User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
KTM 690 or Husky 650 Terra ??

Several years ago I had a DR650, a great bike. Had great hopes that Suzuki was going to upgrade the bike in these last few years but seems no hope, so now I'm looking at the new Terra 650 or the KTM 690.

Terra's gettn great reviews but still a bit early...
Little weary about KTM's reliability

Riding will be 60% road and 40% off road. gravel roads, fire/loging roads and odd adv trip like posibly Alaska or Baja.
Sport bikes and track riding is my thing with very little off road experiance. Not interested in exploring off road limits just leasurly touring/sight seeing but will be floging it in the tarmac twisties.

All opinions and advice will be aprechiated.

Thanks

The lovely 2001. Penske shock, reworked forks, Custom pipe, flatslide carb, cam, high comp piston, moded air box and head work..48 hp at wheel.
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,682
Maybe get another DR? if you are interested in leisurely off road/dirt road touring the 690 is a bit much,money wise and performance wise. The Husky?............too soon to tell,might be good,probably not much aftermarket support yet for big tanks and such. DR can do what ever you need once set up to taste. Ive put 25000 miles on mine with no complaints. You had that last one set up pretty nice.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,756
Get!

The Terra. The KTM will be too hard core for you. Plus the Terra is $3000. cheaper too.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,572
The Terra looks like a cool bike so worth checking out. As for the 690, mine has been very reliable (09 E) and still makes me grin after 3 years of ownership. If you come from a sport bike background you should enjoy the 690's engine....it's a cracker and is made for the type of riding you described.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Maybe get another DR? if you are interested in leisurely off road/dirt road touring the 690 is a bit much,money wise and performance wise. The Husky?............too soon to tell,might be good,probably not much aftermarket support yet for big tanks and such. DR can do what ever you need once set up to taste. Ive put 25000 miles on mine with no complaints. You had that last one set up pretty nice.

Yea had my thaughts of another DR, but couldnt do stock and just dont feel like building things anymore. Besides, I Like the idea of curent components and higher stock power. Looks like this Husky/BMW may prove ferly reliable and so far everyone's pretty impressed with it and the motor in particular.
Thanks for the input..
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
The Terra looks like a cool bike so worth checking out. As for the 690, mine has been very reliable (09 E) and still makes me grin after 3 years of ownership. If you come from a sport bike background you should enjoy the 690's engine....it's a cracker and is made for the type of riding you described.
Whats it like for uper speed stability and distance travel? I know its quite light and has a ferly small tank.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,909
Great comparison by Enduro 360:

http://www.enduro360.com/2012/11/13/products-tested/husqvarna-tr650-ktm-690-enduro-comparison/
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
The Terra. The KTM will be too hard core for you. Plus the Terra is $3000. cheaper too.
Any concrete pricing here out west? Echo cycles in Edmonton didnt have a price yet as of few days ago. They say should know within next 2 weeks.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Good comparo thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Whats it like for uper speed stability and distance travel? I know its quite light and has a ferly small tank.
The 690 will cruise at 120klm/hr all day no worries and is very flickable in the twisties. I get about 17klm/ltr so about 207klms on the 12ltr tank (130miles) but I have the acro map and a powercore 4 exhuast which makes her a bit more thirsty but a bit more responsive too . I also have a safari tank so I get 450klm range.

I've never experienced any stability issues even at maxed out speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I'd concur with the comments on the 690.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,040
I thought the comparo was pretty good too, but regarding the KTM, my '12 is finally losing it's buzzyness at freeway speeds. Mine got smoother every 1000 miles and almost totally smooth at 3500 miles.

I set mine up for mostly street, since I use it for travel. That means comfort, luggage and safety. The bike was very light in front above 75mph, so for safety I installed a steering damper. That took the wobbles out of it in freeway turbulence, but it gets light again above 95mph.

For comfort I added a flyscreen, power outlets for heated gear and electronics, 1 inch Kouba lowering link and finally a much better seat.

For luggage I added Wolfman Expedition, KTM tank and tail bags.

The components of the KTM are very high end and probably the principal reason the motorcycle is so expensive. On the other hand, I doubt I'll ever test it's potential, so if the Terra had been out, I probably would have bought it instead. Not complaining, though...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
That was a good comparison mentioned above. Based on that, weight, forks and brakes would have me lean toward KTM (which I have also).

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
Chilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Hey guys, thanks for the link and comments.

Interesting call between the two bikes. I love the 690 because it just pushes all the right buttons for me. But the Husky is a great value. If I needed to rack up lots of miles and economy was a big part of my buying decision, the 650 scores big.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,668
Apples meet orange.
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Yep, the 690 is smooth & stable at 120+ km/h. I've done a few long days on one with the little accessory windscreen & it was a pleasure - apart from the seat! Budget on replacing or modding that, it's terrible.

Not sure if the longer travel 690R is much different but the 08 690E I spent some time on was an absolute honey of a machine in tarmac twisties, huge fun with power, suspension & brakes light years ahead of a DR650. Plus with it being lighter, slimmer & having a nice low CoG I found it much more capable offroad than a DR.

Not sure on the Terra, the motors have a good rep but they sure pack a lot of pork according to the specs, a good deal heavier than a DR.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote