User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Jo-Nathan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
New to me 2005 GG 300 Raga, got some questions

So I picked up a pretty well used 05 Raga last week for pretty cheap. As mentioned, it's pretty well used and with that has come some issues. It pukes coolant sometimes and seems like the compression might be a little low. Compression readings are at ~90-100 psi. Being no 2-stroke super-expert, I don't know if this is super low or just kinda low. It's a little hard to start and occasionally will feel like it has almost no compression when kicking slowly. If I need rings, where's the best place to get them and a gasket set? Regarding the coolant-puking thing...any thoughts or common problems with this on these bikes? Could it be related to the compression issue? I flushed the system once and it seems to have gotten a little better, but isn't completely cured. The water pump looks to be ok and appears to be moving coolant throughout the system. Should I just keep flushing it? Can I run it with just water and no antifreeze for now?

Thanks for the help!
Jo-Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,066
http://www.gasgas.com/tech.htm
If you fill the rad all the way it will puke. If it settles a little after the initial leveling it is ok. Water by itself will boil out. This website should help. You could use a fresh piston and rings, but you never know until you take it apart. They take a quick kick to start. You want to engage the kick starter gears before you kick. If you just jab at the kicker, all kinds of shit will break. Kick start gear, idler gear and sometimes the case itself. They are a great bike to ride, but have there own quirks.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Undertheoaks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Thumb

Awesome bikes I have the 280 Pro TXT 05, On the radiator make sure you use coolant as the magnesium water pump housing will fail if not used, they rot out. Also make sure your cooling fan turns on otherwise it will boil over due to overheat from the slow speeds and replace the radiator cap as the pressure cap system will fail, spring breaks. On the compression issue GasGas used really thin gaskets on the base and rubber gasket o-ring on the head these too can fail, mine did. The rings and pistons rarely need replacement unless abused (dirty air filter, dirty oil or not enough premix or ridden like a dirt bike wide open) when you pull the cylinder to check piston, rings gaskets you will know. On parts deal with http://www.lewisportusa.com in Copperopolis Ca as they stock parts and are very knowledgable on every thing on that bike and will ship your parst very quickly, I can't recommend a better trials dealer. Good luck you got a good bike and it'll last a long time I still ride my 05 gas gas and compete on it and love it.
Undertheoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 811
Trials bikes are thankfully SO easy to work on! You need to pull the cylinder and head and inspect everything. Post photos here.

Short of a really damaged cylinder and piston (or trashed main bearings), you're probably just a few parts away from an adequate refresh.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:00 AM   #5
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
100 psi is super low for a two stroke, especially a trials bike two stroke. It's possible that the head gasket is leaking and causing the low compression pressure and the coolant puking. I'd pull the top end apart and have a look. It's super easy--wonderful thing about two strokes. Back when I was racing regularly a friend and I were working on bikes. I had to rebuild the top end on my husqvarna, he was changing oil on his LC4 bike. I finished first

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
Undertheoaks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
100 psi is super low for a two stroke, especially a trials bike two stroke. It's possible that the head gasket is leaking and causing the low compression pressure and the coolant puking. I'd pull the top end apart and have a look. It's super easy--wonderful thing about two strokes. Back when I was racing regularly a friend and I were working on bikes. I had to rebuild the top end on my husqvarna, he was changing oil on his LC4 bike. I finished first
I second that super easy, one time I changed the piston and rings on my 125 between moto's back in my motocross days.
Undertheoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Jo-Nathan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Yeah, I was thinking the head gasket might be leaking. Sometimes I'll kick it and it feels fine (well, like 100psi), and then the next few rotations fell like ~10-20 psi, and then it goes back to "normal".

Before I pull it apart, does anyone have the torque specs for the head/cylinder? Also, what's normal operating temperature?
Jo-Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
Don't know on tq specs. I think the last two stroke I rebuilt was 16 ft lbs. Also don't know on temp, but it'll likely be in the 160-180 deg F range.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote