Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
To say you want to come here & "hear people speak in tongues" is not a great way/i.e.,mindset to ingratiate oneself into the culture of the bible belt! I know where that happens but LOL figuring out where that might be.Same with the snake thing.
I actually attend an Assembly of God church, which is the denomination known for speaking in tongues. Mine happens to be pretty tame, as AG churches go, but it is present mostly behind closed doors, and pretty much only in prayer. My pastor interprets it as sort of mumbling your prayer, but God knows what you are saying (for lack of a better explanation).

It is my understanding that it is far more pronounced in the deep south AG churches, and is part of the service. Wherever you find yourself on Sunday, just look one up and attend the morning service. It isn't uncommon to get invited to the potluck afterward either.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I guess I read it differently than some of you.

Sounded like a little bit of light-hearted joking around in the OP.

Sort of like if I was asking about touring Canada and went into a Bob & Doug MacKenzie routine... asking where to find back bacon and Labatt beer.

Rocker59,you are exactly right, it WAS a bit off light-hearted ribbing on my part. I didn't think people would take it quite so seriously. I would like to stay away from the tourist stuff, I have the most fun just rolling into town and hanging out. I am pretty approchable for a variety of reasons ( for those who know me,thats pretty evident!) and always manage to find some interesting people and anventures along the way.

I'm not much of a planner, rather, throw some big paper maps,camp gear,food,and clothes in the side bags and go,with a general idea of where I want to go.

And I HAVE eaten chili out of a hollowed football! While riding in WV many years ago, I arrived pretty late in this small town and was looking for a grocery store to get a bite. I asked some locals where one may be and if it would be open,no and no, but they invited me to share thier dinner/bbq with them,good ol" WV we love our football team food

Thus the chili-in-the-football. I had a great time and met some super friendly folks,and went to bed with a full ( FREE!!) belly.

Now I have to go back to building my igloo ,making some mukluks and preparing some whale blubber for dinner.....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
I guess I read it differently than some of you.

Sounded like a little bit of light-hearted joking around in the OP.

Sort of like if I was asking about touring Canada and went into a Bob & Doug MacKenzie routine... asking where to find back bacon and Labatt beer.

To be very clear I wasn't personally bothered in the least bit then or now but it goes w/o saying that when you make peoples religion-in this case a very, very few people, in the speaking in tongues e.g. , the object of even a light hearted statement, it's dicey territory. It is also a pretty far fetched suggestion to lay out something that "personal" to those few involved religiously as the least bit representative of the south in general Bacon & beer, now that's a huge bit different. Enough said. I'm cool with the trip-lots of other cultural stuff to see for sure.
FWIW,The AG wasn't definitely not the churches I had in mind.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I really enjoy the redneck jokes, and jokes about 'southern people'. So much of it is really good and funny.
But if somebody is really serious about learning about 'The Deep South', they will need to have an open mind.

It's culture, and how people are raised, but it's different in places - not all the same. WV will be different than a place in AL, as will be different from FL to LA.

So, if you're looking for an one-opt see it all, and understand it all kinda trip, you will be out luck.

The impressions you take back home are your own.....

Have fun and ride safely.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
No malice or disrepect was intended from the OP,but,boy,did this go.....south.....in a hurry.

Sorry,couldnt resist.......carry on.....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #21
Nesurfer99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Georgia Motorcycle Mountain Map

I'm new down here (just moved to Jacksonville, FL) and have been looking for places to ride. I came across this website. Thought you might benefit. I ordered the map yesterday, so I can't comment on it.

http://www.info-map.com/cycle/index.htm
Nesurfer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #22
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
indeed that is where some great roads are.

Quote:
There are some mighty fine things to see in the Lower South: Charleston, Savannah, Jekyll Island, St. Augustine, New Orleans, etc. Even some good motorcycle attractions, such as Barber's in Birmingham Alabama.

However, you're likely to find much curvier roads and many fewer people in the Upper South. Probably more likely to find banjo pickin' on the town square and some of those other things you seek, too...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #23
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesurfer99 View Post
I'm new down here (just moved to Jacksonville, FL) and have been looking for places to ride. I came across this website. Thought you might benefit. I ordered the map yesterday, so I can't comment on it.

http://www.info-map.com/cycle/index.htm
I use www.motorcycleroads.us (for free) on some rides. An excellent resource that participation makes even better as roads are added.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #24
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
old time music? Twisty roads? Country food?
Probably not considered the deep south but check out the Crooked Road Music Trail in southwest Virginia. Small towns, friendly people, serious roads to ride without a lot of traffic. Not exactly the panache of Mississippi or Louisiana but fun with lots of rural diners, clean rivers and abundant camping. The BRP is mainly to funnel tourists away from the sights.
Everybody talks funny if you bother to listen.

http://thecrookedroad.org
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I was raised in south Louisiana. To me, thats about as deep as you can get. Someone suggested down through South Carolina and then across the southern states. Thats a great plan. These southern states are like spider webs of state highways and back woods roads. Everyone pretty much knows whats in New Orleans and its definitely worth a visit if you haven't been there, but back in the swamps and woods off the beaten path is where its at in my opinion. Across the southern Gulf area and zig zag back up through all those piney woods areas in the middle and northern parts of these states. Many spots will still take you back in time and the people you'll meet are righteously good folks. Traveling in April and May before kids get out of school and the mosquitos won't cover you like a blanket. If you aren't from there or ever been there its surely a trip you won't forget.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Head to south Alabama and stop on the side of the highway when you see a shack on the side of the road selling boiled peanuts. There ain't nothin' in this world like a real Alabama boiled peanut.
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #27
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,479
Mexico; ten times as much fun as South USA.
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nookie View Post
..... but back in the swamps and woods off the beaten path is where its at in my opinion......
Nookie knows. :) Good post.
If you seek it, it's still there.
Don't be 'fraid....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

go find you some LA Zydeco music...
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #30
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
go find you some LA Zydeco music...
Ugh !

I was born and raised in Louisiana and Zydeco is the worst iteration of "music" I've ever heard. I'm sure this will make someone mad, but its just my opinion. One thing about the south is 150 miles down the road its different, but it's all good.
One thing is certain, the South is diverse. I now live on the Mississippi Coast and its not the same as the central or northern part of the state. The Coast culture that I live in spreads from the Florida panhandle west to about Baton Rouge in a band that's about 30-50 miles deep and about 250 -300 miles long. I think you could culturally divide Louisiana into about five different areas.

acejones screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 04:52 PM
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote