I was just wondering if anyone has done so
And of so what troubles did you in counter
Pictures please
extremecody1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,811
For the criminal prices even slightly used trials bikes seem to sell for, I can't imagine why anyone would bother.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I think it has more to do with the fun and challenge of doing it than the money you could spend on a real one.
If I had the welding skills to do it, I'd like to build a Can Am, but my own, not the production 350. A 175 TNT would do it.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,019
I had a Hodaka Road Toad last year that I kept thinking about making into a vintage twin shock trials bike. Hodaka with its ball-lock transmission had the most compact and light motors of the era.

But the clutch sucked, and I know myself too well. I sold the bike.

I'd've gone nuts trying to improve every aspect of the bike. Awareness of the many sub optimal elements of older designs can be a curse. It can also be a blessing. Life is short, and I'd rather spend what yummy time I have riding the moderns
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
I had a Hodaka Road Toad last year that I kept thinking about making into a vintage twin shock trials bike. Hodaka with its ball-lock transmission had the most compact and light motors of the era.

But the clutch sucked, and I know myself too well. I sold the bike.

I'd've gone nuts trying to improve every aspect of the bike. Awareness of the many sub optimal elements of older designs can be a curse. It can also be a blessing. Life is short, and I'd rather spend what yummy time I have riding the moderns
+1.
The Hodakas were the GG's of there time. I loved my 1972 super rat. Taught me alot about working on bikes - would split the cases to repair the tranny in between motos on many occasion... My 1st lesson in what happens when you exceed the design parameters of a mechanical entity. Probably why I love the chrome frame GG's as well.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Lotsa interest in Hodakas, mainly in vintage enduro crowds. I wouldn't mind a nice example myself.
I have a 84 DR125 4t that can mimic a twin shock that I've been eyeing to lighten. I use it as a buddie bike. It is very capable in 1st and 2nd gear but higher than that you better be on level ground.
It weighs in at about 205 and I can easily shed 10 without changing the 2.5gl tank.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354

This is NOT a trials bike. But is a conversion that rides in our vintage club.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,851
I converted several Hodaka's back in the 70's. PaBatCo published a paper on the steps, it would be similar for a new trail bike.
- move the pegs back and down, lots more weight on the rear wheel and a lighter front.
- gearing, low
- torquey, clean running engine. Retarded timing, lower compression, reed valve intakes, heavy flywheel, smaller carb, work on the expansion chamber - longer head pipe and more I can't remember.
- quicker steering, cut down steering stops, and for the extreme - change the head angle to steeper by cutting the frame backbone and adding 1-2",
- big 4.00x18" rear trials.
- less weight - lost the chrome tank
Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
DyrWolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
http://www.avtatrials.com/BillGrapevine.pdf

Check this guy out.
DyrWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,156
this was an interesting conversion of a cheap chinese dirt bike. the guy did a comprehensive build thread here.

I had a few rides on it and it was surprisingly good. other club members said they felt it was somewhere between an old twin shock and an early monoshock.

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
DaveB74
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Back in the early 70s, I rode a Sherpa T out of a shop in Richmond, KY. The owner of the shop was a skilled machinist and trials nut who built the most tidy Hodaka Wombat for trials that was nothing short of spectacular. The bike belonged to a customer but Tom took it as a pet project for him and donated most of the labor just to see if he could accomplish the task.

As I remember, he did the following:
Cylinder mods with reed valve
Relocated pegs back and down
Machined a flywheel weight out of bronze and pressed it on the stock one
Custom built tank
Custom seat
PP fenders with front low mounted
Lowered gearing
SM bars
Laced Akront wheels on stock hubs
Cut frame cradle and fabricated custom skid plate that became integral frame

I don't remember of he changed the steering head, but the bike was very capable and competitive in trials events.

I believe the bike is still around, somewhere in the Central Kentucky area.
DaveB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #12
trials935
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
What was Tom's last name? I rode against both McWilliams brothers in the 70's. Thanks, Ken Farler
trials935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
DaveB74
n00b

Ken,

I remember you. It was Tom Clark and the Wombat was built for John McWilliams II, who was the father.

I believe Tom still has it tucked away somewhere. He lives in Nicholasville now.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
trials935
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I remember Tom and the Hodaka he built for Pappy, it was a nice bike, how's Pappy and Jim and John doing?
trials935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
DaveB74
n00b

John still lives on the family farm and is retired now for a few years. He was involved in a rather serious accident on a sport bike a number of years ago, and as a result, could no longer work. His physical being is quite changed as you may have remembered him. He now rides a Goldwing and tours with a group.

Jim now lives in the Atlanta area and manages the transportation system for a drug company.

Pappy suffered a massive heart attack about 2 years ago and died as a result. As you might imagine, it was devastating for John.

I have some photos of that Hodaka here and will attempt to locate them to post in the near future.