ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,249
The Wave, up on the Az. Strip

Who has ridden to it?

Did you need a BLM pass?

How did you get there? Drop in from Utah's 89, or go North from the Az's 89?

S.C.
scottcolbath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 2,938
I've been past it, going to and from Lee's Ferry. You need a permit to get out to it and hike it. Permit process is a lottery. Lots of information on the web about it.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
It is about a 3 mile hike in and you must have the permit as they do patrol the trail. (it is a day specific use permit, not a BLM deal.)

I think they only allow about 20 people in there per day and it is very difficult to obtain the permit due to demand. We got there when the ranger station opened for the day and there were about 60 peeps already there, most of them from Europe. They had 3 openings for the day and I won the little lottery. Lots of upset Euros! Some had been trying to get in for over a week.

The other way to get a permit is online, but they sell out fast when they become available.

Here is one section of The Wave

Surfin' the wave

Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,121
I have been there twice. Once in the snow. Beautiful! Both times it was mid week and we got leftover passes from the ranger station in Kanab. If you already have your pass go in from the south (89a). From Kanab it's quicker to go in from the north (89).

I'm assuming you want to use your 640. Neither way is 'Busa friendly. Both ways also suck if it rains. Nasty slick sticky clay.

The walk in is more beautiful than the wave itself.

-dod
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I really want to do this... When you score a ticket how many people can u take with u in your group?? Or is it one person per ticket??
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,249
OK, so this would be an over-nighter and be based around the date we are able to obtain permits.

This would probably be a good thing for April or may, yes?

S.C.
scottcolbath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 283
Except for the above comment about slick mud, April May is great, Prime season. It is really something to behold when wet. It is rideable, but be prepared to hit the ground more than once. Good camping further to the South.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
OK, so this would be an over-nighter and be based around the date we are able to obtain permits.

This would probably be a good thing for April or may, yes?

S.C.
Any time except summer would be fine. Seeing it with snow on the ground was spectacular. I'm not joking about the mud. The soil in that region has little sand and something extra to make it slick. In the winter there is great camping along the canyon. In warm weather just go up the hill towards Jacob Lake.

-dod
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider.... View Post
I really want to do this... When you score a ticket how many people can u take with u in your group?? Or is it one person per ticket??
Go here: http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsma...te_buttes.html

Only 20 people per day are allowed in. 10 of those permits are given out ahead of time in an on-line lottery (I've tried that twice with no luck), and the other 10 are given out at 9 AM on the day before the hike, at the ranger station, in a lottery.The first day we tried, there were 57 people; the second day, there were 33, and we got one! I think we went mid-week in September. Each person in your party would take up one spot. Say you had 3 people, and when they drew your number, 8 spots had already been taken; then only 2 of your peeps could go.This is at the Paria ranger station; not the one in Kanab. It is a little station on Utah 89 a few miles east of House Rock Valley Road, which is the road to the trailhead. (I just looked on the website, and it says go to the station in Kanab. This may vary depending on time of year, apparently). You can also get to the trailhead from the south, from AZ alt 89. It is quite a bit longer that way, but an easier route if you're pulling a trailer.

What you need to do is camp nearby and have rides/hikes planned for the days you don't get in. We camped at State Line campground (primitive, and small campground, but it was EMPTY!) and had a scenic, 15 mile ride each way on a primitive dirt road to get to the ranger station. There is another hike from the same trailhead as the Wave, and it does not require a permit. It's called Buckskin Gulch, I think. It's supposed to be scenic. We didn't go there since we spent our waiting time riding on the bajillion miles of BLM dirt roads in the area. If you don't mind some pavement, you can even go to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. There are also a lot of nice forest roads in the area of the north rim. The roads are all pretty mellow; the views are the thing. And, just being out in the empty land/forests.

Our campsite:

The hike in is real pretty:

The Wave itself isn't very big, but is very cool. There is supposed to be another one nearby, but you have to find it yourself, with out any directions from the BLM.

If you go, take an extra camera battery, and a big card.....

redninja screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 09:11 PM
redninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
A couple of friends of mine went there a few years ago. They hired a guide and didn't have to deal with the lottery-pass business. That's all I know.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote