User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Sargent customer service

Am I out of line for taking the position of boycotting Sargent based on the following:

I was riding from Virginia to Key West. I had plans to stop at Sargent in Jacksonville on the way. Things happened and I was delayed, and at 4:45 it became clear that I wouldn't arrive at Sargent, which closes at 5:00, until around 5:05. I had a friend call (to make calls with my Sena I'm limited to numbers in my phonebook) and ask if they could stay the few minutes. At this point in my ride, I was ready to buy a seat and have my current seat mailed to my house. So, can they wait 5 minutes for a guy who has ridden 700 miles? Nope. I'm pretty sure even Best Buy would have waited. I know when I part-timed for Autozone we'd wait for a situation like this. I always viewed motorcyclists as comrades, and most accessory companies I have spoken with are very good about customer service because they ride and they get it. This really surprised me, but before I take too much offense from it, I wonder if people think I'm out of line here.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Wreckman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Nope....I have stayed late many times to help a customer. Thats why the call it customer service
Wreckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
so you dicked around and everybody else has to be inconvenienced. maybe the store employee had to pick up the kids from day care. it would have taken more than 5minutes to get you in and out.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
so you dicked around and everybody else has to be inconvenienced. maybe the store employee had to pick up the kids from day care. it would have taken more than 5minutes to get you in and out.
Dicked around...or got stuck in a storm and traffic in the 700 miles of riding.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Yeah, you're a dick.

They are human beings with lives outside of work. The fact that they didn't go above an beyond is disappointing, but a boycott? Really?

If they dicked you around after you showed up a Noon, that would one thing, but this is just you sounding like a spoiled child who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
Dicked around...or got stuck in a storm and traffic in the 700 miles of riding.
Get over yourself. Employees have a life, and as said above. It would take more than 5 minutes and maybe the employee had children to pick up and take care of. Are you going to pay the over time for the baby-sitter/day care center?

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Eh, fair enough then. I guess I took it too harshly. Nice to see how pleasant everybody here is though lol.

I know in my line of work I stay late all the time, even though I work in an office and don't rely on any sort of sales for my income.

ChildlikeWonder screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 07:38 AM
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,192
So after 700 miles you were going to buy a new seat and keep going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
Am I out of line for taking the position of boycotting Sargent based on the following:

I was riding from Virginia to Key West. I had plans to stop at Sargent in Jacksonville on the way. Things happened and I was delayed, and at 4:45 it became clear that I wouldn't arrive at Sargent, which closes at 5:00, until around 5:05. I had a friend call (to make calls with my Sena I'm limited to numbers in my phonebook) and ask if they could stay the few minutes. At this point in my ride, I was ready to buy a seat and have my current seat mailed to my house. So, can they wait 5 minutes for a guy who has ridden 700 miles? Nope. I'm pretty sure even Best Buy would have waited. I know when I part-timed for Autozone we'd wait for a situation like this. I always viewed motorcyclists as comrades, and most accessory companies I have spoken with are very good about customer service because they ride and they get it. This really surprised me, but before I take too much offense from it, I wonder if people think I'm out of line here.
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Go buy a fucking Corbin then. I hear they have much better customer service
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
tc339
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I dont really think its necessary for everyone to call you a dick, but you sure as hell shouldnt expect them to go out of their way for you. and its kind of over the top to want to boycott them because they wouldnt stay open past their store hours.

Like someone else said, yeah maybe you show up at 5:05. but by the time you park, get inside, make your purchase, leave, then they shut down, they are out another 25 minutes later.

Would it have been nice for them to stay open? yes. it would have been excellent customer service. But you cant expect them to and then be upset for something that isnt their fault.
tc339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
So after 700 miles you were going to buy a new seat and keep going?
I stopped riding for the night in Homestead.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,597
I guess going above and beyond doesn't exist anymore? So we're assuming they had a child at a day care center needing picked up? What would stop the employee from calling the day care and ask for them to wait a couple more minutes due to a late arriving customer? Must be nice to be in a business when 5PM strikes, you're out the door.

Surely one inconvenience isn't going to ruin everyone's day?

I have to take OPs side. I was on a 4 day trip and halfway through I was in need of a new rear tire. I tried calling a shop ahead of time just to make sure they had a rear in my size but no one answered. I got there with 10 minutes to spare. I found a tire and was willing to pay the ridiculous price but then got into an argument with the manager because they were about to close and he couldn't afford to pay overtime. He even yelled at me asking why I didn't call ahead of time but I got into his face and said no one picked up the damn phone! The mechanic and salesperson were on my side but the manager was a complete asshole.

For fucks sake. You're in a business which a lot of people would love to be in. You sell toys and accessories for them. I guess once a business builds a relutation, they can finally start to slack off because they have the buffer room to tell some people to fuck off.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeneRay View Post
I guess going above and beyond doesn't exist anymore? So we're assuming they had a child at a day care center needing picked up? What would stop the employee from calling the day care and ask for them to wait a couple more minutes due to a late arriving customer? Must be nice to be in a business when 5PM strikes, you're out the door.

Surely one inconvenience isn't going to ruin everyone's day?

I have to take OPs side. I was on a 4 day trip and halfway through I was in need of a new rear tire. I tried calling a shop ahead of time just to make sure they had a rear in my size but no one answered. I got there with 10 minutes to spare. I found a tire and was willing to pay the ridiculous price but then got into an argument with the manager because they were about to close and he couldn't afford to pay overtime. He even yelled at me asking why I didn't call ahead of time but I got into his face and said no one picked up the damn phone! The mechanic and salesperson were on my side but the manager was a complete asshole.

For fucks sake. You're in a business which a lot of people would love to be in. You sell toys and accessories for them. I guess once a business builds a relutation, they can finally start to slack off because they have the buffer room to tell some people to fuck off.
It's really nice when people do go above and beyond, but to get pissy because somebody has a higher priority than you right at that moment in time? That falls into the spoiled brat category, right along with the OP.

Enjoy it when it happens, but don't get your panties in a bunch when it doesn't.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
Maybe they based their response on past callers that said they would be there just 5 minutes late and show up much later or didn't show at all and didn't bother to call to tell them. Oh well. I liked Sargent's service and have their seat on my bike.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Maybe they based their response on past callers that said they would be there just 5 minutes late and show up much later or didn't show at all and didn't bother to call to tell them
Isn't that the burden of owning your own business?

Now, I highly doubt they get reoccurring calls claiming that a customer is travelling hundreds of miles to make it there shortly after closing.

If it was my business and I received that call, I would at least make the effort to stay a few minutes, especially if I had a pending sale. If we go back to the day care assumption, I know day cares aren't free. How else would I pay for the day care fees?

Seems like no one wants to take the extra effort anymore nowadays.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote