User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #31
marlboroughlad OP
crash bang wallop

Oddometer: 1,166
Well, cheers for the replies.

I was thinking about the 4WD thing too, they get big tanks put in as well.

I'm not that concerned about roadworthy's etc. Easy enough to swap the original tank back if I have to. No one has said anything about cops issuing tickets so that seems to be a non issue as well. No big deal. More concerned with a cracked or split tank in a prang and the fire damage.

Would prefer not getting into a shit fight with the insurance company who wants me to show the little black ball of shrivelled up plastic was fit for purpose.

If there are no ADR compliance/standards/testing etc for tanks as rmhrc628 says, then thats pretty much the end of it I guess. Anyway, see what the maker comes back with.
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #32
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroughlad View Post
Would prefer not getting into a shit fight with the insurance company who wants me to show the little black ball of shrivelled up plastic was fit for purpose.

List the modification on the Insurance Schedule under modifications.
If they don't like it they don't write the policy and you find an insurer who will cover the risk.

Shannons are one, there will be others, all it takes is a phone call and posibly an emailed photo of the modification.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
[QUOTE=searchin oz;20188497]I'm not aware of any regulations regarding altering fuel tanks on vehicles.
We fit big petrol tanks in 4wds every second day at work. To the best of my knowledge that is legal. If I can put 360 litres worth of fuel tank in my cruiser surely a 28 litre tank on my DRZ is ok??

Pretty sure in QLD if you install a long range tank in a motor vehicle (as in a long range fuel tank to a 4wd etc) that it has to be blue plated (modification certification plate) to comply if the fuel tank is connected to the fuel system. Think the modification code is LM1. This applies to light vehicles and by definition a motorcycle may be classed as a light vehicle.

galbo950 screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 10:45 AM
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #34
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,726
If you run a safari tank, check your fuel lines regularly and replace every 18 months or so. The original lines supplied with my tank had a definite seam along the length of them and split along this seam. The rubber? had also hardened over time. The bike had been sitting for a couple of months. I turned the fuel taps on and it was like a soaker hose.

More of a concern than the safari tank itself which has taken its fair share of knocks without a problem.

SJ
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #35
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:

More concerned with a cracked or split tank in a prang and the fire damage.

If there are no ADR compliance/standards/testing etc for tanks as rmhrc628 says, then thats pretty much the end of it I guess. Anyway, see what the maker comes back with.

Lc8ty would be the one to ask about this, from memory he didn't have any issues with his insurance claim.
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #36
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Lc8ty would be the one to ask about this, from memory he didn't have any issues with his insurance claim.
No one would of known what was or wasnt on that by the time the smoke cleared

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #37
KTMatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
According to Robyn at Safari Tanks the only regs for fuel tanks is the material its made of.
So Alloy and steel are fine and the plastic has to be of a fuel safe type and so long as the tank has to be fit for purpose your fine.
In the event of a crash they would have to prove the tank caused the crash.

Cheers Matt
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #38
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John View Post
If you run a safari tank, check your fuel lines regularly and replace every 18 months or so. The original lines supplied with my tank had a definite seam along the length of them and split along this seam. The rubber? had also hardened over time. The bike had been sitting for a couple of months. I turned the fuel taps on and it was like a soaker hose. SJ

The fuel line supplied with Nomad tanks is first class; similar in colour to the purple Hyperpro shock spring, it is difficult to cut. Worth re-doing any fuel line with this stuff.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #39
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,860
Question

Quote:

The issue came up down at my local bike shop, while getting a roadworthy for one of the other bikes. He reckons unless it has an ADR compliance stamp or similar, it could be an issue.
I've never seen an ADR stamp on OEM fuel tank? Then again, I've never looked that hard for one either.
Is there such a thing? Is it under the tank? Therefore he'd have to remove the tank to inspect the stamp? It'd be interesting for some of the newer bikes with the tank under the seat or hidden behind panels.
Would this mean you guy at the local shop would never have issued a roadworthy for any bike?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #40
marlboroughlad OP
crash bang wallop

Oddometer: 1,166
Thanks KTMatt

Just off the phone to Swann Insurance. I declared a few extra mods incl. the tank. Asked a few questions about it, made it clear that it was an aftermarket item and they had no problems at all with it.

Its going on the policy schedule and its all good apparently.

Sounds like my local bike shop hasn't dealt with this sort of thing before and just wasn't sure.
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #41
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,360
There's a simple solution - don't buy insurance. I stopped insuring my XR years ago, and have saved more than the value of the bike since.

I only insure big ticket items, like a BMW GS or something that is worth over 5 grand or so. The rest can get f*cked, if I trash it then so be it.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #42
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
There are plenty of big ticket objects out there on and near roads that you could convincingly damage with just a postie bike. Have you considered third party property insurance?
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #43
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
There are plenty of big ticket objects out there on and near roads that you could convincingly damage with just a postie bike. Have you considered third party property insurance?
You would have to have it with a postie bike. They're a bit slow for hit and run.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #44
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 469
My Nomad tanks (two of them) both have "off road use only" moulded into the plastic. Is that liability on their behalf, or something ADR-related?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #45
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
+1
Also, there doesn't even need to be an actual collision for you to be held responsible for damage to another persons property.