Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
STUFF2C OP
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,482
Bad Ass Helmet Speaker

Well? what happened to your install?
I just got one and stuck it to my helmet (temporarily)... HOLLY CHIT! this Mighty Dwarf BluII is ten watts and turns my helmet into a complete surround sound system, and it can get REALLY LOUD! no problem overcoming earplugs. Now just how to mount it, looks like they have a wall mount that may work with a little southern engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.zardoz
I like tunes on the road as well. I do NOT like wearing headphones or earbuds. I have a really cool sollution for this ;)

The first is a 5watt "Mighty Dwarf" http://www.mightydwarf.com/product/5w-mighty-dwarf . This little aluminum device is super dam cool! When it's all by itself in your hand it hardly makes ANY noise at all, when you place it on a table or any "resonant" surface it turns that surface into a speaker! I mount mine on my helmet, this turns my helmet into a speaker! And it sounds awesome!!!!

The folks at Mighty Dwarf must have been listening to me because they did exactly what I wanted them to do... they built a very similar unit to the Mighty Dwarf... but with some really cool added features... such as Bluetooth! The Bluetooth version is called the "Mighty Dwarf Blueii" http://www.mightydwarf.com/product/blueii . I'm going to pick up one of these next week. The addition of Bluetooth let's me connect this to my cell phone so I can use the mp3 player capability of the phone. If I get a tank bag with a clear top/front pouch to hold my phone, I can see and access the buttons on my phone.

The REALLY cool thing about the Blueii model is that I can also make and receive cell phone calls with my helmet on! I'm unsure how well the phone call option will work with, but if it works even half as good as the non-bluetooth version does I'm gonna be a happy camper indeed! The non-bluetooth version has an SD card reader so I can load that with my music sellection for hours and hours and hours of music... the "Dwarf's" also have a jack so you can use it as an extension speaker run from anything that has an earphone jack "out".

These units are equipped with rechargeable Lipo batteries (sealed inside) that last "about" 8 hours on a charge. The company offers a couple of different mounting options... they offer what they call a "glass mount" which is a simple suction cup mount similar to a GPS window mount. They also offer a mount they call a "porous surface mount" , this is the one I have for my helmet. I simply roughed up a little spot on my helmet and used some epoxy to glue the mount to it. It's a little bit "inelegant" ... but I put a couple of strips of tape over it to make sure the unit doesn't come loose from the mount as the mount isn't really intended for "rough use" such as some of the bouncing and shaking that you might get on a bike ;)

I'm considering selling these units. I can get them for a pretty reasonable price (wholesale). If there is enough interest in these I just might do it.

"Keep on Rockin in the Free World"!

tyz

ps: I've also messed around with a bluetooth headset from "Rocketfish" that I've stripped down and mounted inside my helmet... I didn't really like the way it sounded so I went looking for a better solution.. the "Mighty Dwarf" was the PERFECT fit!

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
There web sight sucks. Can't tell wtf it is
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,866
Send it to Vendors...
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
STUFF2C OP
We Ain't Left Yet!!

SPAM--- goofy fkr! its a reply to a thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
Send it to Vendors...

Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
I see where StmbtDave is coming from. If this is a response to another post, shouldn't it be in the original thread?

I don't see how bolting a 2" x 2" can to the outside of your helmet "turns my helmet into a complete surround sound system". That doesn't make any sense from a physics point of view.

Also, it doesn't look weatherproof....

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Cool technology though. It reminds me of when the Vogons destroyed earth. Lol
bracky72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
STUFF2C OP
We Ain't Left Yet!!

You may have flunk'd out of physics... maybe a little homework and then re-post. here I'll help get you started You may be correct about the weather part, you may have to remove it when it's raining.

It works really well at turning your whole helmet into a speaker.

NO SPAM just another gadget that may or may not be your cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I see where StmbtDave is coming from. If this is a response to another post, shouldn't it be in the original thread?

I don't see how bolting a 2" x 2" can to the outside of your helmet "turns my helmet into a complete surround sound system". That doesn't make any sense from a physics point of view.

Also, it doesn't look weatherproof....

Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
I am assuming it has to be mounted on the flat side. I don't really understand how you are going to mount it to your helmet in a way that it will be possible to remove it easily. Maybe you could make a video and show how it works and how you plan to mount it. Looks like a cool idea if you could figure out the mounting.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
STUFF2C OP
We Ain't Left Yet!!

They sell a "wall" mount. I figured i could attach that to the back of my helmet and just snap it in when i want to use it.

the blutooth version is kind of big, so it would look wierd... think a tiny second helmet growing out the back.

But the sound in the helmet is unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
I am assuming it has to be mounted on the flat side. I don't really understand how you are going to mount it to your helmet in a way that it will be possible to remove it easily. Maybe you could make a video and show how it works and how you plan to mount it. Looks like a cool idea if you could figure out the mounting.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
You may have flunk'd out of physics... maybe a little homework and then re-post. here I'll help get you started You may be correct about the weather part, you may have to remove it when it's raining.

It works really well at turning your whole helmet into a speaker.

NO SPAM just another gadget that may or may not be your cup of tea.
Well, seeing as how "surround sound" requires a minimum of 4 speakers (front, right, left and rear) and you have turned your helmet into one speaker, the physics don't work. If you said "It works really well at turning your whole helmet into a speaker." from the beginning, I might have believed you.

Surface speakers have been around for a long time and generally offer poor acoustics because the size of the flat surface and resonance frequencies vary so much from one surface to another. You would need a surface speaker specifically designed for the acoustics of a motorcycle helmet to get any sort of decent sound quality.

Of course, it is possible that the Mighty Dwarf and your helmet acoustically align and everything works well, if so, congratulations.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
You really want this mount screwed (no pun...) onto your helmet? And I'm not even talking about this "speaker" sticking out...and waterproofing (or the lack of).

OK...
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
STUFF2C OP
We Ain't Left Yet!!

what do you just troll around looking to knit pick threads? something constructive would make you look more like a real Canadian... you must be French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Well, seeing as how "surround sound" requires a minimum of 4 speakers (front, right, left and rear) and you have turned your helmet into one speaker, the physics don't work. If you said "It works really well at turning your whole helmet into a speaker." from the beginning, I might have believed you.

Surface speakers have been around for a long time and generally offer poor acoustics because the size of the flat surface and resonance frequencies vary so much from one surface to another. You would need a surface speaker specifically designed for the acoustics of a motorcycle helmet to get any sort of decent sound quality.

Of course, it is possible that the Mighty Dwarf and your helmet acoustically align and everything works well, if so, congratulations.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
STUFF2C OP
We Ain't Left Yet!!

I was thinking more along the line of a good dbl sided tape... defiantly NO screws
If I get it done i'll make sure I post pics of the abomination.

And let you know how the "surrounding sound" (for the asshat in Canada) sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
You really want this mount screwed (no pun...) onto your helmet? And I'm not even talking about this "speaker" sticking out...and waterproofing (or the lack of).

OK...

Old 12-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
It's also a violation a federal law to attach anything more than 5mm to your helmet.

FMVSS 218:

Quote:
S5.5 Projections: A helmet shall not have any rigid projections inside its shell. Rigid projections outside any helmet's shell shall be limited to those required for operation of essential accessories, and shall not protrude more than 0.20 inch (5 mm).
Not saying I agree with it but it is something you can get legitimately ticketed for. (By dickhead cops.) If you do some Googling you'll find that people have gotten tickets for helmet-mounted cams and even comm systems attached to their helmets.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 722
I went to that web site. Sucks. Sucks so bad that I left with the feeling it was some kind of a ripoff site. Never could find a price. Have to enable javascripts just to send an email.
Midnightventure is online now   Reply With Quote