Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #46
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
Who said I no experience on two wheels on ice??
Two wheels in traffic + snow and ice = " FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Fixed that for you!
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #47
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
From someone who, for nearly 40 yrs, has driven in snow/ice/winter conditions 6-7 months per year on 4 wheels, .......my advice is there's a lot of TERRIBLE advice in this thread, and if you're caught in snow / packed snow or ice .... you need to be fearful of staying upright AND the other guy on the road..It's one thing if your playing around off road, but personally, I'd never ride any bike in traffic.
I agree 100%, and if you live in a country like Finland, snow and ice bound for about six months of the year, you'll agree as well. Even with stud's on tyres, cars must have studed tyres from november to march, riding a motorcycle on icy roads would be fucking lunacy. I have never seen a bike on the road here, in the mid winter month's, it's just not on. Scooter's and mopeds with studs, yes. I've got a friend that rides a scooter, max speed 45kmh, thru the winter, you can hardly call it riding, more like walking, and he drops it at least dozen times a winter. My advice would be, if you don't absolutely have to, don't do it.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #48
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,335
A few guys over here did the Ironbutt-ride in midwinter, 1600kms/24hrs, and coldest temperatures were lower than -30C. Solo bikes, too, no sidecar. And I think they plan to repeat it so that they'll stay north of the Arctic Circle all the time!

Lunatics... but real winter-riding pros, too
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #49
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
hi all, ive got a bit of a strange question that i thought might not be so strange for you guys considering the riding you all do. it got to do with snow/mud chains. im riding a DR650 around the world at the moment and being in SE Asia right now have found that mud is a pretty common road building material here. and not the nice mud that makes a rider look good blasting through it. this is the slippery shit thats hard to walk on. i used chains once before to get out of the jungle and they worked really well.

now im starting to think about running some 50/50 tires and carrying a set of chains with me all the time. this would give me better tire milage and good grip when i need it. this will mean i wont have to be loading the bike down with heavy and awkward spare offroad tires that dont get as good milage as something more road oriented.

i know this is off topic, but i figured that guys that have more experience with chains than me are probably going to congregate here and could let me know of anything that i need to be aware of when running this kind of setup. good idea? bad idea? why? thanks in advance

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote