Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,670
If availability of the outgoing models is an issue, check the Apple website for deals on factory refurbished units. A friend just bought the 27" iMac a month ago and I helped her set it up and transfer all of her PC files on to it. It looked exactly like a new computer. If she hadn't told me it was a refurb, I would have had no idea as it was no different from mine that I unboxed and set up almost a year ago.

+1 on the Applecare warranty and +1 on buying the One to One training if you have an Apple store nearby and are not already Mac saavy.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,073
We also get most of our stuff from the Apple refurb store, but picked up a 24" iMac and iPad from Best Buy when they had a small sale.

And I am in the minority......we've never spent a dime on AppleCare in 15 years. Maybe if we had a laptop, but all the phones and computers we've had have been trouble-free.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,434
Best Buy doesn't advertise this, but they will honor their internet price in the store if asked. Saved me a ton of money on a GPS unit recently and I was able exchange it at the store when I had a problem.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,023
iMac27

Just got me one, iMac 27. This is my second sip, gulp, of the cool-aid. Iphone was the first. Also my first desk top. Three previous laptops, IBM Dell Gateway, lasted me about 7 years each. Got it sitting on an end table next to the recliner. Aaaah life is good. Hope this big f'er lasts for a while. Was thinking of getting the 21 and probably would have, but Best buy was out of stock. The 27 is the perfect size for arms length viewing. There is no text sizing, but you can zoom.

gotta learn to speak Mac now
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #20
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Just got me one, iMac 27. This is my second sip, gulp, of the cool-aid. Iphone was the first. Also my first desk top. Three previous laptops, IBM Dell Gateway, lasted me about 7 years each. Got it sitting on an end table next to the recliner. Aaaah life is good. Hope this big f'er lasts for a while. Was thinking of getting the 21 and probably would have, but Best buy was out of stock. The 27 is the perfect size for arms length viewing. There is no text sizing, but you can zoom.

gotta learn to speak Mac now
Congratulations on the IMac 27. I bought an IMac24 about three years ago, absolutely trouble free. The learning curve was a little tough at my old age, but now, if this IMac were to blow up today, then would run out and buy another in a heartbeat. You'll grow to love that IMac, no doubt!!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)

gec343 screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 03:31 PM
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #21
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
Congratulations on the IMac 27. I bought an IMac24 about three years ago, absolutely trouble free. The learning curve was a little tough at my old age, but now, if this IMac were to blow up today, then would run out and buy another in a heartbeat. You'll grow to love that IMac, no doubt!!
Bought our first 12" ppc in 2005. New. Dumb. Then two more older 15" ppc used off cl. Then a mini intel. Now a hackintosh quad core with 8gb of ram.

I get emails from the guy I sold the 12" to now and then, links to photos/videos/whatever. It still works fine after having dropped off a 5' window sill, and water poured on the keyboard (same day, son was born wahoooooo).

This is how computing should be.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,023
Mac Attack

1984 I get a phone call from my brother, "wanna go to SF for a few days, all expenses paid?" How could I say no! I was living in 'Fresno at the time and he was in San
Diego, so our traveling expenses wee a tank of gas.
At the time My bro Lance AKA "themobb" was unbeknownst to me was the proud owner of something he called an Apple Computer. The only caveat to the offer was that I had to present myself as a Mac guru in the art of using the Mac for music.
Lance was in a MUG (Machintosh User Group) subgroup SIG (Special Interest Group) that used the Mac for all things music. He said if anyone should ask me about using the Mac I should reply "double click". I was on my was to SF.
We arrive at the convention center, get to the booth, are introduced to our personal guide to all the functions/entertainment that will be happening, a dude. So the show must go on. Frankly I do not remember meeting the big guy or hearing him speak. It was a convention and I had been to lots of conventions before (marketing rep for GE). No big deal?
Around the hall were lots of SIG types hyping their apps. Lots of cool visuals. Data apps I cared nothing about. They did have a roulette wheel with a long line. About every 15 minutes someone would win a trip to Hawaii. That was impressive. I think it was a rigged wheel!
Oh, did I mention the party? Later. One night our guide took us out on the town. Apparently a new bar had just opened. Rumor had it that Boz Skags was the owner. So off we went. There was a line around the block. No problem, our man took us to the head of the line, flashed a card, in we go. The man had juice.
The Party was held in a building which I can only describe. An architect would have a better word. Square, many stories tall, all floors having a view down to the ground floor...atrium...hall? Anyway there was an all girl band in white polka dot dresses. They were HOT and rocking. Drinks were flowing as were appetizers and deserts. I had my first experience with a white chocolate swan filled with assorted berries.
Those were the high points. Money was being made by Apple to have such an extravagant.
I've finally had a chance to repay Jobs for the party. To bad he can't cash the check.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #23
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Once you have Mac theres no going back.

