User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
laughatmyvanagon111 OP
Wet Side of the Mountains

Oddometer: 218
Buy a bike in Europe to ride?

Ok, I searched the threads and did not see any answers to my questions.

If there are any threads out there that would help me out, please guide me to them. Not trying to repost anything or waste anyone's time.

Here's the deal. When I got married four years ago my wife and I decided we would take our honeymoon in Europe. Well, it never happened due to multiple reasons. We ended up separated this past summer.
But, I still want my trip to Europe and being as I'm a bike nut I want to do it riding.

I"ve already completed some preliminary research and I've ruled our Eurorail, renting a car, buying a car then selling it, etc. I want to ride, no way around it and for the obvious reasons. I also prefer to ride this trip solo. I'm not looking for a tour group kind of thing since I want the freedom to take my time and do what I want, when I want. I want to change my plans whenever I feel like it. Lodgings are going to be camping and hostels. Food will be kept cheap.

I've almost ruled out shipping my own bike out there due mostly to cost. Plus I ride a GSXR and I would rather ride something slightly more comfortable. I think it would be more cost effective to buy an older, used, reliable bike and then sell it at the end of the trip.

I guess these questions are more directed to those that have maybe done something like this before.

1) Is it even worth considering buying a bike and then selling it at the end of the trip? Does anyone have experience doing this?

2) Is it more worthwhile and cost effective to just rent one with some kind of unlimited travel throughout Europe including possibly Turkey and Slovenia?

3) Anyone know the licensing requirements I would need? Insurance requirements?

I'm a little ways off from making this trip so I'm just at the very early preliminary stages of planning and budgeting. I would appreciate anyone's wisdom and advice.

DantesDame screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 06:13 PM Reason: title wrong
laughatmyvanagon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
syaufu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Renting versus shipping depends alot on how long you will be gone..can ship round trip for about $2000 round trip ..rent is any where from $100/day for small cheaper bike to $200 /day or more for big sport bike..so do the math ..buying and selling works but has a fair degree of complexity to it..keep it simple and ship and go for along time..bj
syaufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
backyard babies
Backyard babies

Oddometer: 18
sell and buy back options

Hi
I will get back to you today with more info.
I do it sometimes with US and aussie riders
It's from France if you dont mind

bye
laurent
backyard babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Thumb buy a bike in Ireland

Contact Wheatwhacker on this forum. He helped me buy a bike in Ireland.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,902
How easy is this.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846260

Buy his bike, I'll take care of the transfer of ownership and I'll store it till you arrive.
Easy
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Thumb yep - it takes an expert

+1 on Wheatwhacker
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Another possibility is Stefan Knopf's site. He sometimes sells bikes for his customers. Generally speaking, these are usually US registered vehicles that are in-country on Tourist Status. You'd need to be able to register the bike in your home state.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
laughatmyvanagon111 OP
Wet Side of the Mountains

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
How easy is this.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846260

Buy his bike, I'll take care of the transfer of ownership and I'll store it till you arrive.
Easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
+1 on Wheatwhacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Another possibility is Stefan Knopf's site. He sometimes sells bikes for his customers. Generally speaking, these are usually US registered vehicles that are in-country on Tourist Status. You'd need to be able to register the bike in your home state.

Thank you all for the info. Right now I'm in the very early stages of planning. Just trying to get some ideas so I can budget accordingly.

I appreciate the comments though.
laughatmyvanagon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I think the biggest problem will be that you will most likely need a permanent residence (or at least a "dummy adress of one) to register a vehicle. Now I can talk only about Sweden: as soon as you move to Sweden (or of course if you are born here) you receive a personal identification number (personnummer) which is used to identify you for all kinds of official acts. Vice versa: if you don't have a personnummer in Sweden, you are basically non-existent!

At the other hand some things then get really easy: walk into a dealership, sign the contract, pay for the bike. The dealer will register it online with the authorities using your personnummer and inform an insurance company of your choice that you have bought a bike and need coverage. You can ride the bike home and use it right away! Some days later you will receive the proof of ownership certificate in your mailbox together with a little tax bill and a bill from the insurance company. Pay and be happy!

So the one thing for you to figure out is: can you register a bike without a permanent residence? Maybe you can find someone to "borrow" an adress from? What coutry(s) are you interested in?

I have the same problem vice versa: I want to buy a bike next year in Canada and can use the adress of German friend who emmigratet there some years ago. Now I need to find insurance.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicbiker View Post
I think the biggest problem will be that you will most likely need a permanent residence (or at least a "dummy adress of one) to register a vehicle. Now I can talk only about Sweden: as soon as you move to Sweden (or of course if you are born here) you receive a personal identification number (personnummer) which is used to identify you for all kinds of official acts. Vice versa: if you don't have a personnummer in Sweden, you are basically non-existent!

At the other hand some things then get really easy: walk into a dealership, sign the contract, pay for the bike. The dealer will register it online with the authorities using your personnummer and inform an insurance company of your choice that you have bought a bike and need coverage. You can ride the bike home and use it right away! Some days later you will receive the proof of ownership certificate in your mailbox together with a little tax bill and a bill from the insurance company. Pay and be happy!

So the one thing for you to figure out is: can you register a bike without a permanent residence? Maybe you can find someone to "borrow" an adress from? What coutry(s) are you interested in?

I have the same problem vice versa: I want to buy a bike next year in Canada and can use the adress of German friend who emmigratet there some years ago. Now I need to find insurance.
You will pay a lot more in Canada for a bike than the USA.
You should consider "borrowing" an address in California and doing it there.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
Riceburner63
Starting Over

Oddometer: 20
+1 If you have the choice, buy and insure in the US and ride it up here.
Riceburner63 is offline   Reply With Quote