ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #256
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,049
Well.....I'm home!!! Timmer, if you would kindly start an "after ride report and picture" thread? Perhaps the "Best of Montana 2013 Goes Down in Flames Picture Thread"There will be stories to tell. The ride is complete with good adventure.

Started with a count of 15. Ended with 3 - myself, Pat from Helena, and Rob from Seattle. But none of us get the coveted yellow sticky note with the marking pen embossed "I ROAD THE WHOLE BOM 2013 ROUTE". We formally terminated in Wisdom with those final three departing to thier respective home ports. But the stories shall go on. Details at 9.

Damn, I wanted to
hit Horse Hotsprings!

Wansfel screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 06:36 PM
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #257
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
ZZO is home

I'm home safe and at least as sound as when I left. Great ride and great companeros. Thanks to Wansfel for leading the ride (perhaps herding cats would be a better description). Thanks to Robert for hanging with us until Wisdom. If I can do anything from Helena for anyone, let me know. I'm not sure if everyone is off the trail or not as many split off on Wednesday when the fire disrupted our scheduled stop.

Pat aka zzo
Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #258
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Well.....I'm home!!! Timmer, if you would kindly start an "after ride report and picture" thread? Perhaps the "Best of Montana 2013 Goes Down in Flames Picture Thread"There will be stories to tell. The ride is complete with good adventure.

Started with a count of 15. Ended with 3 - myself, Pat from Helena, and Rob from Seattle. But none of us get the coveted yellow sticky note with the marking pen embossed "I ROAD THE WHOLE BOM 2013 ROUTE". We formally terminated in Wisdom with those final three departing to thier respective home ports. But the stories shall go on. Details at 9.

Damn, I wanted to
hit Horse Hotsprings!
The 'official' picture thread is at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post22118554 but please post your stories either here or in Day Trippin with a link from here. I'm glad to hear all are safe and sound and not singed!
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #259
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzo View Post
I'm home safe and at least as sound as when I left. Great ride and great companeros. Thanks to Wansfel for leading the ride (perhaps herding cats would be a better description). Thanks to Robert for hanging with us until Wisdom. If I can do anything from Helena for anyone, let me know. I'm not sure if everyone is off the trail or not as many split off on Wednesday when the fire disrupted our scheduled stop.

Pat aka zzo
Pat, great to hear your brief account. Please post more. I so wanted to come, but just couldn't. I'm already thinking about 2014.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 08-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #260
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,529
Wink

Watercat superslabed it all the way back to Seattle- Got home 11:45 PM . . . .

This was a fun ride - First time riding thru a wild fire . . . . . . Wow, thrilling ! ! ! ! !

Thanks again to Ron, especially liked the camping at Reservoir Lake, and lunch at the cantina in a Montana village - Jackson; New territory for me.

- Rob

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON

Watercat screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 12:59 AM
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #261
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Rob, Some ride. From Resevoir Lake to Seattle...wow!! A 600 mile ride from Wisdom plus the 45 dirt from the last camp! Well done

The last group shot of the ride in Wisdom:

The first group shot from Kamiah:

For those who can't wait for posts.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #262
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Depiction of the Eureka Fire. It was blowing across the Gravelly Range Road just as various sub groups of our ride were traveling through. USFS was kind enough to let the bikers through although they were stopping others as they knew we were riding in multiple, dispersed groups. Riding through timbered sections where trees were crashing down in the forest adjacent to the road is something to remember!!!

The net result was a significant dispersal of riders especially considering there was no good camping opportunities for a l o n g ways beyond. Some headed on to Lima, others back up the Centenial Road to Alder. Some motelled in Lima. Several ran up to Clark Canyon Dam to camp self included.

HUGE semi tracgtor trailer rigs with catering supplies etc. came by the junction of the Centenial Road and the Eureka Basin Road where we waited for various sub-groups to pop out. This was VERY near our planned campsite. The command post, city to be, was just a mile on the other side of the planned campsite.

Todays view of the fire showing how it blew across the Eureka Basin and Gravelly Range Roads:

Fire camp command post w/helicopter in the background:

Can't say we didn't have plenty of adventure on this ride!

Ron
Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #263
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ron, all I can say is wow!

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #264
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Short recap of the 2013 MT1000

I left my house in Helena last Saturday to begin the MT1000. About 3 miles from the house, the rear brake failed. Upon examination, the rear brake caliper was hanging by the brake line only. Fortunately Helena Cycle was open and promptly reattached the caliper. I motored the 270 miles to Kamiah over McDonald Pass and Lolo Pass. Along the way I got soaked in a thunderstorm and finished the ride in the dark. The ADV riders were well hidden in the back of the city park and it took me two drive thru's to find them. This was a pattern that would repeat itself for the next two nights. Next morning I had a great breakfast at Hearthstone Bakery and Tea House on Main in Kamiah. They even made up a sandwich for lunch on the Lolo Motorway.

