ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Well, bummer. Didn't know that...might as well shop Walmart. I was thinking about buying their gear, even though it's out of my budget, to support an Idaho company.
China or not it currently is very well made and IMO worth the $$$

Kind of sucks to hear….. another solid biz being bought up by another larger entity…. Hopefully they can maintain their direction and culture and don’t dumb down the product.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear

obrianmcc screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 06:55 AM
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Well, bummer. Didn't know that...might as well shop Walmart. I was thinking about buying their gear, even though it's out of my budget, to support an Idaho company.
The company is still an Idaho company.
- They still pay US taxes
- They still have 40 Americans earning a living in this US based company, that contribute to the economy
- Their goods get shipped with American companies, sold through American stores, often with sales taxes that go to American companies.
- They pay American advertisers to advertise in American Magazines sold to Americans all of which contribute to the economy
- Etc.

Just because something is manufactured in China, doesn't mean you aren't still supporting a local company. Also just because something is made in China it doesn't = crap. China can make anything to the customer's specifications. The customer just has to keep them on a short leash, and keep the quality up.

That being said...way to go Aerostitch.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,112
Klim is an authentic American success story (although the China part does suck). Not only is it the brainchild of an Idaho entrepreneur, but it is located in rural eastern Idaho, out in the country, where the ADV riding and snowmobiling are world-class. We're proud of what Justin Summers built. Just hope it stays here, and that it retains its friendly small-town Idaho culture.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,808
Klim

Many small manufacturers have to sell out.

I would wager, Klim developed their product, began selling it and their reputation grew. Sales grew, and then they expanded the line to cover all bases. Takes a lot of cash. Banks currently are tight assed for any loans. Possibly Klim could not keep up with demand and feared loosing it all. They probably searched for a buyer with certain conditions to apply if they sold.
Polaris, seemingly a deep pockets company, came along and made them an offer. Potentially a win win situation for both parties.
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,438
They don't make clothing in extra lard-assed sizes.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal View Post
Many small manufacturers have to sell out.

I would wager, Klim developed their product, began selling it and their reputation grew. Sales grew, and then they expanded the line to cover all bases. Takes a lot of cash. Banks currently are tight assed for any loans. Possibly Klim could not keep up with demand and feared loosing it all. They probably searched for a buyer with certain conditions to apply if they sold.
Polaris, seemingly a deep pockets company, came along and made them an offer. Potentially a win win situation for both parties.
I'll wager that Polaris simply made the founder an offer he'd be crazy to refuse. A fella only lives once ...
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,525
For US made riding gear I'd try Filson http://www.filson.com Their tin-cloth chaps, pants and jackets are pretty slick. They offer no armor and are not made specifically for riding, but they're US made and look old school.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
I understand the economics of a sale, but I hate to see the "mom and pop" shops close or bought up. Bookstores, drug stores, coffee shops etc all taken over by big corporations....I just like the little guy.....
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
Well Worth The $$$?

Hey, they make good gear ...but get a grip, $1,300 for a motorcycle riding jacket? To each their own...but this is like defense department prices...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
The stuff I tried on was made in Vietnam. There was no way in hell I was going to pay that much coin for where it was made.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #26
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The stuff I tried on was made in Vietnam. There was no way in hell I was going to pay that much coin for where it was made.

In other words, "Dont mind me, I'm a narrow-minded buffoon that only wants to deal with like-minded others."

No wonder I put you on my *Ignore* list long ago.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81husky View Post
There is almost zero riding wear made in the USA.

http://www.sledmi.com/forums/index.p...american-made/

The above link is internet info, so take it for what it's worth, but I believe Klim is made in China. I've seen this other places too, but don't remember where.

Pretty sure Motoport still has alot of their stuff U.S. made. And, if nothing else, the stuff they make is extreme heavy duty, like friggin' bear proof!
http://www.motoport.com/
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #28
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Hey, they make good gear ...but get a grip, $1,300 for a motorcycle riding jacket? To each their own...but this is like defense department prices...
For the record I was referring to their Dakar and Mojave pants, and most recently their Stow Away jacket .... All under $200.00 ea.

.... if you don't like the price... don't buy.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #29
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,421
Well the purchase by Polaris has some benefits, they are selling their inventory pretty cheap right now. Atomic has some pretty sweet pricing on the off-road stuff from Klim:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Klim-Daka...m_medium=email

I never understood the price of their adventure suit, but their normal off road gear was reasonable and is very good stuff.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #30
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,403
Klim

My understanding is that Klim approached Polaris. They need to grow their product into the European market where there is more money to be made. That takes millions of dollars. They make a great product with a warranty second to none. If anything the Idaho site will grow with a consolidation of Polaris clothing in Idaho. win-win especially for Polaris.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote