Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #46
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Another Another vote for the Connie C-10. Mine is long gone, but missed.....Cee Bailey vented shield, Corbin seat, lowering link...by far the most comfy bike I have ridden and I have been riding since 1953.

"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"

creaky screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 05:37 PM
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #47
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
For me, my #1 top most awesome and comfortable bike, will always be my 1982 CX500Turbo. It was tailor made just for me, using my exact measurements, apparently.
I was going to put that one in myself. Out of around 60 bikes over 40 years or so, the Turbo was the absolute winner. The fairing is the only one I've ever had that was perfect out of the box. I sold the bike years ago but it is still running and I see it on the road every now and again. I also saw my old CBX1000 on the road the other day.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #48
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by stfmkr View Post

2010 BMW R1200GSA , super comfy to go anywhere you can keep it upright (eisen schwein) especially comfy 2up.
Absolute best allround bike I ever had was the first BMW R80GS with flat drag bars with 3" extensions. I really miss that one, it wasn't any good 2up but great solo.
Those of you voting for the GSA... Have you ridden traditional touring bikes as well? I really want one, but it doesn't "look" as comfy as, say an ElectraGlide, or a K1600GTL to me...
sarhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #49
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
This is my most comfortable bike

I hope that the new version next year will be as comfortable

Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #50
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseXL View Post
R1200GS I must say,
I was so lucky to get to ride it on the introduction in South Africa.

Unfortunately I had some lower back prolapse problems then and the flight down there was painfull, but as soon I got on the bike I was fine for the whole day of riding.
Was that the new watercooled bike coming out next year?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #51
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
What's most telling 'bout this thread, is that all the most comfortable bikes are heavy.
Peeps is alwayz look'in fer "the best sport tourer" and they'z look'n for light, when heavy is more comfortable. Light is better in the twisties, it's always gonna be a trade off..
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
For me it's been my FJR.

+ 1
The FJR just felt perfect the 1st time I sat on it. (I'm still sport'in the stock seat 'n bars too.)
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #52
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,685
1984 BMW R80RT with a 3/5 length BMW police seat and a Parabellum windscreen. No picture unfortunately.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #53
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
What's most telling 'bout this thread, is that all the most comfortable bikes are heavy.
Peeps is alwayz look'in fer "the best sport tourer" and they'z look'n for light, when heavy is more comfortable. Light is better in the twisties, it's always gonna be a trade off.. + 1

Which is exactly why suspension quality is so important. You don't need a 700 pound motorcycle (mass dampening is what you're feeling) if you're riding on fine suspension action.

This bike floats like a cloud. And it'll rail in the twisties.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #54
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
After reading the preceeding posts I know one thing for sure most of you don't know what a comfortable bike is. The reason is, you don't ride far enough at one time for the bike to become uncomfortable. Ride 500 mile in one shot and you will know if the bike fits you, ride 800 miles and you know if the seat is comfortable, ride 1,000 miles or more in one day and you know if the bike is comfortable. I don't know what anyone elses definition of a comfortable bike is but mine is; if at the end of a 1,000 mile day you wonder why you are stopping for the day!
I have made three 1,650 mile rides straight through, only stopping for gas, food and to empty the bladder. I have done it once on a FJ1100 and twice on a 1800 Wing. It wasn't uncomfortable on on the FJ, but it was comfortable on the 1800 Wing. I was only home for an hour before I jumped on the wing and rode 25 miles to lunch and then rode the long way home.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #55
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
Heritage Softail I rented on Maui. Problem was, the ergonomic triangle it put me in was perfect for sleeping.
Wife and I borrowed one of my BIL's Heritages on a recent vacation to western PA. I liked it a lot more than I expected to. She loved it. I was really surprised tho at how quickly you could ground the primary case making a U-turn.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #56
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Which is exactly why suspension quality is so important. You don't need a 700 pound motorcycle (mass dampening is what you're feeling) if you're riding on fine suspension action.

This bike floats like a cloud. And it'll rail in the twisties.

This^^^ I really liked my old S3T. Wife did too, win-win.. I dunno why I sold it, fit of insanity maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
After reading the preceeding posts I know one thing for sure most of you don't know what a comfortable bike is. The reason is, you don't ride far enough at one time for the bike to become uncomfortable. Ride 500 mile in one shot and you will know if the bike fits you, ride 800 miles and you know if the seat is comfortable, ride 1,000 miles or more in one day and you know if the bike is comfortable. I don't know what anyone elses definition of a comfortable bike is but mine is; if at the end of a 1,000 mile day you wonder why you are stopping for the day!
I have made three 1,650 mile rides straight through, only stopping for gas, food and to empty the bladder. I have done it once on a FJ1100 and twice on a 1800 Wing. It wasn't uncomfortable on on the FJ, but it was comfortable on the 1800 Wing. I was only home for an hour before I jumped on the wing and rode 25 miles to lunch and then rode the long way home.
I don't know about the rest of these guys. FWIW I commute 40 miles one way, and on weekends we typically put in at least one 400-500 mile day. Three day weekends are good for 1500+ and we take time to stop and smell the flowers. We've had bikes that I loved and she hated and vice versa. The Cop King we ride now works for both of us. I have done a couple of 500 mile days on a Gold Wing, nice ride in a straight line but didn't like how it handled.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #57
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
OK this is a spin off from the "most comfortable bike you never rode" thread - since it seems a lot of people want to talk about the ones they have ridden, I figured a new thread may be in order.

Anyway, the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden -

hard to say. I did a 904 mile day on my DL1000 with a gel seat and Cee Bailey's w/s. That's my longest day ever in the saddle.

I owned a Suzuki GS650G back when I was young and hard all over, and did a few 700+ mile days on that one, I remember it fondly, and it was completely stock except for a fork mounted w/s and some hiway pegs.

I also owned a GSX1100G with a Corbin and the same w/s that came off the 650. It did pretty well. It also had hw pegs.

I haven't had an opportunity to do a long day on my Nomad yet, but I suspect it will perform very well in the comfort category. It's addictive.
Seems like I remember you mentioning you owned a GW once? If so, you rate the DL over the GW?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #58
stfmkr
2up Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
Those of you voting for the GSA... Have you ridden traditional touring bikes as well? I really want one, but it doesn't "look" as comfy as, say an ElectraGlide, or a K1600GTL to me...
I've ridden the "traditional touring bikes" as you say and find them comfortable on the highway only. On small curvy roads or poorly maintained roads (fun roads) I find them to be very uncomfortable and even unnerving because of their excessive weight and lesser handling characteristics. These very large machines also do not give you the versatility to change your riding position as you ride. I tried standing on the 1600GTL...it's a no go.
The GSA and GS and similarly oriented machines are about as heavy as I would be willing to ride and the reason that these bike are comfy for me is because they are suitably fast, agile and can soak up any surface imperfections well without upsetting the riding line. They aren't particularly good at any one thing but do everything well enough to give a comfy ride and also a "sporting feel". 1000km days (and more) are easily accomplished by many happy owners around the world.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #59
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,998
For me its a toss up involving my road king, fjr, and klr.

Long highway days is road king. Normal mix is fjr. The klr isn't the best highway bike, but at the end of the day I'm not tired or sore at all. Haven't gone over 500 in a day on any of them, so take it for what its worth.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #60
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 634
My 2 R12RT's with a RDL seat and Bakup backrest. Gone but not forgotten.

'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote