Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #76
fireflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I did the first service on the Moto Guzzi last night: re-torqued the heads, adjusted the valves and changed the oil.

That's why.

It was easier to service the MG than it is to service my XR (and that's a simple bike). Nothing gets removed. Feeler guages and standard tools. Simplicity.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #77
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
If I could afford to buy a new bike the Guzzi would be on the top of my list. Easy maintenance, shaft drive, good ergonomics, are important for me but the price is a killer. I'll have to stick with my 31 year old GL500I which has many of the attributes of the Guzzi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyr View Post
I did the first service on the Moto Guzzi last night: re-torqued the heads, adjusted the valves and changed the oil.

That's why.

It was easier to service the MG than it is to service my XR (and that's a simple bike). Nothing gets removed. Feeler guages and standard tools. Simplicity.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #78
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The problem I see with most retro styled bikes is that they are like a PT Cruiser. They mimic old bikes, but are otherwise totally modern.

PT Crusier? I'd say more like a new Camaro or Mustang The PT does nothing for me, the other two do. And just like the bikes none of the above will ever "fool" you into thinking it's a vintage machine, and it would be silly to try. But to design a machine that pays homage to the original looks with a modern(ish) ride, why not?

I agree they are just retro styled. I could've bought the real deal for a lot less money than I did my New Bonneville, there's a reason for that.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #79
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 428
Here's my 2000 Kawasaki W650

My first bike was a 2007 SV650 I bought brand new in 2008. I did a Triumph demo day and rode a Bonneville in 2010. I told myself that I should have bought that bike in the first place. Sold the SV about a year ago and happened upon a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 to give a sport bike a shot. As much as its an awesome middle weight, honestly, just wasn't as fun because well, I don't do track days.

Went looking for a Bonneville after I sold the Daytona, and noticed one across the street from where I live. But wait, it wasn't a Triumph, it was a Kawasaki....with 7022 miles. Made the guy an offer and bought it a few days later. I knew about the W650 for a long time and said I would buy one if I ever got a chance. And I did! Bonnie is too Hipster.

For me, I'm 34 years old, and have only been riding for almost 5 years now and I'm well past wanting to go uber fast. I have more fun riding around on the Kawi than I ever did on the SV or the D675.

GoonerYoda screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 11:40 AM
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #80
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,606
Beautiful bike.

Sarah
Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #81
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 871
Thumb

These W650's are making a stir in the Retro stakes......... For a modern bike, they're an excellent compromise - so miuch so, I got one too

Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #82
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,891
I've also got an '01 W650, and love it.

Been riding 49 years, and have owned every style, and most brands, of bikes.

My favorite was probably a vintage Triumph I had. Based on my age, Triumphs were THE bikes to own. Looked and sounded great, and a college dorm mates '64 Bonneville was the first bike I was ever on.

When I saw the W, and read about it, I figured it was all the benefits of a Brit bike with none of the headaches. Luckily, that's just how it turned out.

I sold my SV1000 soon after buying the W and have no regrets. Same for a Wee Strom, found it wasn't dirt enough, just wasn't using it, much preferred to ride the W on the street.

Wish they'd bring the W800 here.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #83
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
In 1979 I bought my biggest badest bike, Benelli Tornado 650 which tore my arms from their sockets and buried my eyeballs in the back of my skull when I tore the accelerator open. It vibrated my teeth out of my skull and ate light bulbs and fuses like they were free. I wanted a Triumph Bonneville but by then Triumphs were clearly on the way out and because I lived in Italy the Benelli was easily found used and had actual parts and delaers to hand. It was a terrible ride, full of character and breakdowns and epic speed.

Imagine my surprise when I found I was the object of the retro craze that suddenly permeated the motorcycle industry. I was no longer obliged to ride a plastic coated transformer. I could own a bike that looked like a bike from my youth with none of the terrible inconveniences known as "character.".