I have to deal with windows crap at work everyday. If we were on a different platform, the IT dept would be half the size it is no.
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 803
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
this is what i am going through right now. I hope it lasts until my wife can get back to the states to get it repaired.
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow10 View Post
Once you have Mac theres no going back.

I have to deal with windows crap at work everyday. If we were on a different platform, the IT dept would be half the size it is no.

I've had Windows 7 on 3 machines so far and adding up their years of running gets to ~6 years now. Only one issue with any of them and that was in the BIOS not the OS.

When I ran a Mac computer lab I would print this guy out:

And have to tape it over a monitor usually twice a month, and this is out of ~25 mac pro's.

There's also a ton of Mac VS PC shit with my family, I snapped a pic after breakfast while I was down there:

That's 4 Macbook Pro's, an iPad, and my Dell refurb which cost less than the iPad and is more powerful than all but one of those Macbooks and even then the differences are pretty small except for the 768 GB SSD but it did cost over 8 times what mine did.

Maybe it's because I jumped between PC and Mac every day for years but I can do it without any issues. I liked OSX a bit more than XP due to its GUI but since Windows 7 came out I don't see much of a reason for me to go for a Mac.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post

I've had Windows 7 on 3 machines so far and adding up their years of running gets to ~6 years now. Only one issue with any of them and that was in the BIOS not the OS.

When I ran a Mac computer lab I would print this guy out:

And have to tape it over a monitor usually twice a month, and this is out of ~25 mac pro's.

There's also a ton of Mac VS PC shit with my family, I snapped a pic after breakfast while I was down there:

That's 4 Macbook Pro's, an iPad, and my Dell refurb which cost less than the iPad and is more powerful than all but one of those Macbooks and even then the differences are pretty small except for the 768 GB SSD but it did cost over 8 times what mine did.

Maybe it's because I jumped between PC and Mac every day for years but I can do it without any issues. I liked OSX a bit more than XP due to its GUI but since Windows 7 came out I don't see much of a reason for me to go for a Mac.
Just to clarify, I'm talking MAC v's windows, not PC's as other operating systems can be used.

I guess a lot comes down to environment and intended purpose. I have worked in media for years and the only reliable machines are those that are purpose built, or MAC's, depending on the application. Any point where windows is introduced is a bucket of ongoing, recurring problems. Even if a windows machine is there as a control device, its always the first point of failure, or crash.

I do a fair bit of stuff at home and Mac's have always been reliable.
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #27
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow10 View Post
Just to clarify, I'm talking MAC v's windows, not PC's as other operating systems can be used.

I guess a lot comes down to environment and intended purpose. I have worked in media for years and the only reliable machines are those that are purpose built, or MAC's, depending on the application. Any point where windows is introduced is a bucket of ongoing, recurring problems. Even if a windows machine is there as a control device, its always the first point of failure, or crash.

I do a fair bit of stuff at home and Mac's have always been reliable.
Well yeah, mine dual boots into Ubuntu as well and it was pretty painless for once (this laptop is certified to run it which is a new thing they have going on) but generally unless people just need office apps, and a browser I steer them away from Linux.

I use a Dell Workstation and haven't had any issues with it for my media purposes....but being a broad phrase I'm guessing they're a little different. I'm doing photos, animations, design, and a tiny bit of video.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
check the Apple website for deals on factory refurbished units. A friend just bought the 27" iMac a month ago and I helped her set it up and transfer all of her PC files on to it. It looked exactly like a new computer. If she hadn't told me it was a refurb, I would have had no idea as it was no different from mine that I unboxed and set up almost a year ago.

+1 on the Applecare warranty and +1 on buying the One to One training if you have an Apple store nearby and are not already Mac saavy.
Excellent advice. The refurbs are great values.
Apple Care is a must and one to one training is very helpful.

Max out your memory, but not form Apple.
And your best speed up will be to swap out the HD for an SSD.
Huge increase in performance.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #29
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post

Max out your memory, but not form Apple.
And your best speed up will be to swap out the HD for an SSD.
Huge increase in performance.
That's becoming harder and harder as they are increasingly making that non-upgradable. The smaller iMac now isn't even an easy upgrade. You have to completely disassemble the thing. It seems to be a common trend for PC makers, I was going to upgrade my HD which is the weak link on my Laptop and it turns out the thing is buried in here so you need to take it apart to get to it.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #30
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
I keep hearing this and it bothers me to no end. Why must I pay $150 extra for hardware support on a $500 device? (I bought my wife a new Mac Mini in November.) I didn't do it, so we'll see if that was a mistake or not.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: