User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
ridewv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Sargent Compared To Stock, With Pictures

I picked Sargent's Enduro seat because I wanted a flat seat that I can shift back and forth on. It arrived today, I didn't get to go for a ride yet but I've been sitting on it. For anyone considering a replacement seat I thought I'd describe how it compares to the standard height stock seat on my F650GS.

First, what was wrong with the stock seat (for me) is a combination of things. It's slightly too narrow which is made worse by the fact it's raised in the middle from side to side. The foam is too soft. And there's also a raised crown effect back to front, just behind where the rider sits. So while the overall seat isn't too sloped down to the front, where you sit can be.

Factory standard seat is 9 1/2" wide where I sit.

The straight edge illustrates how crowned it is.

The Sargent is over 2" wider.

Unlike the crowned stock seat the Sargent is slightly dished giving nice support at the edges. Actually a little more than it shows because the cover is somewhat spanning from side to side.

The foam is firmer than stock but not as much as a Corbin, it feels good. I can feel no forward slope and the seat is plenty wide where you sit yet
narrow in the front portion. The seat pan underneath has the same slots for the tools along with a nice little compartment.

The front left "point" was a little lower than the right. I just added an 1/8" shim where the left front support rests and it aligns correct now, even better than the stock one.

Were I ordering it again I probably would delete the welt, but overall I'm quite satisfied.
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Nice. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I'd be curious to hear how comfortable this seat is after you log some riding time. I purchased an Airhawk and that has delayed my new seat quest for awhile but I'll probably pick up an aftermarket seat eventually.
BuilderScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
I've been riding on my Sargent enduro seat for 8 months or so and about 8,000 miles. Compared to stock, I'm pretty happy with it. It's not perfect but for an off-the-shelf option it's a very good fit for my shape and how/where I ride.

As has been noted in other threads it is wider and a 1/2 inch or so taller where you sit so if you already find the bike marginally too tall this may not help.

The build quality is good. Mine didn't fit as closely on the front edge/points as the stock seat and consequently my jacket will occasionally catch on one of the seat points when mounting the bike or moving around off road. This hasn't caused a real problem but can be distracting. Also, the seat shows a little more gap under the sides. Neither of these are deal killers but are worthy of note.

As for comfort, I actually like the stock seat better for trail use as it is narrower and lower, which makes it easier to move around and get the boots on the ground. To and from the trail, however, and especially on the ride home from the trail, the Sargent is much better. The wider, dished seat offers better support and spreads the pressure better across my not-very-narrow rear end. If I was looking for a strictly long-distance road seat, I would look elsewhere for something with a bit more fore/aft dish like Sargent's classic sport-touring seat or maybe a Corbin. I believe the fore/aft dish helps keep me from slouching and from my rear rolling back and stressing the lower back. However, for cross-town riding, commuting and such, it's pretty good. I have done 6 or so 300+ mile days very comfortable on the Sarget where the stock seat had me squirming before 100 miles and in agony after much more than that.

Like everything "dual sport", the Sarget Enduro seat is a compromise. The wider perch offers more support and the flat, more level top front-to-back allows more movement than a touring saddle. There are better long-distance road seats and better off-road seats but this compromise fits my use better than stock.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I had that seat... did a 6k mile trip with it. It's not bad, but not great either, IMHO. But since then I had Bill Mayer make me a custom seat... much better! This is perfection. And it actually cost less than the Sargent did.
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
I have the Sargent touring seat, and although it is quite comfortable, I find it restricts my ability to move rearward when riding off highway. Never a problem standing up, and very comfortable for long highway days; I've done a few 900 Km days on it.

I Just went ahead and ordered the Sargent Enduro. They warned me that the passenger portion has very thin foam before I ordered it, but since I never carry a passenger (don't even have the passenger pegs on the bike ) that was not a concern for me. The extra 1/2" of height is not a big issue either as I'm gifted with a lengthy 34" inseam. I'll compare the Enduro to the Touring seat and see which one I decide to keep, but I think I know the answer all ready.

[hint]Watch for a gently used Sargent touring seat for sale soon. [/hint]
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
Thanks ridewv for the review. I just got back from a 300 mile ride and my butt was killing me. I was looking at the Sargent seat and you answered all my questions.

I had a Sargent on a KLR and liked it real well. I'm probably going to order one for my 800.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
Thanks ridewv for the review. I just got back from a 300 mile ride and my butt was killing me.....
LOL sorebutt, great name!
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
wasa10
BMW4Me

Oddometer: 1
Super good info, I have just ordered mine.
wasa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
westy1717
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Have a question here folks - Im a noob..

Looked at a 09 today with 20K kms from second owner - he bought from BMW dealer after trading in a 650GS - and he's changed his mind on it.

Bike looks real good cosmetically and mechanically (took it for a mild test drive) - and seller has all the paperwork including BMW service records. Still under factory warranty until April 13.

Question is around seating..

I noticed a pic earlier in this thread comparing sargeant seat with stock (not sure how to include pics in my post). The current owner says its in "normal" seat (not low/not high) - but it is textured - like the sargeant seat.

Were the 09 seats non-textured seats? I was a little surprised to sit on the bike and flat foot (slight heels up) with 32.5" inseam.

It sure looked like the texturing on the sargeant seat on the earlier post.

Am I hijacking a thread? If so - apologies.
westy1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
ridewv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The stock seat above is the standard seat off an 09. It does have a fine texture which is actually grippier than the coarser appearing cover on the Sargent. I guess the reason BMW shaped the seat narrow and crowned is to make it easy for people to reach the ground with both feet.

Since I started this thread I'll add my current impression of the Sargent after living with it. One change I would do if I were ordering one is to have them continue the wide part of the seat forward an additional inch or so before narrowing it. The reason is I find myself sitting right where it's narrowing so there's no thigh support. When I purposely lean forward, by pushing myself back on the seat, it's perfect. As it is it's still good and a huge improvement over the regular stock seat.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 517
I've had my sargent seat shown here for 3 seasons now, over 30k miles...so here is my update.

the quality is great. No signs of wear...evan when I drag my dirty boot across the seat...it clean right up with a rag.

I very much like the wide flat seat that allows forward and back ward movement on long days. No wedgies either.

Last past summer I put on several 500 miles days in a row. my butt held up pretty well.

Now every one butt is NOT the same...some like firm seats some like pillowy bucket type seats...sit on one before you buy
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I bought my 800 and ordered a Sargent the same day. The stock seat is just to ride home with. A choice you have to make is between the Sargent World which has a contoured place for your but or the more bench like seats which are better off road. The custom seat makers Meyer or Russel are the best in the world, but after that it's Sargent. Dave
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
mAthosalas
Costas

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28 View Post
...I had Bill Mayer make me a custom seat... much better! This is perfection. And it actually cost less than the Sargent did.
Any photos?Price?

mAthosalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
ridewv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Keep this in mind when you figure "cost". When you sell your bike you can do so with an almost new stock seat on it then sell your desirable aftermarket seat and recoup most of what it cost.

Another nice one is BMW's Comfort seat. It wasn't out yet when I started this thread. The riders portion is a bucket which is a bit lower but nice and flat. If you have long legs it may restrict you as you can't slide back and forth.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 517
FWIW every one's butt is different.

Just because some one like Russell or sergeant does NOT mean that is the best seat for your butt.

Russell and sergeant for the most part are VERY different seat design/philosophies....both high quality.

Take the time to try both and others....find the seat that YOUR butt likes
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote