User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Oddometer: 816
Talamina

Been interested in a camping trip to Quachita Ntl. Forrest and Talamina Scenic Byway. Alsp would like to ride Hwy 7 up to Mo. Feel the need to meet Sasquatch before I die. Looks like some great remote campgrounds in the area. Anyone have some advice or pointers about where to camp and what areas to ride? Will be riding the 955 Tiger with camping gear.

Thanks
warriorcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
travelsomewhere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Depending on where you are coming from the Ponca are is great around the buffalo river, then as you head south on 7 take a small detour and camp at Long pool recreational area, great camp spot that you can grab a shower.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsomewhere View Post
Depending on where you are coming from the Ponca are is great around the buffalo river, then as you head south on 7 take a small detour and camp at Long pool recreational area, great camp spot that you can grab a shower.
Yeah, I have ridden the Buffalo area and around Eurika Springs an Mo. several times and it is wonderful but looking for something new and different. Will be taking the shortest route from Alabama and will be avoiding Memphis at all cost. so going to concentrate one the Quachita area if possible as I will likely only have a week. I may teke 7 North for a day but will base camp near Mena or in OK as I have never been there.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
We do a float trip on the Buffalo every year for a week. There are some nice roads around there.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Jasper area has good riding and camping.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
augerdin
I do my own crashing

Oddometer: 88
Warriorcole, I rode the Talimena on my ride-about last summer. I left Hot springs in the morning and took some delightful backroads (of which there are many in Arkansas) and went up thru Caddo gap and in one of the little towns along the way, on hwy 8 between Glenwood and Mena, I stopped for breakfast at a great place called The Bisquit Barn. It really is one of those places that make your day. The couple, Toby and Rebecca Brewer, that run it are very cool. She cooks and he does everything else. I spent about an hour and a half there talking with them about bikes and flying. Oh and the Talimena was a good ride. Kind of a run down poorer and shorter Blue Ridge Parkway. Have fun.
augerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerdin View Post
Warriorcole, I rode the Talimena on my ride-about last summer. I left Hot springs in the morning and took some delightful backroads (of which there are many in Arkansas) and went up thru Caddo gap and in one of the little towns along the way, on hwy 8 between Glenwood and Mena, I stopped for breakfast at a great place called The Bisquit Barn. It really is one of those places that make your day. The couple, Toby and Rebecca Brewer, that run it are very cool. She cooks and he does everything else. I spent about an hour and a half there talking with them about bikes and flying. Oh and the Talimena was a good ride. Kind of a run down poorer and shorter Blue Ridge Parkway. Have fun.
Thanks for the info. Poorer sounds good to me. Sounds like West Virginia for sure. I am looking for a raw and different experience. Looks like there are some far off the main road campgrounds to suit me there.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:

I have camped near Fiftysix Ar before and really liked it. Seems like I have passed Long pool on my travels as well.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 AM   #9
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Bard Springs campground is looking pretty cool.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
motolorenzo
PRO DUST MAKER

Oddometer: 120
Talimena

A Big Aloha to ya. I was over in the Mena, Poteau area last Oct.. My Cousin lives about 10 miles from Ft. Smith so we went riding the Talimena and some other nice areas while I was there. I was on my VFR this time. My Great Grandfather (William Shelton) started Mena, Arkansas and built his Log Cabin in 1851. It is the center piece in the 4 block public park in old town Mena. I have ridden the Talimena parkway a few times back thru the years in both directions. Its a very nice ride weather dependent as anywhere is of course. Another one called "The Pig Trail" which is Arkansas Highway #23 N. of the Talimena is a cool ride. Its a short "Tail of the Dragon" but lots of fun on the gas and gettin close to the chicken strips. If you are goin that way to Mo. take it. Just Google Arkansas Highway 23, lots of info and Motorcycle Videos available. I'm Arizona born and raised but as a kid when my Dad was alive we would get back to that part of the country every summer for a visit. Well thats my 2 centavos, have a great time. Renzo in Kau, Big Island, Hawaii

motolorenzo screwed with this post 04-19-2014 at 10:26 AM
motolorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Pick a road, any road...

The Mena area has lots of good roads. I spend more time in the Ozarks than down south, but have ridden most of those roads. 8 East out of Mena is great, so is 246 to 84. 27 is a good road to run north on.

You mentioned 7 to Missouri, which is a good road, but more "main path", 27 North will get you in some good riding. You could take 27 north to 10 West, in Havana take 309 over Mt. Magazine to Paris, then cross the river on 23 or further east on 109 at Morrison Bluff. 23 as mentioned is a good road with lots of twisties, camping at Redding Campground, etc.

Or if you cross on 109, go thru Clarksville and take 164 to 123 to 7. 123 is one of my favorite roads, I somehow try to work it in every time I go east.
Once you get to 7 you can go north a little bit and catch it again into Mt. Judea. Or you could run 16 east from there. I think Ben Hur was the last place in Arkansas to get electricity. My granddad used to say they had to pipe in sunlight it was so far back in the boonies.
LONG DONGER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #12
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Excellent guys. That is what I am looking for although I am a bit worried about taking directions in the boonies from someone named Longdonger. :) Kind of makes me think of Deliverance.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Trust me!

"Butt" if you go by Mountain View, you very well may hear banjos playing.

How's your teeth look?They shure look purty?
LONG DONGER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
warriorcole OP
n00b sch00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG DONGER View Post
Trust me!

"Butt" if you go by Mountain View, you very well may hear banjos playing.

How's your teeth look?They shure look purty?
My teeth are fine, I'll take them out and show you.

Been to Mountain View a few times. Actually like the town and the area. By chance ended up at the annual Bean festival one year. Didn't get to meet the Bean Queen though. Camped a few nights nead Fiftysix and enjoy camping on the Lower Buffalo. PS: I bring my own banjo.