ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
2013 Best of the Montana 1000

While we were riding the 2012 Best of the Montana 1000, we chatted about re-doing the event. Since the event concluded, several of us have batted around the prospect of doing it again. Here's what I'd propose which is essentially to reverse the direction of the route from 2012 and provide for two days in the Gravelly Range:

For 2013, we'd start around the last week in July or early August in Kamiah, ID and ride the LOLO Motorway West to East and camp near the top of Lolo Pass. Day 2 would find us heading east over MT38 to Georgetown Lake for the night. Day 3 would find us travelling North to South on a scenic byway. Day 4 we'd continue east over a very cool gravel road which deposits us at the foot of the Gravelly Range. Then we'd spend two days touring the Gravelly Range from north to south. A ride up the Bannock Wagon road would follow along with a stop at Bannock. We'd finish up by riding the MacGruder Corridor from East to West and finish up in Elk City, ID. I'd prepare the 'official' route and circulate that to the riders. This would be a full on adventure riding trip with camping every night. Any dual sport bike can do this and it's big bike friendly.

UPDATE 4/20/13: We'll start in Kamiah, ID on Sunday 8/11 - Finish in Elk City, ID Saturday 8/17 - Follow the thread for route developments.

Is there any interest or questions? If so, post a reply in this thread.

In case you are new to the event, check out the pictures from the 2012 event which were posted at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812886

BTW, for those in the Seattle area, Steve Stone and I will present a slide show on the 2012 trip at Ride West BMW on February 21, 2013 @ 7pm. Check out the Ride West site for details.

'Official' Participant List (As of 6/8/2013)
(Don't worry about the group being too large. We'll naturally break up into much smaller groups for the riding during the day)
1. Timmer
2. Wansfel
3. DammitDave
4. sorebutt
5. Roadglide
6. Red
7. Stinky & friend
8. Arbrlvr
9. zzo
10. Danodemotoman
11. Clark60
12 Watercat
13. Wallowa

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100

Timmer screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 09:55 PM Reason: Updated for Current Participants
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,324
Tim,

If you mean the last full week of July, then yeah, I'm interested (again!) I have track days at Ridge Aug 4,5 and PIR on 7/19. So if you wanna burn off the rest of your tires show up for that, it would be an awesome finish (or start)! I would have to have all my dux in a row, but seems possible and definitely worth doing.

Sure had fun riding it this year with you and all the rest of the gang, plus learning how to pan gold with a garbage can lid!
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Interested.
If I'm counting correctly, it's 7 days from Kamiah to Elk City?
Rough estimate of average miles per day?
81husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
That sounds like a great ride. I'm definately interested.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Had as great time last year, would love to do it again. I'll have to see how much vacation time I can scrape up.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81husky View Post
Interested.
If I'm counting correctly, it's 7 days from Kamiah to Elk City?
Rough estimate of average miles per day?
Yes, I'm looking at a 7 day trip. We may re-allocate some of the days in the middle as there's been a strong desire to spend more time in the Gravellies (yes, they are that good). We usually rode around 150ish miles per day. Depending upon the group, we can even shorten or lengthen it a bit.

Re: timing, I can't do it earlier than the end of July due to a prior ride commitment. Plus when we did it last year in the 3rd week of July, we were among the first to traverse both the Macgruder and Lolo Motorway.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
BTW, for those in the Seattle area, Steve Stone and I will present a slide show on the 2012 trip at Ride West BMW on February 21, 2013 @ 7pm. Check out the Ride West site for details.

Tim
Darn, it's on a Thurs. if it were on a Fri. or Sat. I would drive over for it.

I'm sure interested in the ride but I already have two weeks of vacation committed (1 wk Death Valley and the 2nd wk Hells Canyon ) And two more weeks in the fall to take off on my own. I don't know if I can squeaze another week off in 2013 out of my supervisor but I might just give it a shot. Last years ride looked like so much fun and you had at least one rider taking the time to enjoy the flowers along the way.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,778

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Darn, it's on a Thurs. if it were on a Fri. or Sat. I would drive over for it.

I'm sure interested in the ride but I already have two weeks of vacation committed (1 wk Death Valley and the 2nd wk Hells Canyon ) And two more weeks in the fall to take off on my own. I don't know if I can squeaze another week off in 2013 out of my supervisor but I might just give it a shot. Last years ride looked like so much fun and you had at least one rider taking the time to enjoy the flowers along the way.
LB, it was a great ride and a great group. I think you would have really enjoyed it. Tough part for you I think would be deciding which bike to bring!

I'm going to burn one week on an extended ride/camping trip with the wife in the RZR (maybe in the Gravellys and Island Park, or else along the Idaho/MT border, down to the Lolo Motorway and back). If I can get enough additional time off I want to do this again.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,076
Any planning assitance you may need, just holler!

Ron
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,661
Very interesting.... I might have to bring my little bike. I would like to see the areas that were snowed on on my last trip and the Gravelies are on the short list...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Yes, I'm looking at a 7 day trip. We may re-allocate some of the days in the middle as there's been a strong desire to spend more time in the Gravellies (yes, they are that good). We usually rode around 150ish miles per day. Depending upon the group, we can even shorten or lengthen it a bit.

Re: timing, I can't do it earlier than the end of July due to a prior ride commitment. Plus when we did it last year in the 3rd week of July, we were among the first to traverse both the Macgruder and Lolo Motorway.
The Motorway and Magruder usually aren't accessable until mid July. I'm sure there are lots of trees down from the fires last summer so late July just might be the earliest a person can ride through there.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
xr_doug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Timmer, this year's Montana 1000 was a blast!

Doing it again backwards would mean I'd get to ride the Lolo Motorway which I missed last time because I had to get back to Portland to meet my group for another planned trip. I'll keep watching the thread as my summer plans firm up. Maybe I can make it work.

Doug
...this ain't no motel/cafe ride..it's a disaster of lost souls in the forbidden wilds of far lost oregon...(Peterman)
xr_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
In

Tim: I'm in. Thanks for the good trip last summer and for starting the planning. What a great adventure to anticipate. Roadglide was asking me if we would do it again next summer, so I know he's interested.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the encouragement so far.

LB, more than one of us "smelled the roses". There was just one who went beyond the call of duty in photographing them.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100