Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #121
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Actually, I think the Motocross and Supercross/ArenaCross series were sold to the Coombs family, the folks who run Racer X Magazine. Those series are very well run, very profitable, and look to be going from success to success.
I remembered the Coombs family was involved somehow, just couldn't recall the exact details. I agree, they are doing a great job!
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #122
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,347
Pegram Swaps BMW For Yamaha

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #123
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
FELD Motorsports, part of FELD Entertainment, are the actual promoters of Supercross/Arenacross (among others).

http://www.feldentertainment.com/Productions/
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #124
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

World Superbike No Longer Televised on Speed?

And now WSBK may follow...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/...sbkonspeed.htm
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #125
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
Thank god! Now, maybe they can show more NSSCAR.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #126
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoFar View Post
Thank god! Now, maybe they can show more NSSCAR.
even worse, they are going to show stick and ball shit.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #127
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,347

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #128
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,162
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=73

I have never heard it presented that way, but it is certainly possible.

Bottom line is; I don't know.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #129
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Confirmed: http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Feb/130213kqa.htm

And: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=50822

Echo3Niner screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 08:54 PM
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #130
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
DMG is the promoter of AMA Road Racing. A few years ago the AMA decided they didn't want to run the races anymore, that they wanted an outside production company to do it for them (sound idea, every other big series does the same); however, there was much politicking going on, as there were people ousted from the AMA and other folks that came in and all of a sudden they wanted to change everything; meanwhile, there were several track owners and other "power brokers" who were "in bed" with these new folks at the AMA & DMG - there are several really good articles about it several years ago, I'm sure still available on the webz.

Anyway, DMG are the promoters of NASCAR, and the idea was that they would bring that HUGE audience to AMA road racing; except it never happened. They have monkeyed with the rules, made all kinds of changes, screwed up the schedule, gone to tracks no one likes and are not safe, dropped tracks everyone liked and were safe, and made some really stupid deals with SPEED for TV coverage (their guy actually tried to defend the 11PM showings, saying "that way everyone knows when the races will be on..." No lie).

Then, when Fox made it clear that they were changing the format of SPEED and would not renew the contract, DMG was "caught completely flatfooted" (at least that's the public view) and had no plan B, and took many months to recover and even come up with a plan to try to start looking for a new TV deal...

There was an overhaul at DMG a year or two ago, and some new blood came in; they did at least seem to have a better handle on how to run a series, at least from the rules perspective; but, they have never recovered from the perspective of the schedule, tracks or TV coverage.

And unfortunately, nothing has really changed in the several years this has been going on, it has perpetually gotten worse, yet in my opinion, pockets are getting lined, so they don't care. If my opinion is wrong, then both the new guys running the AMA and the folks at DMG are both COLOSSALLY incompetent, almost criminally so; and yet they sure are making a lot of money and have been awfully successful elsewhere for that to be the case.

Or, they could just be a bunch of spoiled, self-absorbed, prideful to the point of arrogant incompetents, who didn't really have a plan, can't manage their way out of a wet paper bag, and refuse to admit it and ask for help...

But that's just my opinion...
I would not know where to begin to correct all the incorrect statements in this one. It's a great reminder to me to only speak of things I actually understand.
Barry
Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #131
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,656
howya been, barry ?? skipping daytona this year for 1st time since 1997....gonna hafta do dirt track by yourself.

after reading the post by mr E39, i was looking for the jpeg of the guy beating his head against the brick wall....

truest statement was the last line.....and at least he didnt disparage the quality of the racing the last several years.
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>

rxcoop screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 03:35 AM
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #132
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 368
The racing is good in the AMA series, but then so is the racing in WERA and any number of club races around the country. What if anything make the DMG series special or worth traveling to see relative any of the others?

Since the factories are for the most part out of the picture they aren't promoting the series or their paid riders like in years past. So now there are no heros, no promotion, no TV coverage and no audience. Sorta like WERA and the others.

If DMG can't or won't pony up for serious nationwide promotion the situation won't change unless the factories have some incentive to get involved.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #133
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
The racing is good in the AMA series, but then so is the racing in WERA and any number of club races around the country. What if anything make the DMG series special or worth traveling to see relative any of the others?

Since the factories are for the most part out of the picture they aren't promoting the series or their paid riders like in years past. So now there are no heros, no promotion, no TV coverage and no audience. Sorta like WERA and the others.

If DMG can't or won't pony up for serious nationwide promotion the situation won't change unless the factories have some incentive to get involved.
I don't see the factories getting involved, and especially not to bail DMG out, it was their(and ama) man Roger Edmondson that wanted to get rid of factory involvement in the first place.
how to fix it? Wish I knew.
personnally, I'd like to see WSBK rules for ama superbike, manufacturers already have the bikes homologated, and our guys would be able to have wild card rides in a world championship. Expensive? you bet, but it's superbike, they should be expensive, fast, and ridden by the best guys we have. I want to walk through the pits and say "wow" look at these things, amazing. not walk through the pits and say gee, looks just like the ones in the parking lot.
and make the daytona 200 a superbike race again for crying out loud!
Have ONE 600 class, and make it what it should be, a stepping stone to the superbike class, not trying to be the main attraction. should top pros be allowed? sure, but they also HAVE to race superbike, just like most of them did back in the 90's
maybe run a moto3 class for the youngsters, just like the red bull cup from a few years back, great racing and skill building, spec bikes, reduced costs, maybe even do a lease program. hello KTM????
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #134
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
I don't see the factories getting involved, and especially not to bail DMG out, it was their(and ama) man Roger Edmondson that wanted to get rid of factory involvement in the first place.
how to fix it? Wish I knew.
personnally, I'd like to see WSBK rules for ama superbike, manufacturers already have the bikes homologated, and our guys would be able to have wild card rides in a world championship. Expensive? you bet, but it's superbike, they should be expensive, fast, and ridden by the best guys we have. I want to walk through the pits and say "wow" look at these things, amazing. not walk through the pits and say gee, looks just like the ones in the parking lot.
and make the daytona 200 a superbike race again for crying out loud!
Have ONE 600 class, and make it what it should be, a stepping stone to the superbike class, not trying to be the main attraction. should top pros be allowed? sure, but they also HAVE to race superbike, just like most of them did back in the 90's
maybe run a moto3 class for the youngsters, just like the red bull cup from a few years back, great racing and skill building, spec bikes, reduced costs, maybe even do a lease program. hello KTM????

Hahahaha, for not having an idea how to fix it, you sure dished out a couple dozen! But, I'm buying just about everything you're selling, so keep on keeping on.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #135
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,935
Al Jazeera To Broadcast WSBK In the USA?!

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Feb/130219d.htm
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote