User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #31
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
... I think you could culturally divide Louisiana into about five different areas.
Good post.

Go getcha some.....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #32
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
I don't like it either, just making talk. I just heard "my man", Dave Evans singing - " One loaf of Bread" on the radio a few min ago.I find him to be my fave Bluegrass singer,period. He's from Magoffin Co,KY, lives near me in Morehead,KY. He has written several of his songs. Now thats THE music around my area. Come down to KY & lay into a few bluegrass music barns-there all around me, cheap & live & some have good food(not organic hippie food either) .
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #33
DoubleM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Dauphin Island gulf shores

If you make it down here ride to Dauphin Island and take the ferry across the bay to Gulf shores. Not much on curves but pretty views.
DoubleM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #34
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem View Post
if you make it down here ride to dauphin island and take the ferry across the bay to gulf shores. Not much on curves but pretty views.
++1
Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #35
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleM View Post
If you make it down here ride to Dauphin Island and take the ferry across the bay to Gulf shores. Not much on curves but pretty views.
Is the little fruit stand on the right at the last turn before the island still there? If so that's where you gotta get your peanuts.
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
Come on down to the coast, there's no shortage of fried foods around here. What time of the year are you planning to visit? If you come down during the summer, you're going to be in for a shock with the heat and humidity.

Use this as a guide: http://www.visitmississippi.org/see-...ster-page.aspx
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #37
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
If you really want to experience the "real" of any place, you need to just ride the backroads and visit the small towns and under developed areas. Places like Savannah, Ga , Highlands , NC, and Gatlinburg, Tenn have become caricatures of the "Old South. I travel all over the US and enjoy pulling into a diner in a small town. I was in London, Ontario one time and met a fellow biker who took us around to the out of the way places. That's how you discover the real people and areas. Go to Franklin, NC or Onteonta, Al and take in a country band. Stop in the roadside diner in Mountain Rest, SC on Hwy 28. That to me is discovering what a region is all about. If that's not what you really want, then go to Charleston or Savannah. They, too, have museums to show the past. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will discover something different from what you've known before and get an appreciation of different cultures.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #38
Advntr
Dilbert

Oddometer: 436
I have met some of the nicest people on the planet in the deep south and they all have been quite gracious to a "Yank from NY". They do look at me funny though when we first exchange greetings because they are amazed of where I am at the moment vs where I call home. They all think you are from NYC till you tell them that home is close to Niagara Falls NY and NYC is over 400 miles away. "NY that big????" has been heard more than once.

The "Delta" is a must see and you will have a wonderful stay at the Shack-Up Inn in Clarksdale MS-home of the blues. It's a beer and breakfast kind of place. The "crossroads" is there at the intersection of US 61 and US 49; which is referred to by Eric Clapton and others in music and where blues guitarist Robert Johnson allegedly sold his soul to the devil.

They are very motorcycle friendly at the [historic] shack and will tip a few beers with you and then some. Of all of the hundreds of places I have ever stayed in the USA the "Shack" tops them all. Be sure to visit the Delta Blues Museum.

While waiting out a thunderstorm in Vicksburg MS we [g-f and I] met the retired Sheriff of those parts and a friend of his, who were sitting in the air conditioned mini mart greeting all the locals. It was quite a slice of life that day.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #39
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
If you want to see if you would like Zydeco music for yourself in Louisiana, stop at the Cafe Des Amis is the small town of Breaux Bridge Louisana on Saturday mornings. Killer cajun/creole food, live zydeco while you eat and a big fat Bloody Mary if you need one. Its right off the I-10.

Nookie screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 07:49 AM
Nookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #40
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advntr View Post
.. .It was quite a slice of life that day.
You have a good attitude, yank or not.
It's not about you, it's all about them.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #41
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nookie View Post
If you want to see if you would like Zydeco music for yourself in Louisiana, stop at the Cafe Des Amis is the small town of Breaux Bridge Louisana on Saturday mornings. Killer cajun/creole food, live zydeco while you eat and a big fat Bloody Mary if you need one. Its right off the I-10.
End of the bridge country.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #42
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
I haven't been there since I left January 1971, but my introduction to the southern style of living was Savannah GA. I was a flight instructor at Hunter Army Air Field after my tour. Before my tour I did my advance flight training there too.

I grew up in the San Francisco area. Savannah was such a cultural shock. I had a Honda 450 Scrambler to explore with...and I did. I was taken aback by the little swampy bergs and dirt roads that dominated the area. The easy pace and easy speech. Little Tybee too, with it's massive beach and warm water. I loved River Street with its swamp rock bands. And I loved the women of Armstrong State...Dang!

I've never experienced anything like before or since. Savannah... Go there and tell us how it is today. Heck, maybe I'll go there this spring. Maybe look up an old friend from Armstrong State.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #43
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
..... The easy pace and easy speech.......
Sounds like a James Lee Burke novel in the works...
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #44
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
About 10-12 yrs ago I spent several days on my bicycle doing Savannah & had a great time(it's flat!) while my wife did meetings I would like to hit Paula Deens Rest. there someday. Lots of history in that town. How do you know if your in the deep south-well, down there it may be based on "if" you can understand peoples talk. I went up to this guy on the Savannah waterfront in 1969 while "visiting" Ft. Gordon,GA & he is filling the ship with water, me, I'm looking to find out if its a place to drop my line-he obviously spoke "Gullah" & while friendly I got nothing from the talk!
For us KY folks it's a matter of the OH/KY state line, or crossing the Ohio River to know if your in the south-however it's not the deep south
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #45
Lone Rider

Along the coasts, the spanish moss will tell you you're in-country.
As the sweat runs down your body, and the crickets sing...
A screened porch with a good fan and a cool drink, and it all running around, around you... Oh my...