ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #61
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 290
Anybody??

Timmer,

Is this ride something that is open to anybody?? I don't know anyone that I see replies from, but it sounds like fun.

Would a 1200 GS or a dual sported XRR 650 better choice for the trip? I can do 200 miles and haul my camping stuff on either one. I've done the Magruder on the 1200.

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #62
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny View Post
Timmer,

Is this ride something that is open to anybody?? I don't know anyone that I see replies from, but it sounds like fun.

Would a 1200 GS or a dual sported XRR 650 better choice for the trip? I can do 200 miles and haul my camping stuff on either one. I've done the Magruder on the 1200.

4r
The ride is open to anyone on any bike they determine to be feasible. Since you've done the Magruder on the 1200GS, that would be the bike I would take unless you have desires to ride more difficult side trips.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #63
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wansfel and I have been playing around with some route revisions that will lead to more dirt and less pavement, some new scenery, and provide some slight route tweaking from last year. How's that sound to everyone? We're working to keep the trip to 7 days not counting transit time from everyone's home locations.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #64
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,188
Sounds good to me!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #65
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
More dirt and less pavement sounds good.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #66
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Oh Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
More dirt and less pavement sounds good.
Do it in the dirt....
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #67
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Bitterroot Snow Levels

While it's not good for MT or ID, the news from the mountains is good for us. The Bitterroot snowpack was about 85% of normal for January. There's lots of winter to go yet and NOAA is not seeing a trend, one way or another in the North Pacific, spelling out the El nino situation. I'm cautiously hoarding a bottle of Dom Perignon till spring equinox. dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #68
idabeemerboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465

Hey....we LIVE in Kamiah....we might want to do this. I've subscribed to the thread, so will stay in the loop. That's a very busy time of year for us, but we'll see...sounds good! Also, we know most of the area you are going, so could help a little along those lines. You go right by our house to get to the Lolo Motorway...fun ride!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
While we were riding the 2012 Best of the Montana 1000, we chatted about re-doing the event. Since the event concluded, several of us have batted around the prospect of doing it again. Here's what I'd propose which is essentially to reverse the direction of the route from 2012 and provide for two days in the Gravelly Range:

For 2013, we'd start around the last week in July or early August in Kamiah, ID and ride the LOLO Motorway West to East and camp near the top of Lolo Pass. Day 2 would find us heading east over MT38 to Georgetown Lake for the night. Day 3 would find us travelling North to South on a scenic byway. Day 4 we'd continue east over a very cool gravel road which deposits us at the foot of the Gravelly Range. Then we'd spend two days touring the Gravelly Range from north to south. A ride up the Bannock Wagon road would follow along with a stop at Bannock. We'd finish up by riding the MacGruder Corridor from East to West and finish up in Elk City, ID. I'd prepare the 'official' route and circulate that to the riders. This would be a full on adventure riding trip with camping every night. Any dual sport bike can do this and it's big bike friendly.

Is there any interest or questions? If so, post a reply in this thread.

In case you are new to the event, check out the pictures from the 2012 event which were posted at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812886

BTW, for those in the Seattle area, Steve Stone and I will present a slide show on the 2012 trip at Ride West BMW on February 21, 2013 @ 7pm. Check out the Ride West site for details.

Tim
'73 75/5
'07 GSA Adventure
various dirt bikes
and 2 horses.....
idabeemerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #69
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Laugh YES! No 'Maybe'...But Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by idabeemerboy View Post
Hey....we LIVE in Kamiah....we might want to do this. I've subscribed to the thread, so will stay in the loop. That's a very busy time of year for us, but we'll see...sounds good! Also, we know most of the area you are going, so could help a little along those lines. You go right by our house to get to the Lolo Motorway...fun ride!!!
Tom and Sue are great folks and Tom is an outstanding rider...they can ride two up where I dare not tread!

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #70
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
I checked Snowtel's snow information this morning. Lolo pass currently has 64" of snow. I checked the history for this date for the last 3 years and it shows 16-31". I checked the upper North Fork and South Fork of the Clearwater and the results were about the same.

Another site showed over 100" in all the Clearwater Mountains. It appears that the high country has been getting snow while the lower country has been getting rain.

What happens in the next few months will be based on how much precip. and temperatures.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #71
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 921
BOM 2013 Ruff Route

This is inidcative of the route we are planning. Gives a general idea. Tim and I will be refining the details as the next few weeks/months roll by and we will have final GPX files. 7 days, different color for each day.

We are looking at making the Gravellys a single day, but it will have plenty of options and timed to get us into the area quickly that day for general sightseeing and exploring some potential new roads.

Anything special any of you might want to see on this general route?

Quite a bit of slab on days 2 and 3, but they are scenic and very mucho more gravel on the rest.

Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #72
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wansfel has discovered a real treat in reaching the Gravelly Range that will add another ghost town to the route for you ghost town fans. The route just keeps getting better and better. . .

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #73
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 473
Got my calendar updated for this event. I'm in the Spokane area and looking forward to this. As I am an ORF( old retired fart), I hope that this is not a race but more of a tour. Gotta smell the flowers....
2008 Yamaha Zuma
airheadbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #74
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
Got my calendar updated for this event. I'm in the Spokane area and looking forward to this. As I am an ORF( old retired fart), I hope that this is not a race but more of a tour. Gotta smell the flowers....
You can take it to the bank that it is not a race. A tour describes it nicely. The 2012 pics should convey that.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #75
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
Double what Tim says. There was a wide range of riders last year and I expect the same this year so there will be groups that run ahead and those that stop to smell the roses. This is definitely a scenic trip though and I think we are setting up routes and daily mileages that will allow time for stops.

Ron
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote