ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #31
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Well the purchase by Polaris has some benefits, they are selling their inventory pretty cheap right now. Atomic has some pretty sweet pricing on the off-road stuff from Klim:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Klim-Daka...m_medium=email

I never understood the price of their adventure suit, but their normal off road gear was reasonable and is very good stuff.
KLIM is selling a couple models of pants at those prices,not all of their gear is on special sale.
The Dakar pants Ive got seem like they will out last me.

Check www.ironmandualsport.com for KLIM stuff. They will treat you right and always have some great nor cal rides coming up.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #32
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 181
I like Klim gear, would like to pick up a new coat and pants, but whenever I shop for the stuff, it's kind of like shopping for an Ipad or a cell phone or an Xbox for the kid, same price no matter where you go. Must come from a subsidiary of the Chinese I-things, cell-phone and Xbox/PS manufacturing consortium, hence the fixed pricing...

Unless you're the lucky one that finds that one pair of 2009 orange Chinook pants in XXS-Short for 84.99...

BARGAIN! I'm goin' on a diet... HELL YA!!!!!!!
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #33
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyrider View Post
in other words, "they are charging way too much for their stuff"

your *ignore* list is broken
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #34
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
Strange bedfellows Klim and Polaris. I doubt you will see many Victory riders wearing them. Do you think it is intended to get BMW and KTM riders into their showrooms? What will they then show them? Victory / Polaris needs a competitive Dual Sport and Adventure Touring bike.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Strange bedfellows Klim and Polaris. I doubt you will see many Victory riders wearing them. Do you think it is intended to get BMW and KTM riders into their showrooms? What will they then show them? Victory / Polaris needs a competitive Dual Sport and Adventure Touring bike.
Perhaps you are reading the busines plan of Polaris' Kilm purchase.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #36
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Think snowmobiles
Double H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #37
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 426
Snomobile and ATV.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #38
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,688
My cousin's husband in Minneapolis works for Victory and she won't let him buy a bike. Wrong on so many levels.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
My cousin's husband in Minneapolis works for Victory and she won't let him buy a bike. Wrong on so many levels.
It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #40
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Well the purchase by Polaris has some benefits, they are selling their inventory pretty cheap right now. Atomic has some pretty sweet pricing on the off-road stuff from Klim:

I never understood the price of their adventure suit, but their normal off road gear was reasonable and is very good stuff.
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a pair of Mojave pants to complement the Dakar pants I bought last year.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #41
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Pretty sure Motoport still has alot of their stuff U.S. made. And, if nothing else, the stuff they make is extreme heavy duty, like friggin' bear proof!
http://www.motoport.com/
I saw this thread pop-up on the main page, so I'm going to say this and then go back to the Central Forum.

Klim - Yes, made in China. I have some 5 year oldish Gore-Tex jacket that is made in China, but a very fine quality piece of kit. I'm happy that the founders and original investors were able to build an awesome brand and sell the company. Too often though, the larger company purchasing the agile, scrappy little guy just "doesn't get" what made that company so special to its consumers. The talent that made the scrappy little guy what it was all move-on and the new parent tries to squeeze even more blood from the stone. You know the rest...

Aerostich - Mixed bag. My older 'stich stuff ala 2004 is made in Duluth. If you get custom fitted, I believe your stuff is still made in Duluth. If you buy off the rack, you get the same quality materials and workmanship, but it comes from Asia. Their awesome gloves are still coming from a glove maker in Oregon, IIRC.

Motoport - Custom made in in California on the bigger items for sure. Their gloves were coming from Asia when I visited the shop in 2011. I think some of the bigger items had components or setups which were starting to come from overseas, but remember that a lot of the fancy textile and shock material used in these suits is only made overseas anyways.

This stuff is constantly changing as the owners of these businesses adjust to market and economics, so my information could be a bit out of date.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #42
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,165
I have some Klim gear - quality stuff, regardless of where it is made.

They make dirt bike stuff, but also snowmobile stuff too. Probably not a bad partnership with Polaris if Polaris let's them do their thing with design and quality.

Aerostich - have some of that too. It is okay quality, but they don't make off-road gear last I looked, and I tried to ride off-road with my Darien and Roadcrafter pants - just about killed me (too hot and too heavy).

Motoport - yeah, I have some MP gear too. Again, not suitable for off-road, way to heavy and hot.

My only beef with Klim is that the different gear they make has different size quirks. That is why I buy it from Atomic; they are great about letting me know what size I need to get for a particular product. Good people, good prices, good sales, good service and they are PNW local. Highly recommended.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #43
Eastview
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Time will tell this story for sure. It is a seldom seen picture when these large companys leave their new little guy alone. Internal guys have told me that is the word but of course it would be...what company would come in and say "watch out, we are going to make changes". I don't own any of the Klim Adv stuff , have been looking but really like the BMW RP3 I have except for having to use liners. Snowmobile gear is almost all Klim, has been for years and except for the boots I have been very happy.
2006 BMW K1200S (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tricolore(sold)Replaced with 2002 Foggy Monster
Eastview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #44
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
They don't make clothing in extra lard-assed sizes.

They barely make them in lard ass sizes. I think they have used the euro sizing for many years cause no way in hell and 'average" American is meant to fit in their gear.

Although I still have managed to stuff my largeness into some of the gear which I really like........................

On the point, I really am tired of hearing "oh, it's made in China" remarks. In todays business environment there isn't a company or product made in the world that does not use out sourced materials from some other company, even these http://www.globalmarket.com/hot-prod...2493853--.html

Made In America is 'assembled in America'.................................which still isn't a bad thing.

MotoBoss screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 12:20 PM
MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #45
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:

+1

I own their Dakar and Traverse pants and love the hell out of both of them. All bought from Atomic...

Mr Dual Sport screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 08:02 PM
Mr Dual Sport is offline   Reply With Quote