I thought about a Ducati Classic with more performance but I ride a lot, 15,000 miles a year and only use a car when family requirements oblige me to. A Ducati seemed a bit iffy for a daily rider, especially in Flatistan where Ducati's out-of-the-box performance isn't necessary. I wanted a Harley but the XR1200 was years away and even when it did come out the stupid plastic bodywork prevented easy attachment of luggage. I like the 1200R Sportster no longer offered and the Road King is lovely but too huge. I like the W650 but it is a museum piece nowadays after only two years for sale in the US and has no accessoriy catalogue like the Bonneville's.
The Ural? 15,000 miles a year at 25mpg on a Russian bike? The Enfield? Not likely. The Moto Guzzi V7 is lovely but I like a bike with a dealership network. The Bonneville wins on all counts. Don't like the seat, suspension, engine size, tires, exhaust..etc etc..? Buy a new one to your taste. The bike itself is cheap enough by modern standards. I'd love a Colorado Norton Works Interstate but at $30,000 its too rich for my 99% blood. I earn my "it's only money" sitting up all night.

I have ridden the Bonneville 70,000 miles and I've ridden it 36 hours straight. I commute, ride around town, travel and pootle and I enjoy it as much as ever. I wish it had tubeless tires and a bigger fuel tank but even if I wear this one out I will look for a carburetted replacement. I like the looks of the Honda CB1100 or the Yamaha SR400 but the Bonneville is a mainstream offering by a reputable manufacturer that stands behind the bike. Japanese retros are one small slice of a huge industrial output.

I could go on but I was 22 and tough back then. I'm soft and middle aged now. I rented a BMW K1200S one trip back to Italy and it was fun hitting 125mph on the Autostrada but in this land of diminished speed limits the Bonneville is fine for me.

IBA#39,523

conchscooter screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 07:37 PM
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #84
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
I got my old bike (actually bikes) because I was on German eBay under the influence of Czech beer.
I bought it primarily because it was ¼ the price of similar BMW's. It was a bonus that it was old and speed limited so I wouldn't kill myself out on the German autobahn.
They're super simple to work on and "upgrade" due to lots of interchangeable parts. Ural/Dnepr bikes and parts were cheap and plentiful once upon a time.
For instance, the slightly used Ural 650cc OHV engine AND gearbox (second photo) were $475 and took me about two hours to swap out by myself. I upgraded from manual advance ignition to electronic ignition and newer carbs all with hand tools: no carb sync tools, timing lights, or dwell meters. I had the whole thing running again in a weekend.
Did I mention that they look cool, too???

gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #85
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
I'll see your Kawasaki W650 and raise you 150cc!

I'd probably pay 150% of MSRP and use my left testicle as a down-payment on one of these if they'd just get W800's to the USA.

gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #86
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
Does this qualify as a "Retro-Styled" Bike? Retro-Styled-Sportbike maybe?

LOL!! I know I'm stretching it b'ys ... the 'lil ZZ-R is an absolute hoot though and dirt cheap to run!

You all are lucky to have such lovely Bikes folks ... those Guzzis and W650s are the stuff of dreams ... thanks for allowing me to drool!
Nice! I just picked up this ZX(R "retro 90's" sportbike. I'm big on the lime/purple combo

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #87
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,017
For me it was back in '93, when the guys I worked with were drooling over the [then brand new] Ducati Monster - I said to them if I ever bought a street bike, it would be one of those... and sure enough when the time came, it was!

I've had my M620 for ten years now, and although clearly it's had a few mods along the way, I've still tried to keep it clean and simple...

However, my first love is still dirt bikes, and for me perhaps the purest of them all is my Honda TLR:

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #88
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post

I'd probably pay 150% of MSRP and use my left testicle as a down-payment on one of these if they'd just get W800's to the USA.

Sweet,
Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #89
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post

for the first time in like ten years I'm Kawasaki-free and unless they bring the W800 into the states, I'm likely to stay that way for a long time to come. 'Beautiful bike, too bad they won't let us buy it. This would be why I'm liking Honda more all the time (CB1100).
Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #90
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538

1990 Honda GB500. It was retro when it was new.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote