User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
old paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Tomorrow is here

At 68 or so I sold the R100RT for the reason everyone is talking about - mostly moving it around the garage and then out onto sloping gravel to get started down a long, fairly steep driveway. Tried a KLR and loved it for a year or so. Then on a whim picked up a VStrom 1000 and discovered it is still fun to ride fairly quickly. Now added an unfaired R90/6 and am happy again to be back on an Airhead. But now pushing 71, the day is coming to turn the Strom back into a KLR or similar. KLR is hard to beat, at least for those of us who have legs that reach the ground.
old paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,411
I'm 63-going on -4, with a 29" inseam. I've always stood at tippytoes on the bike and don't know no better. The big change over the past few years is I can't just throw my leg over the bike while holding it up-- just not "agile enough" anymore. I mount it with the bike on (Browns) sidestand: step up on the left footpeg with the left foot and swing the right leg over. Tilt the bike upright (to the right) and retract the sidestand. Dismount in reverse. Picking a dumped bike up is still easy-- lean with your back to the bike and "walk" it up.

I have no idea what the next 10, 20 or 30 years will bring, but I'll keep riding til I can't.

I am toying with the idea of getting a scooter for 'round the town jaunts. Something like a Helix. But heavens no, I refuse to become an old guy on a scooter. My intention-- and this idea is backed up by what was called "The Cycle of Doom" that I saw (Motorrad) Rick Jones riding at the last Barber Vintage-- is to get a Helix (or something like a...), strip all the tupperware off to a bare frame and give it the Steampunk or the Mad Max treatment. No big hurry on this-- I've got my feelers out and will happen upon the right bike at the right price. A scoot is a fun drive, but I only if I can be subtle.

--Bill

PS-- had a photo of part of the Doom Machine online:

Bill Harris screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 06:15 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #33
backfill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
scooter

I am 53 and my '92 R100R is much lighter than my Yamaha FJR, but they are both fun to ride. However, i can see the FJR eventually being too big to move around easily. Not yet, but i am sure it will happen.

My Dad is 83. He has been riding for years, but found his hip was bothering him so he couldn't throw a leg over a bike any longer. He bought a Yamaha Majesty 400 cc scooter and loves it! We occasionally go for rides and the scooter is very fast, easy to move around, really low center of gravity, and has great wind protection. He can even put a couple of bags of groceries under the seat. Dad rides with guys on cruisers and they are impressed with how easy he can move it around.

I LOVE riding scooters, but usually keep it to 50cc. Small scooters are the only bikes i have ever owned that I can ride with the throttle wide open all of the time. I ride my scooter mostly in the country - it is like riding a bicycle but you don't have to pedal - but I also use them in town. Scooters just plain work well, so don't think of them as the end of motorcycling. New scooters are really motorcycles in a slightly different form.
backfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #34
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
-- is to get a Helix (or something like a...), strip all the tupperware off to a bare frame and give it the Steampunk or the Mad Max treatment.
Bill what you are describing was sold by Honda. It's called a Big Ruckus. Here is a shot of a good friends Ruck. She has to carry a cane as she has a very game left leg, but a step-thru frame allows her to ride all over the country.

rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I'm 67 and have a stable of bikes, 2003 Kawi Vulcan 1600, 76 R90/6, 76 R75/6, 77 Yamaha XS 650, 73 Triumph Tiger, and a 70 Guzzi Ambo basket case. I ride the 2003 Vulcan the least, it's low so I can flat foot it, newer so it's reliable, and a pig at slow speeds. I only keep it to go on long trips or if my wife want's to go for a ride. The rest are smaller, easier to handle, and more fun. As far as getting a newer bike so I don't have to work on it, forget it! What else have I got to do? That's what keeps me busy all winter, preparing for summer riding. And if one craps out during riding season I have others to ride til I can get it back going. Right now I feel I could hop on any one of my bikes and go anyplace in the country, without a second thought. Well not the Guzzi as thats still in process. Anyway when you retire you need something to occupy your mind, body, and time. For me that's my older bikes, fishing, and shooting. I don't have enough time to devote to all my hobby's and keep the wife happy too! Poor me!
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
type918 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Garblin:

Sounds like you've got it pretty well figured out! Long may you ride. And wrench.
type918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #37
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,764
This is the Airhead thread, no one mentioned an R-65. Has all the qualities we're looking for in a smaller, lower, lighter package.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #38
Bikaholic51
Electric Kaiser

