Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW JEEP View Post
Hello there,
I'm the previous owner of that bike. You are welcome to call me and I'll tell you all about it.

The bottom line is that you are lucky to get that bike. It's not too good to be true. And, I even have a box of older parts that I will give you. PM me with your phone number and I'll tell you all I know.

Sincerely,
Curt
Thought I recognized that sidewalk in front of the dealer! I checked their site and it's not up. If it's where I think it is, they are a fair shop that will treat you well.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #32
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
2001 most desirable 1150 build imo. Nice example here. Will be interesting to know if input shaft and clutch are original.. Odometer readings mean nothing if in peak condition. Might have new drive shaft, bearings, brake system, TB's ect. Actual condition is everything on older mc's. Considering how difficult they are to find this nice,well documented, the asking price is right in line if it checks out. Only the uninitiated believe that they are getting a better deal on $4,500 GS with $5k deferred maintenance.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #33
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Earlier this year I bought a mint-condition 2006 r1200gs with 16,000 miles for just over $10,000. I cannot imagine spending anywhere near 8,000 for what you describe. I think you can do much better for that money.

(replying to OP - didn't read follow-up comments)
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #34
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

$10,000 1200GS

Read the thread, more like $5,900 before tax, lic, reg and dealer prep. Come back in two years and tell us the total cost of your 1200.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #35
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,456
How do you know that this is not a $6700 bike with $5000 in deferred maintenance?

it might have many things fixed, what if it does not?

what if he buys it, drives it 300 miles and the clutch slave cylinder starts to leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
2001 most desirable 1150 build imo. Nice example here. Will be interesting to know if input shaft and clutch are original.. Odometer readings mean nothing if in peak condition. Might have new drive shaft, bearings, brake system, TB's ect. Actual condition is everything on older mc's. Considering how difficult they are to find this nice,well documented, the asking price is right in line if it checks out. Only the uninitiated believe that they are getting a better deal on $4,500 GS with $5k deferred maintenance.

Happy Holidays DrLewall !
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #36
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

Oddometer: 52
The previous owner and I spent over an hour on the phone last night. Thanks Curt!

All of the concerns folks have expressed here were covered during our chat.

We'll see if the dealership will take a 'reasonable' profit, make a little money and let me feel like I haven't had my pocket picked.

But I am very willing to walk away in a heartbeat if they insist on an unrealistic out the door price.

Besides, I need some winter riding gear and it appears they have a fine selection - helmet, boots, pants and jacket is another $1500-$2000 that they'll (potentially) get the profit on from my pocket.

Bottom line? We'll see if they want to deal or play games.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #37
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,470
As the owner of an older GS ( 98, see below ), I found this to be an interesting read. The bike is worth what you are willing to pay and what you are comfortable with. This bike has obviously been loved. Anything that well taken care on the outside has been taken care on the inside as well. Plus you have had the luxury of talking with the original owner, something most buyers of used bikes from dealers rarely get. Only thing holding down the price is mileage. It scares most and will scare those when you get ready to sell it. If you can live with that fact, buy it. Buy it somewhere in the $ 5,000 plus or minus range, ride it for couple of years and even if you end up sellin it for $ 3,000, you're only out of pocket a couple of grand. No big deal, and you'd loose twice that on anything newer. And as Vintagerider said, that model year was probably the best year ever for the Oilhead GS.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #38
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,212
Mike, your bike looks beautiful!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #39
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Thanks Marty. It's a keeper. Just turned 50,000 a few weeks ago. I can relate to this thread......I've got a nice older bike that is worth much more than it's book value. I was really considering selling it and it's stable mate, an 07 1200GT, in on a new GS, but the dollars they were talking just didn't make sense in the end. The GS has about $ 4,000 in aftermarket stuff on it, and I could put it back to stock and sell off all the goodies and re coup some additional funds. But that would really take away from the bike I built. So, they both stay. And truth be told, and I know you just picked up your new GS, but I had a chance last week to ride a friends 2011 GSA for an hour or so, and I got off it appreciating my GS more than ever.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #40
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,587
Mileage too high?

That mileage is about right for everything that wears out or is abused to have been replaced.

As for the price, I'm not spending my money, you are spending yours...so, I wish you the best with your decision.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #41
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

Oddometer: 52
Based on the consensus here I bought the bike - $5500 + TTL & "fees" - out the door for $6500.

Yeah, I know, I probably paid too much and I'll never get it back when I'm ready to move on. But...

After talking to Curt - the previous owner (not the original owner), I'm extremely confident that the wear items have been replaced in a timely manner - and even more. It seems that the motor was rebuilt at just over 101,000 miles. That included a new clutch.

There's lots more that was taken care of - most mentioned by various folks in this thread.

So... there is always a chance that something will fail but I'm confident that I have a (mostly) relatively low mileage really great looking bike.

Once insurance is arranged and the final payment paid, it's mine - picking it up Tuesday afternoon.

Let's go riding Curt - though not in the rain that's coming next week!

Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #42
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
i have the twin bike to the one your looking at. with alot of farkles 60k miles . i paid $5,500 i wonder if a bike at 60k or 100k is a better deal since all the failure items seems to showup at 60k or earlier.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #43
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,001
Congrats, you did fine and that bike will keep on giving miles of smiles for many, many years to come
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #44
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Very nice bike....enjoy.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #45
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Congratulations! You got a great deal. Lots of miles ahead on a proven reliable mc. Probably needs nothing. Those who base their purchase decision on "newer model year, lower mileage" end up paying much, much more after catch up repairs not to mention lost time. Its a lesson many need to learn themselves.

Happy trails.