ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #91
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Hmm, I can think of a pretty good alternate up through the Sapphires from the Battlefield to Skalkaho then up to Lolo and back thata way.
I would bet you a cold cervesa you could!
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #92
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien View Post
I would bet you a cold cervesa you could!
Bets on! We have a new Microbrew in town now too! How many towns of 1400 people have 2 such?
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #93
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Hmm, we will have to keep an ear open on the "M" route. I can think of a pretty good alternate up through the Sapphires from the Battlefield to Skalkaho then up to Lolo and back thata way.
Let's keep that option open.

BTW, my new Ohlins rear shock is due here this week and I'll install a new chain and sprockets while I'm at it.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #94
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Have dates been detemined for the 2012 Best of Montana 1000 ride yet? I just checked the first post to see if it has been updated but there wasn't anything there.

Timmer, what's the scoop?
Sherri,

Fixed on the first page! Thanks for pointing it out!
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #95
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Let's keep that option open.

BTW, my new Ohlins rear shock is due here this week and I'll install a new chain and sprockets while I'm at it.
I put on a Ricor IAS rear w/440# spring last spring along with Ricor front cartridges. Really helps. You will enjoy the change. This year I installed a Mikuni carb which could be interesting on a long trip.

The Magruder closing may cause us to rethink the start and end days of our adventure.

Ron
Old 04-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #96
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I put on a Ricor IAS rear w/440# spring last spring along with Ricor front cartridges. Really helps. You will enjoy the change. This year I installed a Mikuni carb which could be interesting on a long trip.

The Magruder closing may cause us to rethink the start and end days of our adventure.

Ron
Ron,

Given that the working people have in some cases had to apply for vacation time, I'd suggest that we keep the dates for now and if necessary alter the route. We'll need to keep an eye on the other sections of the route for closures as well.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #97
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Quote:
Sherri,

Fixed on the first page! Thanks for pointing it out!
Hi Timmer

Thanks, that makes it easier to find the dates. I'm going to try to make this. It looks like you all had a good time last year and there were at least a few people that weren't in a hurry to get to the next stop.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #98
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Hi Timmer

Thanks, that makes it easier to find the dates. I'm going to try to make this. It looks like you all had a good time last year and there were at least a few people that weren't in a hurry to get to the next stop.
There were lots of us not in a hurry to get to the next stop and even a few who took the long way there. We'd love to have you along.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 04-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #99
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Laugh

Quote:
Ron,

Given that the working people have in some cases had to apply for vacation time, I'd suggest that we keep the dates for now and if necessary alter the route. We'll need to keep an eye on the other sections of the route for closures as well.
Agreed. I'll keep an eye on both routes and possibly check them out physically since they are so close to home base. There are some possible routes from Kamiah north towards St. Regis then on back towards the east side of Lolo/Missoula if needed. Haven't explored them all myself, but have some published routes that look promising and I wouldn't be opposed to verifying them early.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #100
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
How many towns of 1400 people have 2 such?
Don't make me search on the web. Would rather ride all over MT on 2-track to find the answer to an important question like that.
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #101
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien View Post
Don't make me search on the web. Would rather ride all over MT on 2-track to find the answer to an important question like that.
Guess I'll have to go riding with the GPS and mark waypoints for all the microbrews within 30 miles...Could take a few trips to catch them all.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #102
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
For Brews Is Fine...

Quote:
Guess I'll have to go riding with the GPS and mark waypoints for all the microbrews within 30 miles...Could take a few trips to catch them all.

First I want to let those organizing this to know that I appreciate your efforts...

Just for me, repeating, just for me, once riding the Magruder was more than enough....I came in from Cobalt then Stoup [Rainbow Res?], East to West...I personally found the route to not be as scenic as expected with one challenging climb up out of the river, but neighboring Idaho and Montana had much more to offer for my tastes...while I am looking forward to riding with you, I already had plans to peel off before the Magruder and go South/East and then West through Montana and Idaho on my way back to Enterprise..

Now it seems that we will not be riding the Mac and that is just fine with me...I also hope the dates for the ride stay as previously set since lots of stuff needs planning this Summer and this ride is on my calendar in ink.

Should be serious fun. Thanks again.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #103
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
First I want to let those organizing this to know that I appreciate your efforts...

Just for me, repeating, just for me, once riding the Magruder was more than enough....I came in from Cobalt then Stoup [Rainbow Res?], East to West...I personally found the route to not be as scenic as expected with one challenging climb up out of the river, but neighboring Idaho and Montana had much more to offer for my tastes...while I am looking forward to riding with you, I already had plans to peel off before the Magruder and go South/East and then West through Montana and Idaho on my way back to Enterprise..

Now it seems that we will not be riding the Mac and that is just fine with me...I also hope the dates for the ride stay as previously set since lots of stuff needs planning this Summer and this ride is on my calendar in ink.

Should be serious fun. Thanks again.

Shouldn't be a problem. We keep things flexible and in past years - in the spirit of Adventure - have been known to alter routes some ad hoc. But we kept nightly bivouac locations set to assure those that entered the ride late can find us and those running fast or late can be assured to stay with the group - not always an easy thing to do. The only real definite set this year are the start/stop dates. The allure of the Magruder is probably more related to its remoteness. Not many locations in the lower 48 where you will be so isolated from any bailout or support service. It is nice that we are blessed with many alternatives. Obviously there is a certain amount of individual adventure just getting to and from the start stop of the formal ride.

And, we are considering alternate contingencies keeping in line with the objective of touring the Best of Montana.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #104
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
I have to agree that Macgruder is over rated. There is too much traffic and isn't near as scenic as it use to before all the fires.

I'm all for an alternative rather than the possibilty that we get held up for construction.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #105
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Shouldn't be a problem. We keep things flexible and in past years - in the spirit of Adventure - have been known to alter routes some ad hoc. But we kept nightly bivouac locations set to assure those that entered the ride late can find us and those running fast or late can be assured to stay with the group - not always an easy thing to do. The only real definite set this year are the start/stop dates. The allure of the Magruder is probably more related to its remoteness. Not many locations in the lower 48 where you will be so isolated from any bailout or support service. It is nice that we are blessed with many alternatives. Obviously there is a certain amount of individual adventure just getting to and from the start stop of the formal ride.

And, we are considering alternate contingencies keeping in line with the objective of touring the Best of Montana.
Ron,

Well stated.

And all should continue to plan for the 8/11-17 dates. Adventure will be where we find it. And if last year was any indication, we had no problem in that department.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100