ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 301
"Not sure on the Terra, the motors have a good rep but they sure pack a lot of pork according to the specs, a good deal heavier than a DR."

Yes this is the disapointing part and one that doesnt make much sense. Technology of decades later you think making it lighter than the DR would be no isue. This bike should be no more than 350lds soaking wet.

Other thing re KTM...I dont understand why they dont make an adventure model based on the 690 platform. I thaught for sure they would have one out within a year or two after they came out. It's been now, what 4 years and nothing yet.

I think I will hold of till spring and test ride both bikes. This might be the smartest move.
Dalmatino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 188
I have been asking myself this question too recently (my 690 was nicked in summer). I am not sure I can bring myself to do another 6-month build of a 690 and I never gelled with the 690 as I did with my 525. I have actually started looking at the BMX X country instead. It has the same engine as the husky but is a lighter bike. Downside is 17/19 wheels but they can always be re-laced. For me, I think either the Terra or the x will be a bit of work if I do try and do a carb conversion on them (as I did with my 690). I recon its a custom inlet, tank and air box as a minimum.
__________________
www.dazedproductions.co.uk
Dazed Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, USA
Oddometer: 5,593
I test rode a 650 Dakar about a year ago and considered getting a 650 Terra last month. The 650 engine was a bit of a snooze for me honestly. Not that it's a bad thing it just didn't have much power. It was exceptionally smooth though for a single and the fueling was spot on.

My 690's engine does vibrate a bit at speed, tons of power (about the same power to weight ratio as my old 950 adventure), but the bike definitely needs work to be made long distance worthy. It's vastly more expensive then the Terra though, but the extra cost buys things that are not easily modified or fixed on the Terra: the engine and overall weight.

I love my choice, but in my opinion they are two bikes at vastly different price points and it's difficult to compare them due to that.
__________________
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
KTM 525 XC-W // KTM 950 Adventure
690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 301
What about the electrical power output on either bike? Like to run Heated grips, decent light and posibly at least one suply for electric clothing. Is there upgrades for the 690 since it's been out for a while?
Dalmatino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
What about the electrical power output on either bike? Like to run Heated grips, decent light and posibly at least one suply for electric clothing. Is there upgrades for the 690 since it's been out for a while?
The husky Terra has a 400 watt output. Plenty of spare there for some electric goodies. Not sure about the KTM
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #21
modeselector
Common as muck
 
modeselector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Washington USA
Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
The husky Terra has a 400 watt output. Plenty of spare there for some electric goodies. Not sure about the KTM
The Terra's 400 has plenty where the KTM is around 230. That said, the 690 has no problem heating my jacket, running GPS, heated grips on high with power to spare for Vision-X LED aux lights - can't immagine I need to run any additional power than that.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Brisvegas, Gods Own Country
Oddometer: 281
What about the Farkles and Mods?

Sure the ktm has been around for a while but somehow I see the Terra as more of a 'blank page' to tweak to my hearts content...

Farkles are still slim pickings but that's changing daily...

With the Terra I've got $2-3k to tweak the bike into something that almost perfectly suits my preferences. Frankly at my age I'm looking for a bit more comfort and flexibility rather tan pure off road performance which I don't think the Terra will ever match the Ktm regardless of how much you spent on it.
Whereas with the Ktm you've already heavily weighted your choice towards a more off road bias- so what are you gonna do?
Make it even more off road superior or 'dumb it down' to a more street friendly choice?

Nah, the Terra wins hands down for me....
__________________
Out of 10,000,000 sperm, YOU! Were the one who WON! So, Do your Mamma Proud.... Go Hard! Or go home.... Cheers, Havagoodone....
Ol'NumNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
modeselector
Common as muck
 
modeselector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Washington USA
Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
With the Terra I've got $2-3k to tweak the bike into something that almost perfectly suits my preferences. Frankly at my age I'm looking for a bit more comfort and flexibility rather tan pure off road performance which I don't think the Terra will ever match the Ktm regardless of how much you spent on it.
Whereas with the Ktm you've already heavily weighted your choice towards a more off road bias- so what are you gonna do?
Make it even more off road superior or 'dumb it down' to a more street friendly choice?
I do like to occasionally jump on the wife's 650 for a spin - fantastic motor and have not had a single issue with it.

The 690 handles the road remarkably well and the overall components are much better out of the box. For anyone coming from the dirt world like a CRF-X, TE, EXC etc.the KTM would be a better choice when the speed picks up or the terrain gets difficult~and of course the weight difference.

If coming from a KLR, DR, GS or street world-IMO the Terra fits that audience well. The Terra should make a very good long distance touring bike with good gravel and some 2-track capabilities.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #24
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
What about the Farkles and Mods?

Sure the ktm has been around for a while but somehow I see the Terra as more of a 'blank page' to tweak to my hearts content...


Whereas with the Ktm you've already heavily weighted your choice towards a more off road bias- so what are you gonna do?
Make it even more off road superior or 'dumb it down' to a more street friendly choice?

