride the classic?

+1

And there is no depreciation. I bought that bike for $700. Well, it's been a few years now. And I did put few bucks into spiffing it up a bit. But still.

Seriously though I did look at retro styled bikes as opposed to the real deal. I have multiple bikes so in the end the real thing had more appeal.

As for why I wanted retro anything, that was heavily influenced by my purchase of a new Ducati 996 in 2000. That bike quickly cured me of my infatuation with sportbikes, I was not worthy. (Don't get me wrong, I loved the bike, still own it in fact. I just realized it's potential was wasted on me).

I like retro styled bikes because though I like older bikes in general, they can be a pain to live with.

As for current retro bikes, I thought I'd love the Guzzi V7. Then I saw that red frame and hubs and whatever else. Ewww.... maybe if I can find a used one someday that I can tear down and refinish. But then again I've always had this silly desire to build a Sportster in the way I wish the Motor Company would....
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #24
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Cool Factor--- off the charts....

2012 Triumph Bonneville T-100

1989 Honda GB500

Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #25
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
If you ever want to double your money I'll give you $1400 for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
+1

And there is no depreciation. I bought that bike for $700. Well, it's been a few years now. And I did put few bucks into spiffing it up a bit. But still.

Seriously though I did look at retro styled bikes as opposed to the real deal. I have multiple bikes so in the end the real thing had more appeal.

As for why I wanted retro anything, that was heavily influenced by my purchase of a new Ducati 996 in 2000. That bike quickly cured me of my infatuation with sportbikes, I was not worthy. (Don't get me wrong, I loved the bike, still own it in fact. I just realized it's potential was wasted on me).

I like retro styled bikes because though I like older bikes in general, they can be a pain to live with.

As for current retro bikes, I thought I'd love the Guzzi V7. Then I saw that red frame and hubs and whatever else. Ewww.... maybe if I can find a used one someday that I can tear down and refinish. But then again I've always had this silly desire to build a Sportster in the way I wish the Motor Company would....
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #26
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Sensible

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangoman View Post
Cool Factor--- off the charts....

1989 Honda GB500

OMG!!! Serious Retro-lust right there!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #27
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Still have my 1974 Ducati 750GT. But therein lies the difference: like a late 60's Ferrari, it's very street worthy today. It's smooth, fast (enough), handles well and (mine) is dead reliable. I don't have to go out and find a "retro" styled Ducati, the real (old) one works just fine. But like 60's Aston Martins, old English bikes are not wonderful on the road today. So, if you like those looks, the cool retros make sense. I'll keep my Ducati.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #28
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
When I got mine, the "retro" trend hadn't happened yet. But I got it for the same reasons. I wanted a sporty bike with adequate performance, light and nimble, with a 2-cyl engine because I like the sound and feel of twins better, and with no fairing because a motorcycle should have a visible motor. It's not a fairingcycle. Basically what I wanted was a Norton Commando with modern reliability and service requirements.

At the time (1993), no such thing existed. The only sporty 2-cyl bikes at all were Ducati and Buell, and the Buells then were not yet up to standard.

Then Ducati debuted the Monster, and that was exactly what I was looking for. So that's what I still am riding.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #29
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
Why do you need a retro when you can ride the classic?
+2

Picked up my '82 Suzuki purely because it was cheap, running, and all the parts were there in good shape. Since then done many, many upgrades to it, and it does whatever I want it to do. Blast down the local back roads? Check. Comfortably eat up highway miles? Check. Ride for days on end cross country? Check. It is also the easiest thing I've ever worked on and maintenance is simple and rewarding.

I have looked and thought about getting a Bonneville, and I quite like how they look, but I don't see the sense it paying out 10K for a bike that doesn't do anything better than my old Zook. Now if I didn't already have the Suzuki, a Bonnie with upgraded suspension and a breathed on motor would top my list in bike wants.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
drooartz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Among my motorcycle history have been a W650, '07 Bonneville, and most recently a '73 R75/5. I just, plain and simple, love the style of bike from before the hyper-segmentation that we see today. These are what a motorcycle is supposed to look like to me.

Keep in mind that I'm 40, so not young anymore, but still too young to have had one of the originals when they were new, or to have even longed for them when I first discovered riding. I bought my first bike in 2000 long after the originals were gone, and as someone who came of age in the late 1980s, motorcycles didn't look much like these three.

Best year of riding ever for me was on the Bonneville. Took it everywhere, long trips, commuting, you name it. I know folks here complain that it's slow, heavy, poor handling, etc. For me it was perfect in those areas. I loved the handling -- it fit perfectly with my ability level and desires. I knew exactly what it could do and where its limits were, so I could ride it hard enough to have fun without the fear that I was gong to get over my head. If it had a larger gas tank (I want the range) I'd still have it.

I really liked the R75/5, and might get another. But the flip side is that these original bikes are now getting on 40 years old, and no matter how reliable some of them are, that's still a lot of years for a bike. I've got one old crock already (a '70 MGB) and dealing with the extra maintenance of an older bike isn't really appealing to me right now. My R75/5 really needed a full teardown, and I just couldn't do it, so out the door it went. Replaced by a F650 that I just haven't warmed to, so that bike will be leaving in the spring probably to be replaced by another Bonnie, or maybe a V7 Special, or maybe another /5 (i the new CB1100 had a larger tank, that'd be on the list as well). We'll see.

So I guess I don't see them so much as retro, rather as being what I want in a motorcycle -- just like I don't consider a modern Jeep Wrangler to be retro, it's just what a Jeep is supposed to look like.
drooartz is offline   Reply With Quote