The Lolo Motorway was the first leg of the MT1000. It is 107 miles of largely rough road. My group got a little lost getting to the main route, FS500. The shortcut over FS5007 was a little daunting with heavily laden bikes due to numerous washes with running water in them. We spent all day riding FS500 and feeling the suspensions slam while traversing numerous patches of boulders I think it should be called the Lolo Jeep Trail or perhaps Lolo Boulderway. At the end of the Motorway we gathered at the Lochsa Lodge for dinner and gas. Then it was a race with darkness to Elk Meadows. I drove by the turn in the dark but stopped after a mile or so. While considering my options, Jeff from California came by to lead me back to the camp. It was a damp but beautiful campsite.

Monday was an easier day with the run down to Lolo, through the Bitterroot Valley to Hamilton and up Skalkaho Pass. I was lagging the group and went into Phillipsburg for beer and gas before taking the road to the East Fork Reservoir. The campsite was poorly marked, so we ended up in two different locations. After another cool, damp night we reassembled before heading out for the day's riding.

Tuesday started with a beautiful ride around the south end of Georgetown Lake. We stopped in Anaconda for gas and food and had a great ride south on the Wise River/Polaris Road. After a fine lunch in Wise River we rode the to Coolidge Ghost Town where I managed to break the fuse to my cooling fan. That was fixed by the Honda mechanic in Dillon where we again enjoyed a late afternoon deluge. Wansfel and I arrived in Alder after the store closed but readily found the ADV camp on Ruby Reservoir.

Wednesday I ran back into Alder for breakfast at Chick's Bar and Cafe and then paid $7 for a quick shower (highly recommended!). The ride down the Upper Ruby Road was beautiful and FS163 up into the Gravelly Range was excellent. FS290 through the Gravelly Range was spectacular as always but I did encounter about a dozen ATV riders. Smoke loomed to the south which was ominous. At the south end of the Range I was stopped for the fire but eventually rode through with two other ADV riders. By the time we got there, the fire was on both sides of the road and helicopters were dropping water nearby. It was unreal. With our camp under siege by the fire and fire traffic, we rode on to Lima, a long, tiring, dusty trek. Jan's restaurant was a fine respite after the long day. With dark approaching, I opted for the local motel as did Dammitdave and Red.

Thursday I enjoyed breakfast at Jan's with the other two ADV laggards and then headed for Big Sheep Creek. It was a wonderful ride up Sheep Creek to Medicine Lodge Road. It was getting hot by the time I reached Hwy 324. At Reservoir Lake I met up with Watercat and Wansfel where we camped and went for a cool dip in the lake. The campground host kindly cooled our remaining refreshments on ice for us.

Friday was a lazy morning and late start. Wansfel, Watercat and I had lunch in Rose's Cantina in Jackson (new but recommended), gassed up in Wisdom and went our separate ways home. Political correctness may have arrived in Wisdom as the beautiful Indian maiden is no more.

Thanks for all for a great ride and great companions.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #265
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat View Post
Watercat superslabed it all the way back to Seattle- Got home 11:45 PM . . . .

This was a fun ride - First time riding thru a wild fire . . . . . . Wow, thrilling ! ! ! ! !

Thanks again to Ron, especially liked the camping at Reservoir Lake, and lunch at the cantina in a Montana village - Jackson; New territory for me.

- Rob
Good to hear you made it. Thanks for coming. I enjoyed the riding and camping with you. Pat
Old 08-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #266
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Wink

Pat,

Thanks, likewise enjoyed riding with you, best part is the visiting around the campfire . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . & taking in the local lore of "the big empty" - Montana, and I mean that in a good way; It's always a nice escape from here to get out to the remote regions of your state. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm grateful that such empty, natural places still exist . . . . . . . .

Needed some of this yesterday:

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #267
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Home!

Blackboots and I made it home this afternoon. Thanks again Ron and Timmer for putting together the route. I'll post a writeup in the after action report. dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #268
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Watercat:

Are you ready for a SS1k? 600 is just warming up!

Glad to hear you had a good time. I'd like to chat with you by phone next week some time if that would work for you. PM me a contact number if that would work for you.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #269
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Watercat:

Are you ready for a SS1k? 600 is just warming up!

Glad to hear you had a good time. I'd like to chat with you by phone next week some time if that would work for you. PM me a contact number if that would work for you.

Tim
Indeed, fun & adventure ! ! !

PM sent.

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Old 08-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #270
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Started with a count of 15. Ended with 3 - myself, Pat from Helena, and Rob from Seattle. !
Ahh... Not so fast Ron. Dave and I left you guys at Reservoir Lake and went to Wisdom to try to find cell service. That's a story in itself... We spent the night in Wisdom and ran the tracks that took off from Big Hole, down through the North Fork and on to Painted Rocks and Darby the next day. We finished out the day running up to Lolo summit for some stealth camping. Saturday we ran into Lewiston and spent the night and a few celebratory Margaritas. Trailered the bikes home today and am now cleaning a very dirty GS.

So, technically we ran the whole route. Does that mean we get the coveted yellow sticky note?