Nah, the Terra wins hands down for me....
Yeah, I dumbed mine down to make it more comfortable for touring.

Damper - $600
Seat- $300
Lowering Link- $150
Cut Sidestand- $40
Luggage and racks- $700
Screen- $75
Power outlets- $100
Total to dumb down- $1965

Not complaining, though. My objective was to exchange my 950 twin for something I can ride the same way, yet be able to pick it up out of the mud by myself. So far I've picked the 690 up no problem twice!
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #25
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Yeah, I dumbed mine down to make it more comfortable for touring.

Damper - $600
Seat- $300
Lowering Link- $150
Cut Sidestand- $40
Luggage and racks- $700
Screen- $75
Power outlets- $100
Total to dumb down- $1965

Not complaining, though. My objective was to exchange my 950 twin for something I can ride the same way, yet be able to pick it up out of the mud by myself. So far I've picked the 690 up no problem twice!
The only extra thing I see that you may not need for touring on the Terra is the stering damper.
The diff is in the price but than you get lot more in KTm...
Man this is going to be a hard decision..Logic for my needs says Terra but the performance Junkie in me wnts KTM....Man a Test ride is going to be a must...
Dalmatino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
The only extra thing I see that you may not need for touring on the Terra is the stering damper.
The diff is in the price but than you get lot more in KTm...
Man this is going to be a hard decision..Logic for my needs says Terra but the performance Junkie in me wnts KTM....Man a Test ride is going to be a must...
You bet it will be! I just got back from a little ride. Mild out today at 45. Didn't even need the heat. All I can say is, Dang I love this 690! It is almost totally smooth now. Probably get a little smoother after 4k miles. It runs so well! Seems to have perfect fueling to me. Idle is rock steady, no flat spots anywhere, just a rush of power like no single I've ever ridden. I think it is quite a bit quicker than my old Ducati 750 Monster.

The mods I did are perfect for an old fart like me. Set up like a KLR, but 100lbs lighter with near twice the power and it's friendly power too. Low enough to have no issues in parking lots and so handy in the city. Jeepers, what a motorcycle. She's so hot...



__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
You bet it will be! I just got back from a little ride. Mild out today at 45. Didn't even need the heat. All I can say is, Dang I love this 690! It is almost totally smooth now. Probably get a little smoother after 4k miles. It runs so well! Seems to have perfect fueling to me. Idle is rock steady, no flat spots anywhere, just a rush of power like no single I've ever ridden. I think it is quite a bit quicker than my old Ducati 750 Monster.

The mods I did are perfect for an old fart like me. Set up like a KLR, but 100lbs lighter with near twice the power and it's friendly power too. Low enough to have no issues in parking lots and so handy in the city. Jeepers, what a motorcycle. She's so hot...




Looks mighty nice
Dalmatino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #28
pfy50
Professional nOOb
 
pfy50's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Oneida, Tenn.
Oddometer: 460
Terra do up

If Y'all want a little more info on the Husky Terra check Big Dog's page out he has one done up for touring already http://www.bigdogadventures.com/1HuskyTR650.htm
__________________
My Odyssey: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875
2013 TEX XC,2011 WR250R,2004 KAWA Concours,1994 BMW K1100RS
May the Lord bless you and keep you in all the Dark places you must travel
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,152
dalmatino, see if you can get a test ride on the 690 (and ideally on the terra too). from what you say i think you'd be far better off with the terra. but guys seem to love or hate the 690... unfortunately i was in the latter group and sold mine after two months. but i can see if spend some money on them they can be comfortable bikes to ride.

it's a pity the terra wasn't a lighter bike but for the riding you describe it shouldn't matter, and actually make it more comfortable on road trips anyway.
__________________
Sure we trials riders have smaller knobs but we know how to use them - get into trials here
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #30
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer
 
Wallachian Spikes's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
"Not sure on the Terra, the motors have a good rep but they sure pack a lot of pork according to the specs, a good deal heavier than a DR."

Yes this is the disapointing part and one that doesnt make much sense. Technology of decades later you think making it lighter than the DR would be no isue. This bike should be no more than 350lds soaking wet.

Other thing re KTM...I dont understand why they dont make an adventure model based on the 690 platform. I thaught for sure they would have one out within a year or two after they came out. It's been now, what 4 years and nothing yet.

I think I will hold of till spring and test ride both bikes. This might be the smartest move.
The Terra was designed with the KLR 650 in it's sights, NOT the KTM 690. The Terra is still a bit lighter than a second gen KLR & on paper it seems like it will be far better than the KLR. The Terra is probably going to be hard to beat as a "street oriented" dual sport that can still get you deep into the woods.

Personally (you may disagree) I consider the KLR a better street bike (not by much) than the DR 650 & the DR a better dirt bike (not by much) than the KLR. I'd love to see a hard core comparison in cycle world or motorcyclist magazine putting the KLR, DR, Terra & the 690 through a 1,000 mile test in all aspects of terain.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014