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbln View Post
I'm 67 and have a stable of bikes, 2003 Kawi Vulcan 1600, 76 R90/6, 76 R75/6, 77 Yamaha XS 650, 73 Triumph Tiger, and a 70 Guzzi Ambo basket case. I ride the 2003 Vulcan the least, it's low so I can flat foot it, newer so it's reliable, and a pig at slow speeds. I only keep it to go on long trips or if my wife want's to go for a ride. The rest are smaller, easier to handle, and more fun. As far as getting a newer bike so I don't have to work on it, forget it! What else have I got to do? That's what keeps me busy all winter, preparing for summer riding. And if one craps out during riding season I have others to ride til I can get it back going. Right now I feel I could hop on any one of my bikes and go anyplace in the country, without a second thought. Well not the Guzzi as thats still in process. Anyway when you retire you need something to occupy your mind, body, and time. For me that's my older bikes, fishing, and shooting. I don't have enough time to devote to all my hobby's and keep the wife happy too! Poor me!
So I am not the only one that collects Guzi basket cases??? Nice to know. Mine is a 72 eldo. plus a couple two stroke projects. Will be 62 and retired in a couple weeks. Riding a 99 R1100GS as my main ride. 96K on the clock. Then for fun I have an 04 R1100S. I think about selling this bike regularly but it is too much fun and they do not seem to be worth too much. And then of course I have the /5's One with a hack. the hack will keep me riding for a long long time.

88 R100RT-82 R100S-72 R75/5-70 R75/5 hack
Bikaholic51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #39
zenduddhist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I am 48 years old, but looking ahead. I already have 2 sidecar rigs that I plan on using as I get older. I ride them now for fun, but as I get older, I plan on riding them out of necessity. Sidecars are a blast and are very "age friendly".
1974 Vespa Rally 200
1975 Norton Commando 850
1980 Vespa P200e
2010 Triumph T-100 w/sidecar
2011 BMW R1200RT
2013 Honda CB1100
2013 Vespa GTV300E
zenduddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #40
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikaholic51 View Post
So I am not the only one that collects Guzi basket cases??? Nice to know. Mine is a 72 eldo. plus a couple two stroke projects. Will be 62 and retired in a couple weeks. Riding a 99 R1100GS as my main ride. 96K on the clock. Then for fun I have an 04 R1100S. I think about selling this bike regularly but it is too much fun and they do not seem to be worth too much. And then of course I have the /5's One with a hack. the hack will keep me riding for a long long time.

Cool, so I'm not the only fool out there. I Retired at 62 also, best thing I ever did. Keep your garage full of projects! I have enough bikes that are suitable for sidecars so that is my plan, to find a sidecar and slap one on one of the bikes when I feel the need. But not quite yet, and they do take up more space.
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #41
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Side-car rigs - what is the advantage? You've got more size and weight but easier to throw a leg over? Harder to maneuver and store. Educate me on this please.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #42
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595

With sidecars you can be old and go fast.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
zenduddhist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
With a properly setup sidecar, it's my experience, that they are very easy to maneuver. Depending on the bike and setup, they can be quite easy to steer. Don't have to worry about bad knees, ankles, etc. holding up a bike at stoplights, turns, etc. Can't drop one while at a standstill. Of course, there are limitations. I suppose if one has arthritis, carpel tunnel, etc., it could be difficult to operate a sidecar. But, they are sidecars made for people in wheelchairs, amputees, etc.

Plus, they look cool, and chicks dig 'em. Put a cute dog in the car and you will have to beat 'em off with your cane...
1974 Vespa Rally 200
1975 Norton Commando 850
1980 Vespa P200e
2010 Triumph T-100 w/sidecar
2011 BMW R1200RT
2013 Honda CB1100
2013 Vespa GTV300E
zenduddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #44
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenduddhist View Post
With a properly setup sidecar, it's my experience, that they are very easy to maneuver. Depending on the bike and setup, they can be quite easy to steer. Don't have to worry about bad knees, ankles, etc. holding up a bike at stoplights, turns, etc. Can't drop one while at a standstill. Of course, there are limitations. I suppose if one has arthritis, carpel tunnel, etc., it could be difficult to operate a sidecar. But, they are sidecars made for people in wheelchairs, amputees, etc.

Plus, they look cool, and chicks dig 'em. Put a cute dog in the car and you will have to beat 'em off with your cane...
A hack is a chick magnet? Thanks for the warning! I'm doing all I can to avoid the other gender right now after extricating myself from my last relationship quite recently. All I need right now is my Beemer and a steady supply of ale/wine to keep me happy these days. I even wear a ring to keep those hot 85 year olds who are living in my new neighbourhood at bay.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #45
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenduddhist View Post
[SNIP]

It's a double edged sword (or maybe a multi-use tool??):

"So I got a sidecar and travel with my dog. She never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks I would never approach on my own introverted self, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing she's ever heard."

I _think_ this is someone's TagLine on ADV. Very poignant. Thanks.

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 08:46 AM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote