User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Phew , my brain is still good.
If you guys are ,as you say , going to stay on pavement I do not see any reason for getting rid of your Ducati Mostro if that is what you have.
By all the road tests I have read on it it is actually decent sort of standard bike and you even say it is "pretty comfortable". You don't need a GS . Your leg discomfort might be simple to cure by a modification in peg or/and seat position if that is possible.
If it is just a question of getting sore after long hours of riding the simple answer is of course to take more breaks , excellent to pracrice that idea if you take the Mexican mountain roads where the bike's handling should really make you smile. It after all should not be just a blitzride for bragging rights to pile on the km ,only stopping for feul .
It would be a crime to just blast through the mountains without stopping for pictures and view -admiring every couple of km , to shuffle through the small towns and stop for a while in the shade of the plaza.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
Steveo. OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Phew , my brain is still good.
If you guys are ,as you say , going to stay on pavement I do not see any reason for getting rid of your Ducati Mostro if that is what you have.
By all the road tests I have read on it it is actually decent sort of standard bike and you even say it is "pretty comfortable". You don't need a GS . Your leg discomfort might be simple to cure by a modification in peg or/and seat position if that is possible.
If it is just a question of getting sore after long hours of riding the simple answer is of course to take more breaks , excellent to pracrice that idea if you take the Mexican mountain roads where the bike's handling should really make you smile. It after all should not be just a blitzride for bragging rights to pile on the km ,only stopping for feul .
It would be a crime to just blast through the mountains without stopping for pictures and view -admiring every couple of km , to shuffle through the small towns and stop for a while in the shade of the plaza.
I think the knee soreness is due to 4 surgeries, and how my leg is tucked back to sit on the pegs. If it was farther forward, I'd be OK but the geometry of the bike won't allow much for changes. I stop often and stretch my legs while riding but I'm not sure it'll be enjoyable for a week of long days in the saddle. I'll try it this summer and see how it goes, but I'll probably pick up a new bike this spring or next.

Here's the current ride. Not exactly a touring machine, but I love the way it rides.

Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Steve
Thats one cool bike but you would be worried about every tope, tumulo,vibradore y reductore de velocidad you came to
I guess you could always just wheelie over the speed bumps!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
Steveo. OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Steve
Thats one cool bike but you would be worried about every tope, tumulo,vibradore y reductore de velocidad you came to
I guess you could always just wheelie over the speed bumps!
I'll have to take your word for it because I have no idea what any of that means.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #20
Lollopollo
Lei mi segue ovunque

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo. View Post
Initially the thought was Cancun as accomodation was simple for us and our families since we are all planning on meeting up there. After some initial route planning, the ride down and back would have been miserable to make it in our allowable time frame, so we switched to the other coast to get better riding and save 1000Km in each direction. This way we get a much better route down and back.

That's the next big decision for me. Ride now I ride a Ducati 796 but it's not the best choice for a long trip, obviously. I've done some longer rides on it but I probably wouldn't take it for something this long. Considering a few bikes, depending on what I do with the Monster. If I keep it, I'll probably grab a Wee-strom for $5-6K and have two bikes, but so far I'm pretty sure I don't like the way those ride. All utility, no fun-factor. Likely I'll sell the Duc in the spring and grab an 800XC or a GS. I've read more negative about the BMW's than the Triumph, but I'm not convinced either way yet. The only one of the three I've ridden is the Wee and at best, I thought it was "adequate". I'll ride it more when the snow melts before I made a final decision though, and I'm not in a huge rush. I love the Monster and am doing a 4000Km trip on it this summer, if it hasn't been replaced by June. If it goes well, I may even consider a windshield and ride it to Mexico in 2014. My main concern is the foot position hurts my knees after a few hours. I actually find the bike pretty comfortable at speed and I've got Kreiga bags for it to carry my gear. We'll see what happens though.

Thanks for the route info. I'm researching all of ot and with my buddies, I'm sure we'll vary the route to see as much as we can. Since we're riding back, we can do different roads in each direction to cover as much as possible. ...Steve
Steve, if you like so much your Ducati, don't look for a GS, but consider a Multistrada. I have heard very good things about it. Very good for paved roads, long journeys. And quite powerful. Windshield will definitely help. The only problem I see in the Multistrada is the price, but that's up to you.

Besides, I have recently moved to Calgary and would love to join you, if your group is open to other bikers? I'm plannig to come only to Phoenix.
Thanks
Lorenzo
Lollopollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #21
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo. View Post
I'll have to take your word for it because I have no idea what any of that means.
speed bumps - they make-em big down there.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #22
Steveo. OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollopollo View Post
Steve, if you like so much your Ducati, don't look for a GS, but consider a Multistrada. I have heard very good things about it. Very good for paved roads, long journeys. And quite powerful. Windshield will definitely help. The only problem I see in the Multistrada is the price, but that's up to you.

Besides, I have recently moved to Calgary and would love to join you, if your group is open to other bikers? I'm plannig to come only to Phoenix.
Thanks
Lorenzo
If I do decide to replace the Ducati I'll probably look for something a little more maintenace friendly and less expensive to maintain. I do like the Multistrada but I'd like something I can get parts for easily at pretty much any shop I get stuck at on the road.

There should be four of us travelling together down there but I don't think adding another guy would be an issue. Exact dates are up in the air though as we're still figuring out a rental house for the weeks we're in Mexico. We're probably going to split cheap hotels in smaller towns on the way down so we can travel light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
speed bumps - they make-em big down there.
I did a little "googling" after he posted to see what he meant. I've spent some time down there and have experienced those bumps, but never on a bike.