User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Wanderer1 OP
Tuesday

Oddometer: 146
Coming back to the fold...

A few years since my last R1200GS, the intervening time spent on a Ducati Multistrada 1200, but I find now I'm coming back to the GS with a used GS Adventure hopefully mine this coming weekend.

Given my last one was the older pushrod engine, and the new GSA is a 2010 DOHC GS Adventure - are there any particular things I should look for/look out for in the new and updated engine?

From riding impressions it seems quite a different lump to the old 2007 engine, a lot more midrange and happier to sustain 90+mph comfortably.

Also, for those of you with the BMW GPS - I've currently got a Zumo 220 (NOT a fan of it!) and the new bike will have the Touratech GPS mount pre-installed by the last owner. Is it worth forking up all that cash for the BMW Navigator IV?

(Also moved countries in the intervening time - took the Ducati with me, big mistake!)
Wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer1 View Post
I've currently got a Zumo 220 (NOT a fan of it!
Yeah, well, I found the Zumo 220 a big disappoint after having used a Zumo 450
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,367
What was the matter with the Multi?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
What was the matter with the Multi?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Wanderer1 OP
Tuesday

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post

Well - a combination of factors to be honest.
I found that even post-updates, the low speed fueling led to very lurchy performance around town, and while the throttle was all kinds of fun to abuse when romping around, I felt it was actually very tiring to ride with for long distances*. I don't have space for a second bike, so I need something I can live with fairly easily as well as being entertaining.

At 13000 miles, the dashboard failed - replaced in warranty but would have been *very* expensive if out of warranty. The dealer was sadly unable to replicate the mileage or the service indicator intervals. Couple this with the fact that UK dealer servicing was *astronomically* expensive, even with the valve checks being every 15k, and I prefer to do a lot of mileage per year. (Also, being a US import, and a Ducati I was paying absurd insurance).

*Mine was a very very early 2010 model - I don't know if this has been addressed in later years.

I know the GS mechanically well, having self-serviced my last one entirely. I briefly pondered a K1300S - amazing motor, but looked at honestly how often I'd exploit it, and still keep my license. 0-80mph is the area I find the most fun - that bike really lit up when well into 3 digits, and I knew I'd be there too often if I rode it.

At some point I'll get something for weekend lunacy - I LOVE the Hypermotard, and the air-cooled versions are simple-ish to service. For the rest of the time the GS ticks all my boxes - hell, even did a few trackdays on my old one, and wasn't left behind by my sportbike-riding friends on the road much. Well, not at least until *well* into arrest-me-now territory.

Edit: Also, fuel mileage. I barely got terrible mpg on the Multistrada. Frequently found myself filling up at 140 miles or less - and I really hate stopping. I used Fuelly.com to track it for a while - I got LOW 30s.

Wanderer1 screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 11:53 AM
Wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,070
The Nav IV is a repackaged ZUMO 660, with a different base that gives you four buttons to the left of the screen. The NAV IV is Ok, but I may eventually just go to my iPhone 4S and a GPS program. In BRIGHT sunlight, the screen on the NAV IV is difficult to see.

The enduro transmission on the cam heads plus the extra HP and torque make it a wheelie monster, especially with a rider in pillion, if you more than crack the throttle. Get the BMW topbox to keep your pillion from falling off the back, and you will still get some kidney punches.

My 2011 is definitely better than my 2007 GSA, but both are great bikes. The 07 has Ohlins, Woodies wheels, and other add ons, and the 2011 already has correctly sprung Wilbur's ESA, which make the limited adjustability of the stock BMW ESA very usable. The Touratech wind deflector will help a lot if you are taller than 5'10".

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?

ultane screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 07:28 PM
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote