User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
CaptTeach OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Wicked Just kinda thinkin

I have an XT600 which I like except for a few things For one the suspension is too soft for off road so I have thought about changing that out to WR/YZ stuff. Another thing, on longer trips that big single stirs up a vibration that drives me crazy. SOoooooooooooo What if I started with another frame and put the suspension I want on it and then powered it up with an XS650 engine? It should not be much heavier than the stock XT and a smoother power delivery with the twin. At this point its just a thought - but one that I'm gonna do some serious pondering on

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,917
Having owned three XS 650s I would hardly call them a cure for vibration.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 939
You're trading a low-frequency vibe of the thumper with a buzz from a vertical twin. I've not owned a yamaha 650, but if it's anything like an older Triumph 650, the buzz will numb your feet and hands after a short ride.
spartanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
CaptTeach OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I have both bikes - the XS is being built as a Street Tracker and I really do like my XT for zipping around town, so much so that I ride it more than all the other bikes I have.

I think there is more to gain overall in the overall build - There are tons of hotrod parts for the XS650's such as rephased cranks/cams and big bore kits. Dialing in the amount of power I want should be easy enough. My XT seems to be happier at speeds below 65mph which is really just fine but I do like to have the power to get around something rather quickly vs getting stuck in the wrong lane going around some jerk that speeds up when you pull out to pass. I think the stock XT is just too soft suspension wise for any serious off road play - I tell people that it's a street bike that just looks like a dirt bike.

I have so many projects now that I have no idea if I will even start this one - between customer projects and my personal stuff there is already a few years worth of stuff in the shop. It's just one of those ideas that keeps creeping into my head as I'm working at the shop

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote